SD card compatibility

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
I only manage to found one or two threads on this but I am unsure.

Is there a problem with using SDHC cards like 8GB?
The thing is I am only seeing most of them SDHC type and only 2GB ones are SD normal.

I know I have to format them when I get it.

Like to get some info on this, so I can put some music on SD card.

One more thing is whether I need to put the map on SD card in order to use the SD card or can I leave the map with tomtom unit but still play music from SD card.

Regards,

Ok am I right to say 4GB SD cards should work without any hassle as oppose to a 8GB or 16GB?

I dont want to stuff around with formatting too much.

What kind of model do you have? For the Go series (7x, 9x) of TT's, you can use 4-gig sdhc cards (or higher if using firmware 8.3). The cards are usually formatted right out of the package.

Well, I am planning to get a San disk normal class 2 SDHC 4GB as wasnt sure the 8GB would work.

Is a shame that this had to be an issue at all because the normal SD card is like not popular anymore in the market and probably still could get 2GB ones.

Well, I am planning to get a San disk normal class 2 SDHC 4GB as wasnt sure the 8GB would work.

Is a shame that this had to be an issue at all because the normal SD card is like not popular anymore in the market and probably still could get 2GB ones.

Do an advanced search with my name and SDHC and you will get some helpful answers if you have a ONE model.

I dont believe what Tomtom says, after reading and researching:)

Have read most people gotten the bigger cards to work, just need to get around things thats all.

But being on the safe side, I didnt have much songs and I just went with a 4GB card.

Like said, ToTom should realise that SDHC is the standard for today SD card, we not going to have normal SD cards standing out there too much longer as 4GB cards are dirt cheap.

Attachments

• card.jpg
    card.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 504
I dont believe what Tomtom says, after reading and researching:)

Have read most people gotten the bigger cards to work, just need to get around things thats all.

But being on the safe side, I didnt have much songs and I just went with a 4GB card.

Like said, ToTom should realise that SDHC is the standard for today SD card, we not going to have normal SD cards standing out there too much longer as 4GB cards are dirt cheap.

A big distinction needs to be made here between ONE and GO models. They both use highly integrated chipsets made by Samsung. ONE models use a chipset that is compliant with the very old USB standard v1.1 while GO models use a more recent USB standard that is up to 40x faster in theory.

The ramifications of this fact is that, when the SDHC card is inside your TT ONE device AND linked to your PC with the USB cable, all file operations are very slow and most likely to corrupt files and FAT tables. It also made me urge those who consider SDHC cards in ONE models to use USB standard v2 card adapters (reader/writer) in order to properly use their SDHC cards.

As to assigning the blame, I say Samsung is the one responsible for not having revised their highly integrated chipset which does nearly everyhting on the hardware side of the gps device of most manufacturers. It holds the cpu, memory controller, I/O, bus, display control, gps chip, clock, speaker, RAM etc. All the manufacturer needs to do is add the case, choose the amount of RAM and internal memory screen (also supplied by Samsung), the gps chip and put the software with the map(s).

Last edited:
i only manage to found one or two threads on this but i am unsure.

Is there a problem with using sdhc cards like 8gb?
The thing is i am only seeing most of them sdhc type and only 2gb ones are sd normal.

I know i have to format them when i get it.

Like to get some info on this, so i can put some music on sd card.

One more thing is whether i need to put the map on sd card in order to use the sd card or can i leave the map with tomtom unit but still play music from sd card.

Regards,

was told only to use a 4 gig max card from support

I am still awaiting for my 4G card. You guys should have one of this clean threads about SD cards and have someone update a list of good acceptable cards.

At least we are better than the offical site. ;)

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

The above link is the ANSWER to different Tomtom units. Oh Well, I should have went 8GB.
The newest Go series are basically able to accept SDHC. BUT probably you need latest update in which your FM will be stuffed. OMG where does this ends.:confused:

Hope this settles the SD issue.
Well .. almost :p

• Moving a unit to version 8.300 or 8.301 code not only modifies the Navcore firmware, it modifies the unit's boot loader code as well.
  • Moving BACK to 8.010 via the file copy method only reverts the Navcore firmware to the prior version, NOT the new boot loader code that was associated with Navcore 8.300.
  • It is the boot loader (which remains updated after reverting to the previous firmware) that seems to manage the low level memory flash functions and is happy with 8 or 16GB cards.

So it's possible to avoid the pain of 8.300 (or at least to back out of it) and still get the benefit of the larger card functionality of 8.300!

Ask a Question