Rider problems

Hi

I have 2 questions.
(1) My Rider 1 is forever loosing power when mounted to the bike, and one of the outer contacts ha had a small hole drilled into it, by the metal pin it sits against, I think. Can I have the hole filled with solder, and then how can I make the mount more secure so that the pins do not keep breaking contact with the unit , every time it hits a dip/hole / uneven piece of road? :thumb:
(2) My Rider 2 will not acept a complet UK postcode, so if the destination doe snot have a house number it's impossibnle to locate. Can I make a software upgrade through this site or similar to obtain a complete postcode list for UK, if not west europe?:D
To anyone who takes the time to reply, my gratitude , in advance. :blabla:

Hi

I have 2 questions.
(1) My Rider 1 is forever loosing power when mounted to the bike, and one of the outer contacts ha had a small hole drilled into it, by the metal pin it sits against, I think. Can I have the hole filled with solder, and then how can I make the mount more secure so that the pins do not keep breaking contact with the unit , every time it hits a dip/hole / uneven piece of road? :thumb:

The Rider1 was notorious for the mount to break and not charge. I had 2 replaced by TomTom in the first year before they just told me to mail the unit to them so they could send me a Rider2.

There was an aluminum mount made that held it more securely in the dock, but I don't know if they're still being made and or how much they are.
(2) My Rider 2 will not acept a complet UK postcode, so if the destination doe snot have a house number it's impossibnle to locate. Can I make a software upgrade through this site or similar to obtain a complete postcode list for UK, if not west europe?:D

Not sure I can help much with post codes (especially in the UK). I normally just use the city name / address when routing and if that fails I use the navigate to the center of town.

(1) ..... one of the outer contacts ha had a small hole drilled into it, by the metal pin it sits against, I think.

As Thom says, the original Riders were very prone to this, and TomtTom did have a free replacement program. It was a long time ago now, but it's certainly worth ringing customer services and kicking up a fuss (politely!) to see if you can get it replaced.

Can I have the hole filled with solder,

Solder wouldn't make a very good contact for long as it oxidises so quickly and is also very soft.

I haven't actually seen the mount, but if there is room to solder on a very thin piece of copper sheet, that would last better.

(2) My Rider 2 will not acept a complet UK postcode, so if the destination doe snot have a house number it's impossibnle to locate. Can I make a software upgrade through this site or similar to obtain a complete postcode list for UK,

That's an easy one :D

You can download the latest postcode files from TomTom.
Rather than repeat it all here, can I give you a link to a "How to..." on downloading and installing them that I wrote on another forum?

You should be able to access it here:
How To Install The Latest Postcode Files

If you can't access it or have any other problems just ask again here.

if not west europe?:D

In Europe, only the UK and the Netherlands use "full" postcodes that describe a small enough area so you only need that and a house number. The download contains files for those two countries, and also ones for Singapore!

Ask a Question