Rider One Power problems

My Rider One, has developed a continual problem with maintaining it's power supply when on the bike mount. If I turn the unit over and look at the back where the contact points are, the contact on the right has a pin hole hammered into it. The only way I can maintain a power supply is to cable tie the unit to the cradle. Does anyone have any ideas please?

I once a the same problem on a different device (not my Rider). I used a soldering iron (the pencil type) and very thin "radio" type solder to repair. Just an ultra thin layer of solder on the contact area fixed the problem and lasted for a couple of years. Clean the contact area real well and just a dab of paste to ensure good contact prior to soldering.

Cheers

This "contact drilling" problem was very common on the Rider models.

Some temporary suggestions here, but basically it was a design fault. I can't remember if TomTom were ever replacing the mounts for free.

. I can't remember if TomTom were ever replacing the mounts for free.

For the Rider1 they did replace some mounts. When the replacements failed, they started replacing them units all together with the (then) new Rider2.
I think the best improvement for the Rider2 (outside of new maps/warranty) was the headset, the mount was a bit better, but I still had one fail.
My current mount better last me as they don't seem to have a large supply of mounts available the last time I checked. I broke it a few months back, but had a non-functioning spare that I was able to cannibalize to get the part I needed. I'm sure glad my wife doesn't throw out my $hit without asking...:lol:

Ask a Question