Safety/speed camera software travel to Italy

:confused:Quick question.. I'm new to the TOMTOM world... I have an XXL540 world edition.. Im from the US.. but I am about to travel to Italy.. How do download the autovelox( speed camera) software to my tomtom? I've been searching TOMTOM home for hours.. I can't seem to find it.. AllI see is a download for western europe maps.. Is the speed camera software already included once i download that map?
Also.. do i have to uninstall the US Canada and mexico map thats installed on my tom tom now in order to instal the map for Italy?
Please help.. I feel like such a moron when it comes to stuff like this..
Any info will be greatly appreciated..
Thank you[

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know what the speed camera data is you refer to. If a custom poi file, then you download it from the source and use Explorer to copy it to the Europe folder.

Which brings up the second point...........

If you have the WTE model, then you DO have Italy already installed on your unit.

Manage Maps-->Switch maps-->select Europe. Once done, you'll need to Navigate to a location and in the city screen, you must select Italy first. There should be a bunch of countrieds listed by flag (only a couple may show on screen, so use the scroll bar to get to Italy.)

Thank U DHN..

:thumb: Thank you so much for ur response.. I see now that I do as U say have Europe ALREADY installed on my Tom Tom device. Whewwwww...:rolleyes:
The SPeed Camaera Download that I was refering to is, I'm guesssing, know as "Safety Camera" data . There is a free download update but its only US and Canada...
Since I have the Euopean maps already Installed.. do I also have the Safety Camera for Europe info stored on there as well?? Or do I have to purchase it seperately.. And If I do.. Where??
As I said in my first thread... I searched and searched.. Couldn't find it..:confused:
One more thing..Is there a way just to update the Italy map?? Or must I downlaod the update for all off western Europe?
That popped up on my TomTom home page as soemthing to downlaod.. bur when I clicked.. it said that there wasn't enough room on the device and asked if I wanted to transfer my US maps to my computer??
Im sorry.. I'm just a little confused..
Again.. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to answer. You guys are SUCH a HUGE help to us!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about safety cameras for Italy at all.

I do know this.......................

The Europe map that came originally with your unit CANNOT be updated as it is because the update is too large for the storage available.

You can copy the USA_Canada (or North America) map to the computer and then delete it from the unit to get enough room for the Europe map but then you won't have enough room to put back the NA map.

What is likely to happen is that when you try to update the Europe map, you'll only be offered a zone of Europe (like Europe_West, Europe_North, etc.) to get installed because of space limitations.

BEFORE DOING ANY MAP UPDATING...............

Make an Explorer, NOT Home, backup of yiur unit's device.

Use Windows Explorer to view the files in the "Europe" or possibly "Western_Europe" map folder, the Italian speed camera file is called "Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2" if thats in place you will have speed camera warnings but please be aware the cameras are far from accurate - Mike

Ask a Question