Need Help! I seriously screwed up!

After placing my head where the sun does not shine - I decided to do a backup of my new 720 in Explorer.

I hooked up 720 to my computer, found the files, and instead of doing a 'copy' I just selected all and did a click and drag to my backup folder.

Apparently, I actually MOVED all of the files off of the 720. So now, it will not turn on, the computer does not recognize it - NOTHING.

HELP. PLEASE.

How can I get the files back on there if the computer won't recognize it?

I am assuming that this is what happened when I did the click and drag to my backup folder.

Thanks,
Shelley

DHN,

That did not help. My computer does not see the device at all. It is not listed in 'my computer' nor can I find it in Device Manager.

I cannot get the unit to turn on at all - in the dock, out of the dock - no response at all.

I find it hard to believe that I stripped all of the OS out of the unit but I might have. Is that possible?

Try a pin reset on the unit and dock it again. See if the computer at least recognizes there is an external drive there.

:) :D :cool:

Glad it worked for you. Now, make a complete Explorer backup by copying everything, eh? :p

Since you have removed the files, you will not be able to see your TomTom as an external drive until you have loaded some software via TomTom Home. Since you don't have any software on the device at the moment, you won't get the question "Do you want to connect to computer?"

All you need to do is turn on the device, leave it at the flashing red X, plug it in to the PC, start TomTom Home, then hit "update my go" and it will download a tiny piece of software onto the TomTom. You will be asked to disconnect and then reconnect the TomTom. Once you do that, hit "update my go" again and it will offer you a download of NavCore. Once it installs, you will be asked to disconnect and reconnect the TomTom again.

Just follow the instructions as they tell you and you will be good. Just keep hitting "update my go" until no more updates are available. I've done this MANY times.

If you still can't get it to work, I'll record a video of me doing the entire process from scratch so you can follow my steps. I'll upload the video on youtube.

Just let me know.

Grr what the heck!?!? My first post showed up here late, AFTER he had resolved his problem. I just finished recording and uploading the vid and all. My post showed up so late! I just spent all that time recording/uploading the vid and backing up/formatting my device for nothing lol. Ehh, at least this thread will help others.

Here's a link to it anyways.. BLAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfVe31au38E

Sage,

I very much appreciate you making the vid. I watched it and learned from it for sure. However, it would not have helped in this instance because I could not even turn on my 720.

There is no doubt that it will help others in the future.

Thanks
Shelley

I need to continue this thread with this issue.

After "fixing" my 720, I then proceeded to connect to TT Home and did an update. It was minor - a GPS quick fix thing and a small map share.

When the update was finished I experienced the same problem as before. The 720 froze so completely that it would not turn on, the computer would not recognize it and I had to do another reset.

Any thoughts? Glitchy 720 or just my luck?

I certainly don't want to have this problem each and every time that I dock the unit.

Thanks

I need to continue this thread with this issue.

After "fixing" my 720, I then proceeded to connect to TT Home and did an update. It was minor - a GPS quick fix thing and a small map share.

When the update was finished I experienced the same problem as before. The 720 froze so completely that it would not turn on, the computer would not recognize it and I had to do another reset.

Any thoughts? Glitchy 720 or just my luck?

I certainly don't want to have this problem each and every time that I dock the unit.

Thanks

For whatever strange reason, yesterday my device would not turn on at ALL. Docking/Undocking didn't make a difference. A pin reset sparked life into my 720 again. This has never happened before. This too, happened after updating. Ohh well. So far so good.

Try the clear flash tool found here.

I prefer this method instead

frustration.gif

Yeah, that works too....

Ever thought of working for TomTom Support?

Just askin ...... :) :D

Since you have removed the files, you will not be able to see your TomTom as an external drive until you have loaded some software via TomTom Home. Since you don't have any software on the device at the moment, you won't get the question "Do you want to connect to computer?"

All you need to do is turn on the device, leave it at the flashing red X, plug it in to the PC, start TomTom Home, then hit "update my go" and it will download a tiny piece of software onto the TomTom. You will be asked to disconnect and then reconnect the TomTom. Once you do that, hit "update my go" again and it will offer you a download of NavCore. Once it installs, you will be asked to disconnect and reconnect the TomTom again.

Just follow the instructions as they tell you and you will be good. Just keep hitting "update my go" until no more updates are available. I've done this MANY times.

If you still can't get it to work, I'll record a video of me doing the entire process from scratch so you can follow my steps. I'll upload the video on youtube.

Just let me know.

I wouldn't get to POd at yourself... give yourself a break (and a pat on the back)

TRUST me... this will have utility for a LONG time. It wasn't wasted time at all. I applaud the effort. It will help many in the future, I assure you.

Ask a Question