Rider 1 charging issue

UPDATE:
today I received 3 emails from TomTom asking me to send the unit, unit that has been in their possession since the 24th.
Now... if I am not lucky, they lost it, if I'm lucky, I will receive three units back! :)
I settle for just one.

I asked for too little, I got too little!
They sent me just the unit, no card, no wires, no nothing!.
I had to call the and ask for all the accessories they forgot and on top of that I learned that the car mount isn't included anywhere, hence I have to dish out $90 for it.

Win some, lose some.

I asked for too little, I got too little!
They sent me just the unit, no card, no wires, no nothing!.
I had to call the and ask for all the accessories they forgot and on top of that I learned that the car mount isn't included anywhere, hence I have to dish out $90 for it.

Win some, lose some.

Yea, don't send anything back unless the RMA says to. I did the same and had to fight for all the stuff that I returned to them.

If the RMA say unit and SD card. Only send the unit and SD card no matter what teh person on the other end says.

I thought I mentioned that at one point, but... :confused:

Yeah, don't send anything back unless the RMA says to. I did the same and had to fight for all the stuff that I returned to them.

If the RMA say unit and SD card. Only send the unit and SD card no matter what teh person on the other end says.

I thought I mentioned that at one point, but... :confused:

You did and I followed it, but THEY forgot to send me those items back.
The only mistake was maybe the SD card, but they will send one to me, and BTW I have a backup (italian, yes, not stoooopid!) :)
I sent pretty much everything, as per their list, got back just the unit.
Oh, well, the rest is on its way now.
As well as the car mount I had to buy. Thanks, Ebay!

I had the disconnect problem early on (2-3 months), and got a replacement mount sent out. Months later, the mount split in two and I epoxied it together so I could complete my trip. When it happened again, I then opened the Mount for the Bike and ground away some of the plastic inside to push the contacts out further. It has been working for over a year, but now about 4 months ago, the mount broke. I again epoxied it together and am now having the charging problem again.

Do you think they will deny a replacement because of modifications to the mount? Did I notice that you had also made modifications?

Thanks for your input! :D

Update: I just got off the phone with TomTom. They wanted to replace the mount only. But then when they realized I bought it in Oct. 2005, they told me I was out of warranty. So those of us who paid nearly $1000 at the first release get shafted... This after getting a replacement mount about 3 months after buying it due to the same problem, and then when I wanted to buy a replacement, they tell me they are no longer available. :eek:

I'm very happy for those of you who got a replacement, but this BITES for us early adopters... :mad:

Last edited:
Maybe slightly off topic, but I had to return my TTR2 shortly after purchase due to a problem. I was told to send the unit and my SD card.

I recieved a new R2, but NO SD card. Called them, they said oops, and promptly sent me a SD card for a Rider(1)....geez

Called them again, oops so sorry, they sent another WRONG one.....

Eventually I did recieve the correct one and used the "wrong" ones for my digital camera.

I have no idea why they even wanted my SC card, as the problem with my R2 was that it wouldnt function in cold weather, the screen would randomly go to various selections.

If I was to have to return a device ever again, I would send ONLY the device.

Cheers

Hi. Hate to drag up an old thread. But after 6 years I have 'solved' this issue over and over. Got a used TTR from ebay and replaced the case. Problem came back. Then I tossed the rider mount, rigged a car mount to my RAM and installed the cig lighter charger. But that left the little door open and moisture could get in. Eventually the charging jack vibrated loose from the board. I cut the charge wire, drilled a hole in the case, ran the wire in and soldered it straight to the board. Hot glued it in place so it can't vibrate and sealed the case with hot glue. Problem solved!

Sometimes, brute force IS the answer! Good job - glad you persisted.

Ask a Question