Rider 1 charging issue

Wow...the dreaded rider 1 issue of no longer charging because of countless hours rattling in the docking station, the pins have worn holes in the contacts and no longer make contact.

So the first time I cpomplained to TomTom they sent me a new holder. on the bottom of the old one I see "model: TomTom Rider holder"

On the new one I see "Model: TomTom Rider Holder II"

The only difference I see is the frist one is made in Taiwan and the II is made in China. The pins are the same lengthm the rubber is the same the holes...exactly the same.

Pop the new holder on the bike and what do you know, it charges. Then I hit about 65 mph and the wind forces the tomtom back just enough to get teh "shutting down tomtom" screen as I have the battery saver option on.

So I write to tomtom with this:

Customer (DUSTIN XXXXXXXXX) 06/01/2008 01:44 PM
I still have a problem with my charging station. I reported this problem last year, and I received a new docking station. This only solved the problem for about 100 miles. Once the new docking station vibrated a bit, the charging connection was again lost. I believe the problem lies with the unit itself. The 4 contacts on the back of the unit are worn so bad that the pins no longer make contact. There are tiny little holes there caused by the vibrating. And by the location of the 4 holes, you can tell that the pins never aligned correctly with the contacts. This has really been an inconvenience having to charge and re-charge on the road. My battery shuts down at the worst times and holding the device against the pins while driving is a dangerous situation. Please let me know what we can do to resolve this.

They respond with this crap:

Dear Mr Dustin,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is 080601-001774

As you have had previous repairs and replacements on your docking shoe, to pipopint the exact fault either with the device or the charging equipment please follow the below steps and report back with the results,

To reset your Rider v1 or v2 unit do the following:

? Connect unit to the battery cable or mains adapter.
? Leave your TomTom on charge for 8 hours
? Turn unit upside down (make sure unit is NOT in the docking shoe)
? Unlock and open the latch.
? Locate the reset button hole, see http://www.tomtom.com/6965
? Using a paper clip or safety pin press inside quite firmly
? Hold for 20 seconds
? Release and turn Right Side Up
? Press the power button for 10 seconds. Make sure that you press firmly.

If your device is not switching on after this, try taking the SD card out if your device has an SD card and repeat the above steps.

If your unit does not come on then you have a hardware fault and it will need to be repaired and we will require the Serial No. (located underneath by the barcode).

Should you need to contact TomTom Customer Support, please call us and quote the following reference:- 080601-001774
Please also state :-

- If the unit smells burnt?

If the device does switch on, please state how long the battery lasted for when you switched the device on and left it running on its own power.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Are they friggin idiots or what?? If I didn't love the tomtom so much I'd kick it in the ditch and get the Garmin. If I didn't think there was hope for getting this replaced with a V2 I'd have bought that long ago.

I have the Wunderlich mount on the way, will try that and if that don't do it, I will be fixing this one way or another.

Attachments

• tomtom.JPG
    tomtom.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,800
Sorry to hear about the problem with the Rider, I have the TTOne XL and use the Ram Mounting system (no docking) just use an Auxilary Plug, I also use a windshield and have had no problems, I thought the Rider was designed to be used on a motorcycle..:confused:

How long have you had your Rider v1? TomTom actually replaced mine with a V2, after the second mount failed.

Call Support, don't write to them... They have replaced the unit for a few people on the board.

That is a great idea. I wrote back and it just gets worse...

Customer (DUSTIN THORSNESS) 06/04/2008 01:32 PM
Wow...I have to ask. Does a human read these questions or does a computer? Your suggestion has NOTHING to do with the problem I have complained about. The unit charges, the unit turns on, the unit stays on for a good 5-6 hours on battery power. It does not need to be re-set and it does not smell burnt.

The problem is it will not charge on the handlebar docking station because the 4 gold pins no longer touch the unit. They have rubbed holes in the unit and no longer make contact. Replacing the docking station will no longer solve the problem as it is the Navigation unit that has been damaged. Please refer to the attachment. It shows very clearly the problem.

Their response:

Dear Mr THORSNESS,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is 080601-001774

I can assure you that a human does read the questions as I have done, the reason you are asked to carry out the steps mentioned is to determine the exact fault and possibly determine any other fault to do with the battery life of the unit .
I can see alot more clearly from the attachment the nature of the fault and arrange a repair for the unit and docking station

To be able to create an RMA enabling you to send your unit in for repair, it is imperative that we receive the Serial Number for your device. Please update this incident from My Questions History in your TomTom account with this information. You will find the serial number on the lower part of the device, by the bar code, when you turn it upside down

Now let me ask you all, the attachment in my first post is the same one I sent them. Can you not CLEARLY see the serial number in that picture????

I have actually had really good luck SPEAKING with TT support reps.

But the automatated responses online are incredible (and I mean that in a negative way).

If you use the Online Help by typing in your problem or question, you have to wonder to what extent you must use your imagination to have come up with the insane responses. They almost 99% of the time give responses that have absolutatly no bearing at all....egads

I never use the search for online help anymore, I just phone. I have been quite satisfied with the responses from actual human beings.

Cheers!

Well...based on a recomendation of another forum member, I decided to try the Wunderlich mount. Problem solved. The tomtom is held in there so tight it cannot mive and destroy the contacts. I only wish I had used it from day 1. I rode 400 miles this weekend and the tomtom did not loose contact once, not even at 120 mph or at the 1/4 mile strip.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=42985&postcount=9

Strange...the link is dead now but worked for me last week...

