Safety Cameras

TomTom Model(s)
One IQ Routes
Hi I'm very new and got my new TomTom One IQ for Christmas, Up till now I've been using a Road Angel, however the maps are not up to date so I'm going up market, However the Road Angel had one function that I want to hang on to, in that it gives me a warning sound as I approach a speed camera and doesn't stop till I'm on it, The Tom Tom sounds twice and thats it, I'm the guy that gets done for two miles over the limit and that has been very usefull in protecting me, However I'm affraid If I don't get enough warning I'll miss the indication. My question can I make the sound longer, or can I create my own sounds that last longer and inport them to my tom tom. Could we get TomTom to use this fascility in a software update? Secondly the manual I just downloaded http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/one40/refman/TomTom-ONEv5-XLv2-en-GB.pdf doesn't seem to match my unit, have I got the right one.

There are some Traffic Camera POI files for the TomTom's. I found them to be helpful on a trip I took to Montreal (from New Brunswick). I'm going to be taking a trip to Boston at the end of February so I'll see if there is any assistance there.

I didn't check the link you provided, but it appears that it's for the wrong unit. The file name refers to XL which is a different unit than you have.

If you want a reliable, accurate, up to date set of speed cameras with specific warnings in the UK, you will NOT find them using TomTom's set of data. May I strongly suggest you go to pocketgpsworld.com and subscribe to their speed camera set. More information can be found here: Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

One of our supermods, Mikealder, is also a moderator at PGPSW and can provide more information but from all I read and all I know, their subscription is the one I would want if I lived in the UK.

My question can I make the sound longer, or can I create my own sounds that last longer and inport them to my tom tom.

You can create your own sounds and presumably make long ones on the Tomtom GO line. I'm not sure if that feature's available on the ONE IQ.

If it is, it would be in services -> safety camera -> change warning preferences

With a third party database installed such as the one dhn has linked to it is possible to have spoken alerts by using OGG Vorbis audio recordings, the ogg file must be named exactly the same as the coresponding ov2 and bmp files. The only slight issue with a very long recording is when the unit has to read out a navigation instruction it will stop the camera warning to read out the nav instructions.

One other idea is to install a double set of data to the device, this way you can have two warnings on approach to a camera set at different distances appart, even have different warnings for each distance if you want, you get loads more options available to you for configuring Speed Camera alerts when using third party databases rather than the lame offering TomTom supply - Mike

Ask a Question