Retrieving Update Information

smf

I've just purchased a GO 720 and have loaded HOME from the CD. I have HOME open and my GO 720 hooked up to my computer. There is a box open telling me "retrieving update information... please wait..."

It has been this way for at least 30 minutes. Can it actually take that long? What is involved in an update?

Thanks.

smf

I've just purchased a GO 720 and have loaded HOME from the CD. I have HOME open and my GO 720 hooked up to my computer. There is a box open telling me "retrieving update information... please wait..."

It has been this way for at least 30 minutes. Can it actually take that long? What is involved in an update?

Thanks.

smf

No it shouldn't BUT before you update ANYTHING, make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer. Make sure hidden files are shown and also extension for known file types.

I'm not sure if what you're seeing is an attempt to update the Home software or an update for your device. Occasionally when I have Home looking for an update for my device it appears that it has stalled, often if I hit the "abort" button at the bottom of the Home screen the available updates will then pop in. It seems like an occasional glitch between the Home software and TT's servers.
John

No it shouldn't BUT before you update ANYTHING, make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer. Make sure hidden files are shown and also extension for known file types.

I am helping my father in law with their tomtom one xl and their unit is doing exactly the same as described above. As soon as I plug USB into PC TT home just hangs with the message "Retrieving Update Information". There is no way to cancel this and waiting does nothing. I have to force end program. This happens every time TT home is running at the same time as the tomtom is plugged in to usb... When the unit is switched on by itself it displays the message "no maps found" and when tt home is running it just wants the tomtom to be connected by usb so I am stuck in a loop. It behaves exactly the same way when I try to connect it using my PC/broadband connection (we are on different isp's and use different model routers). He never backed anything up before attempting his first map download and this is where the problem started. Any advice?

The exact same behavior happens with my TTHome program. What I do is click the 'minimize' button at the top of the page and immediately 'maximize' the page and voila everything is there...sometimes I do it too quickly and have to do it twice....interesting.

Ask a Question