Last edited:
I called TomTom USA and as soon as they heard me complaining about the unit not charging anymore they transferred me to RMA department, issued a RMA ticket and told me that they would send me a TT2 as replacement.
Thas was yesterday. As per today, I'm still waiting for a confirmation e-mail with instructions.

Keep you buddies posted.

Ciao

I called TomTom USA and as soon as they heard me complaining about the unit not charging anymore they transferred me to RMA department, issued a RMA ticket and told me that they would send me a TT2 as replacement.
Thas was yesterday. As per today, I'm still waiting for a confirmation e-mail with instructions.

Keep you buddies posted.

Ciao

It took some time, but it'll happen.

Do yourself a favor, only send back what they ask for back. I actually sent a car mount that they had and it took me about 2 months to get that corrected. Your RMA will most likely consist of a request for the original SD card and the actual unit and dock only (the dock won't even be specified.)

After that it'll probably be a few weeks to get the new Rider, but you'll not be disappointed. Heck, it was worth it just to get the Scala Rider headset in my case. Won't be bad that you'll probably end up with the newest map too...

As you are all probably aware the docking shoe on the rider 1 is a bad design. Not only do the pogo pins wear through the pads but the actual design of the cradle is floored. when you pull the clip over to secure it, it pushes the unit away. I complained when I first got mine but also modified it to pull the rider unit back better onto the cradle. Of course the cradle then, some months later, broke in 2 (again bad design) and allowed the rider to break free.

Tomtom then replaced it after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing with a rider 2 which I have to say is great. And the cradle has been redesigned. I have since modified the rider 2 cradle with a jack out for voice and music which I wire into my intercom.

It took some time, but it'll happen.

Do yourself a favor, only send back what they ask for back. I actually sent a car mount that they had and it took me about 2 months to get that corrected. Your RMA will most likely consist of a request for the original SD card and the actual unit and dock only (the dock won't even be specified.)

After that it'll probably be a few weeks to get the new Rider, but you'll not be disappointed. Heck, it was worth it just to get the Scala Rider headset in my case. Won't be bad that you'll probably end up with the newest map too...

Still no e-mail. As soon as I have time, I'll call them back and make sure that they have the right address. How long, more or less, between you sending your unit and receiving the replacement?
Thanks.

Still no e-mail. As soon as I have time, I'll call them back and make sure that they have the right address. How long, more or less, between you sending your unit and receiving the replacement?
Thanks.

I think it was about 3 weeks. I believe that things move slower in the South... Is Texas considered "in the south"? (that's where it was shipped from)

Any chance that you could post the phone number that you called? Thanks!

Here is the number from their support page.

Phone Numbers Hours of Operation
1-866-486-6866 Monday - Friday: 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST
Saturday: 9:00AM to 6:00PM EST

Thanks.

Update: I had to call them again, but they sent me the info, I shipped the unit and they got it today.
Let's start the countdown!

Rider Battery Cable - will it work with TT One XL?

Sorry to hear about the problem with the Rider, I have the TTOne XL and use the Ram Mounting system (no docking) just use an Auxilary Plug, I also use a windshield and have had no problems, I thought the Rider was designed to be used on a motorcycle..:confused:

I have a TTOneXL and just bought a motorcycle. I bought a RAM weatherproof mount for it (ie. a mount + the aquabox thingy) and am now researching how to power it.

If I buy the Rider battery cable - the one that hardwires to the bike - will that work with my One XL? Is the connector the same?

I've been trying to locate a good picture of the battery cable but can't find one & so can't tell if it's a USB connector or not.

Thanks!

I have a TTOneXL and just bought a motorcycle. I bought a RAM weatherproof mount for it (ie. a mount + the aquabox thingy) and am now researching how to power it.

If I buy the Rider battery cable - the one that hardwires to the bike - will that work with my One XL? Is the connector the same?

I've been trying to locate a good picture of the battery cable but can't find one & so can't tell if it's a USB connector or not.

Thanks!

The Rider has a completely different charging adapter. I think you'd need to find something different.

Here is a link to the hardwire cable for the Rider.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=182&Product=354&Category=1

It looks like this.

rider_add-batterycable_big.jpg

It also will charge (off the bike cradle with a car adapter) with one of these.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=254&Product=354&Category=1

cla_medium.jpg

The Rider has a completely different charging adapter. I think you'd need to find something different.

Here is a link to the hardwire cable for the Rider.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=182&Product=354&Category=1

It looks like this.

<picture snipped>

It also will charge (off the bike cradle with a car adapter) with one of these.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=254&Product=354&Category=1

<picture snipped>

Thanks, Thom -- those are the only pictures I was able to find, too. They don't really give a clear idea of what the tip looks like, but you're saying it's definitely not a USB connector, right?

I found a pic on another thread of a guy (el dorado) who put in a "cigarette lighter" socket on his motorcycle & charges his ONE XL that way. I might try something similar.

Thanks!
-Michele

ps. I think I need one of these:

517d4Myn11L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
Def not a USB connection. I can take a pic of you like, I've got one sitting next to me. A friend is going to borrow my Rider for a trip to Sturgis Bike Week and I just added a BMW accessory adapter to it this morning.

I've done the cig lighter plug route too. Right now I've got an add-a-fuse adapter and have the harness wired directly to that in a non-switched fuse.

Not sure if it would work with a USB type charger, but it should and it is much easier than messing with the cig adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200BP-Fuse-Add-Circuit/dp/B0002BGELQ

21wAMu2jHsL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

They also have one for the small blade style fuses.

http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2/ref=pd_sim_dbs_auto_1

21dI7OHEoHL._SL500_AA192_.jpg

Ask a Question