Renewing Live Services

TomTom Model(s)
2535 Live; 340 Live
Hi all,

I have a 2535 Live that has 14 days left on the Live Services. If have tried to renew via MyTomTom with the unit connected to the computer, but I can't find an option to do so. I clicked on what I think was every link possible but still couldn't find a way to renew. Any ideas?

Rob

This is funny..or sad...most definitely frustrating, but I thought I would post my experience for others. I am also wondering if others have had the same experience.

So I called support wanting to renew my live services before they expire in six days. They told me that I can no longer renew before they expire. Instead, they told me I have to wait until they expire, and then I can go onto the device, go into live services and update from there. Can't do it from mytomtom before or after they expire, nor on the phone before they expire.

Of course it's frustrating not to be able to renew before they expire. Especially considering my wife is using it this week, and the service will expire on her way back. I'm not sure she will be covered for the final day of her trip, and I was hoping to renew before she took it, so she wouldn't have to mess with it.

What's funny is that I received a message on the 2535 live itself telling me that I needed to hook my device up to mytomtom to renew my services. I really like my 2535 live, but it seems that cross-department communication is horrible at tomtom.

Call CS again, speak to a 2nd level support person, explain the situation about the need for LIVE all this week and ask that an emergency week be added to the device.

I am in the thick of a similar issue: my Live subscription expired on 4/12. I sent my 2535 in under warranty (this is the second replacement device) on 4/2. I recieved my replacement GPS yesterday, but now the Live service isn't active and I do not have a way to sign up again. Already escalated to a Super, but she's talking to other folks at TomTom; they could only extend me 10 days even though I've been without a GPS for close to 5 weeks over the two incidents, and 10 days still left me expired. Does that seem fair? The sad thing is that users must jump through hoops to get basic service. The Support people are great, but they can only do so much. The product is great, and so is the HD Live service..when it works...but it shouldn't take so many calls and begging to get the product to work. The bar on consumer electronics is set pretty high by Apple and companies like Sonos. That's what I expect from TomTom.

I have been having the same problem with my 2535 Live. I had this escalated to second level support. They keep on saying that they are working on the problem.

Yeah, they just told me "It's a web site problem" and it will take about 3 days to fix. I think there's more 'broken' than just their web site...:)

I just had another conversation with support as my services officially expired yesterday, and I found no way to renew either on the unit (like they told me) or through the website or mytomtom.

They told me that I now have to purchase a renewal through Amazon, but he told me to wait...why - this is almost unbelievable - because Amazon is now offering only six months of services for the $59.95 price. He told me if I wait until later this week, Amazon should have that changed to a year for the same price.

What the heck is going on at TT. Couldn't TT just allow customers to purchase through Amazon now and just upgrade those to a year. And how did renewals get posted to Amazon at only six months? What is the benefit of them going with Amazon? Couldn't they just have an automated process in house?

I was told that once I purchase a renewal from Amazon, it will take one to two hours to show on my account and on the unit. I won't be holding my breath!

I should mention that I asked for a week extention and they were happy to give it to me.

@rrpnd
This is the first I'd heard that renewals are being managed through Amazon, much less MUST be managed through Amazon. Granted, I haven't done a production Live renewal since last November, but at that time, it was all still being managed through TomTom's server.

Was there any particular reason for Amazon being in this picture that you know? Did they happen to say anything about that?

It may be the latest thing, but it's certainly a surprise to me that they didn't handle the U.S. renewal directly on their TT site.

Is anyone else here aware of what's actually going on here?

Be careful about the Amazon renewal! I was told the same thing by TT Support, but when I checked, the 6-month update for 59.95 is "Compatible with TomTom GO 740 LIVE and XL 340S LIVE" the 2535 is not shown. Of course it MIGHT work, but I'd rather not waste my money and (as @rrpnd points out) pay twice the price to find out.

@canderson. Sorry, I don't have any other details. When they told me that I must renew through Amazon, I did then inquire wether or not I would get an activation code or just how it would be noted on my account. That's when he told me it would show an hour or two afterwards.

@dhn. Sorry if I'm slow, but what is the "other" site? I woluld be interested in your knowledge of this situation.

Ask a Question