RGENT HELP: Decision Required

Unfortunately I have to take a cross country trip pretty quickly and so due to this am trying to find a decent GPS. I narrowed it down to Nuvi 750, 760 or the TomTom 720 & 920's and wanted some feedback. I have read a large number of reviews and it seems that most people are stating that map accuracy and accuracy of the route is better on the Garmins but feature wise (including voice input) leans in the favor of the TomTom.

I was hoping to find something with traffic although it seems from the answers on this and other boards that most people don't trust the quality of the traffic reporting yet on any device and would probably not refill after their trial period.

Thanks all, your input is greatly appreciated

WC

(grumble: at the moment I'm not that happy with TT's customer service)

If your cross-country route is sticking with major roadways, I'd think most gps will create similar routing and get you to your destination. I believe that garmin's have more extensive poi files but for major services, you probably will be fine.

Just used the 920 for a Canada trip and it computed perfect routes and alternatives. It allowed us to check intermediate routing by its "Route A-to-B" facility so we could do scenarios. And it led us to a Starbucks, McDonalds (one needed a breakfast sandwich!!!!) and to a Napa auto parts store. It had no POI for Lake Louise while we sat in a restaurant there.

I think text-to-speech is terrific but VOICE ENTRY/INPUT is over-rated. You still have to concentrate on the device and its prompts and entering by finger tap works really well. Magellan's on the other hand could find POI while driving by asking "RESTAURANTS" or SERVICES, etc which is more useful.

If your travel includes going through central KY, don't get the Tom Tom 920. It will be off significantly in approximately 2 out of 3 locates. Last week it was 4 miles off in finding a house number on an established road. Sometimes it will tell you to turn Left when it meant to say Right and it will tell you to turn on roads that don't exist. It will not be able to help you in neighborhoods that are less than 5 years old in many cases. If you call customer support about all of this they will tell you they never heard of the problem before and not have any suggestions on how it can be fixed.

Sounds like a map issue or tech issue with the 920 to me. I have a 910 and live in KY and have driven all over the state and have had no problems.

I'm not into the real high tec GPS Units so I just use the TTOneXL and so far it is doing a great job, haven't taken any long trips, even if I was going on one and using the TT I would still take along paper maps to make sure and be more inclined to use the GPS when in towns/cities to find my way around or just what I was looking for with the POI's.

"Sounds like a map issue or tech issue with the 920 to me. I have a 910 and live in KY and have driven all over the state and have had no problems."

I used to have a 910 also - it was nearly perfect. I wish I could get it back.

For some reason, the map for my area has gotten all screwed up in this map version. I honestly think one of their competitors hacked into the computer and did something because the mistakes are so bad and also completely random. Every once in a while (about 1 out of 3 times) it finds an address perfectly just like the 910 used to.

TT customer service has no suggestions and won't admit that anyone else but me has reported this problem. One of their Customer Service people (Heidi) actually did tell me that there was a reported problem, but the next time I called they told me she must have been lying to me. Since they won't admit there is a problem, I have to assume they aren't trying to fix it.

Ask a Question