Canada Safety/Speed Cameras

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Can anyone tell me if TomTom plans to offer the speed camera feature to Canada? Personally located in Winnipeg, MB and we have lots of cameras which are a pain in the ass.

I would gladly volunteer to go drive around the city and save the coordinates to submit to the TomTom database to have this feature.

If you have traffic cams, this will work if your city is excluded.

Are there Speed Cameras in Canada? I know I can make locations to Red Light Cameras.

Yeah, there are a few cities with these stupid devices.

Here is a list of all of them in my city.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/safestreets/locati.stm

I wasn't familar with adding POI's but just hacked a way to make TomTom work with this. I just created a POI category and put all of them in with a warning sound at 250M. Works like a charm.

Excellent!

According to your link provided, those are locations to Red Light Cameras. The title of the map says "Intersection Safety Camera Enforcement Locations". Intersection Cameras are safety Cameras. Speed Cameras are different where they will take your picture if you exceed a certain speed limit in a certain section of a street. I know Europe, maybe Aus. have speed cams.

According to your link provided, those are locations to Red Light Cameras. The title of the map says "Intersection Safety Camera Enforcement Locations". Intersection Cameras are safety Cameras. Speed Cameras are different where they will take your picture if you exceed a certain speed limit in a certain section of a street. I know Europe, maybe Aus. have speed cams.

Over here we call them "cash grab" cameras.

They take your picture if you speed or go through a red light.

The city was lied to in contract by ACS the company that manages the cameras. They make more profit then the city and actually the city has lost money already on the venture. We are too small of a city to have so many cameras. I'm moving in a few months, good ridence.

I'll help

I can make a POI for Red Light Cameras for Canada. It will take me time to compose the data.

I'll send you the POI for Winnipeg that I created. I'm not to sure which cities exactly use them. I know Toronto and Edmonton have them, but I think I read something that Edmonton took them out and needs to be confirmed.

I came across this link while doing a quick search. Very interesting read: http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/related.asp?S=2&T=0&X=1

How do I export the POIs I've entered into TomTom?

Great find!
To export the files, connect your TT to your pc and explorer it. Look for the North America folder and in there should be your POI. Just copy the files and zip them and upload them to here.

Winnipeg Red Light / Speed Camera locations

Great find!
To export the files, connect your TT to your pc and explorer it. Look for the North America folder and in there should be your POI. Just copy the files and zip them and upload them to here.

Ok, I attached it to this message. Is that what you were looking for?

Attachments

• Winnipeg_Fixed_Photo_Radar.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 305
Wow you have plenty of sites in that POI. Did you have any locations missing? I can edit the file and add to whatever sites are missing.

Wow you have plenty of sites in that POI. Did you have any locations missing? I can edit the file and add to whatever sites are missing.

Those are all the sites from that link further up that I posted. It took me about 1/2 hour to enter them all in using TomTom Home. That was everything on that page but I'm sure in the future some of them may get changed or added.

Is there a "how to" anywhere to make a customized warning sound for POI's?

I want to make a vocal warning for these POI's.

Only if you have a 910. I know i've read that you can add a voice file that a POI would recongize. I'll look into it.

Winnipeg/Canada red light cameras

jetblacktib thanks a ton. I was just about to start doing the same thing.
BTW I called TomTom support and according to them it is illegal to have red light camera information loaded into a GPS in the US and Canada which is why they don't offer it . Sounds like a typical BS answer from TomTom.

They guy I had on the phone continued to insist the TomTom 3rd edition came with a CD in the box (it doesn't) which goes to show how much their 'experts' know about their products.

Legality of red light cameras on GPS in Manitoba

I contacted the Winnipeg Police Service who checked with Manitoba Justice and they confirmed that there is no law preventing a user from coding red light cameras into a GPS.

YMMV.
Marc

BS

jetblacktib thanks a ton. I was just about to start doing the same thing.
BTW I called TomTom support and according to them it is illegal to have red light camera information loaded into a GPS in the US and Canada which is why they don't offer it . Sounds like a typical BS answer from TomTom.

They guy I had on the phone continued to insist the TomTom 3rd edition came with a CD in the box (it doesn't) which goes to show how much their 'experts' know about their products.

WHAT!?! What law and subsection says that you can not have GPS Waypoints of red light cameras loaded in your TOMTOM? LOL wow...I can smell it from here.

Custom warning sounds for POI

Those are all the sites from that link further up that I posted. It took me about 1/2 hour to enter them all in using TomTom Home. That was everything on that page but I'm sure in the future some of them may get changed or added.

Is there a "how to" anywhere to make a customized warning sound for POI's?

I want to make a vocal warning for these POI's.

Found this thread by digital-flex on POI Alerts :
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1805

Record your warning and convert the mp3 to ogg.

Personally I like the "boing" sound !

Marc

Ask a Question