Repair / investigation question

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One & XL
Hi all, Newbie, first question.

I have a TomTom One, works (did) fine, I now have a problem with it, it will not charge correctly with the lead (which has been changed) The connection is intermittent, and I suspect is due to the fit of the plug into the socket in the unit.

I'd like to know the following.... can anyone tell me what type of (and size) Torx? screwdriver will fit the screws on the back of the unit?

I did ask TT, but got the usual lawyerspeak.
"OHGODYOUCAN'TDOTHATYOU'LLSEVERALEGANDSUEUSBANKRUPT"

I KNOW it's out of warranty I am happy to tinker, I understand electronic circuits, and I know if I break it I will buy another, BUT if I can fix it I don't see why I should be a larger part of the throwaway society.

So any kind help thoughts will be appreciated. McP

I think different models use different sized screwdrivers but if supermod Mikealder doesn't respond to this post within 24 hours, pm him; he'll more than likely have the correct answer since he takes these units apart in his sleep, it seems! :D

T6 or T7 springs to mind (I will double check when I get home though), Maplins do a great screwdriver kit for under ?15 that contains enough bits to open anything TomTom have ever produced, cheaper kits are available but not as comprehensive such as This One - Mike

Thanks

Thanks dhn, and Mike,

Maplin passed me by, which is annoying as I was in there Saturday, ah well.....

Hi DHN in Toronto, small world, I deal with a supplier in Vaughn on a regular basis.
Thanks again. McP

Cannot open the case of a Tom Tom One

Hi all, Update time......

I rushed out and bought a nice torx tool with sizes from T4 - T15, lovely.......

Shame it only fits three of the screws, and then only just.

On a closer examination I can see that they are actually a strange type of Allen key, when I say strange - they look like an allen screw, but in the hex hole there is a fine .5mm post that appears to stop an ordinary allen key going in (that is unless you drill a .5mm hole in the end)

I can post a pic if anyone is interested

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try now (aside from a cold chisel?

McP

Cute. Didn't realize that TomTom was changing to a "security screw" to avoid tampering. Bad enough the battery isn't easily accessed by the end user, but THIS?

They make hex bit sets that include this particular one - there's a hole in the center of what appears similar to a Torx -- but then, you've probably already figured that out. I have a full set of such things here, but I'm a very long way from you here in Colorado, USA.

Maplin has what you need - you just didn't know you needed it. Take your TomTom down and ask for what you see on this web page:

33-Piece Security Bit Set : Bit Sets : Maplin

Last edited:
Thank you

Two things.....

1. Thanks for the info
2. Wow Do you have a Maplins in Colorado?

I just assumed it was a torx (re previous post) I now seem to be accumulating a HUGE selection of one off tools.

All part of the globals consumerism plan to stop people like me tinkering and trying to repair styuff instead of landfill/buy another

Thansk McP

Ask a Question