Safety Cameras

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335 S, Via 1535TM
??? How on earth do I see where safety cameras are? I used TT Home (add traffic, voices, safety cameras, etc) to add safety cameras, and my folder on the TT internal drive has 3 new files. But there is not "safety camera" poi being listed under poi's. I tried turning off the TT and restarting. ????

Browsing a map of Manhattan - didn't see any safety cameras. Went to TT Home to update my device, no offer to download any more safety camera info. TT Home lists safety cameras as being on my computer.

I went to TomTom Services > Safety Alerts, and made sure everything was enabled and configured - but still no inidcation of safety cameras on map, or on demo of navigating thru manhatten. TT Home update does not offer to update any new camera locations.

If you can enable and configure the safety cameras in Tomtom Services on the device, then they are installed properly.

Safety cameras don't alert you in demo mode. You have to drive to see them.

mlv, they aren't showing up when I drive either. I drove around all day in a taxi, within an 80 square mile area (200 square kilometers, 52,000 acres), in a highly populated suburban area. I saw a few police officers lurking on side roads, behind bushes, but not a single camera popped up on my TT gps.

I live in Portland, Oregon and I haven't seen any safety cams on my XL 340TM LIVE while I'm driving. As far as I can tell my GPS knows about 100% of the red light cams in the Portland metro area.

mlv, they aren't showing up when I drive either. I drove around all day in a taxi, within an 80 square mile area (200 square kilometers, 52,000 acres), in a highly populated suburban area. I saw a few police officers lurking on side roads, behind bushes, but not a single camera popped up on my TT gps.
Only fixed position installations are included in the list. Did you drive through any intersections where you know such red light or speed cameras are installed?

canderson
"Did you drive through any intersections where you know such red light or speed cameras are installed?"

How else would I find out where speed or stop-light cameras, etc, are installed, other than by using a gps that has a database of where they are? Is there another database somewhere, that I can use to find out locations? My google searches aren't turning up anything that appear to be good, comprehensive resources.

canderson
"Did you drive through any intersections where you know such red light or speed cameras are installed?"

How else would I find out where speed or stop-light cameras, etc, are installed, other than by using a gps that has a database of where they are? Is there another database somewhere, that I can use to find out locations? My google searches aren't turning up anything that appear to be good, comprehensive resources.
Perhaps they're camouflaging the ones in your area, but they're pretty obvious out here in Colorado.

Have a look at Speed Trap Sharing System - Trapster and review your area, looking specifically for the red/yellow/green fixed red light cameras on the map. Should give you a starting point for your search.

If you can enable and configure the safety cameras in Tomtom Services on the device, then they are installed properly.

Safety cameras don't alert you in demo mode. You have to drive to see them.

G'Day,

I use demo mode regularly to see whether my camera reports have been included.
Demo ALWAYS alerts me to Safety cameras.
CORRECTION: USUALLY - today Demo mode does not alert?????
i just wish I could view them in Browse Map to see those that have been implemented!
Regards,
Pat Garard

Last edited:
I realize this thread is 4 months old but I wanted to add something to it for those who search for answers first before asking questions.

Like PatManOz says, demo mode usually warns of the camera… but not always.

I have two different demo scenarios (street scenarios are most likely no different but I still need to verify) where the camera alert warning does not work.

The scenario is when making a right hand turn at a camera intersection where the destination point is 100 yds down the street.

At first I thought the demo mode needed to be slowed down because the audible speech was not giving a chance for the camera alert to play before passing through the alert intersection. Demo speed was lowered to 10% and the camera alert still would not invoke.

I also tried shortest or fastest route but that does not matter, results were the same.

Summary: Camera alerts don’t work for me when the destination point is a right hand turn at least 100 yds from the intersection.

=================
Edit: I wonder if the Red Light functionality does not work by design because the driver is not actually passing through the intersection. Running a red light is not the same as making a right hand turn at a red light assuming you stop fully first. At least that is the law in Cali, you have to stop fully first. Not every state is that way, and I believe in Germany it is a no no to turn right on a red.

Last edited:
I think that for the most part they have to be added by users....I think its kinda lame as you would think that it would have some of the major intersections and so on but I dont let it worry me as I usually follow all the V&T Laws anyway.

Ask a Question