RED X Don't update maps!

I tried to update my maps last night, I paid then it wouldn't install. I finally got it in my que after an hour on the phone, then when I tried to install it I got an error. After that I got the red x and after 4 calls and hours of frustration they told me to send it in. In the mean time I'd like to fix this myself. I've tried a bunch of remedies that I found online but nothing has worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully you have made a backup of your unit's contents prior to the download (Explorer). If so, you can try this.........

Format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Restore the application from the backup.

Connect to Home and see if that works (should get a 'no maps found'). Then you can re-install the updated map via Add maps............

nope, I thought i had. I just got about a month ago. I got destracted by the fact that it wouldnt load my new map.

Okay, if you downloaded the new map, it'll be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Use Explorer to confirm it is there.

If so, format the unit as I said and connect to Home. you should be offered an application. Install it. Disconnect from Home properly (use the Device Disconnect icon).

Restart the unit. It should boot. Connect to Home. Use Add maps to install the downloaded map.

So after hours of working on this with 2 different macs(macbook and imac), and 4 calls to customer service, on which one of the guys told me you can't use home on any laptops and I should go to a coffee shop and do it there, I set up a return with tomtom. Because I'm not good with defeat, I borrowed an old Dell from a friend. I downloaded home and plugged in my tomtom. I formated from the my computer menu, then did an update from home. 45 min later perfectly working tomtom! Tell me why they don't tell you as soon as you open home on a mac to disable spotlight. Apparently that is what causes all of this trouble with macs. Not only that but it wasn't in till the fourth call that anyone even mentioned it. They also told me that they have been having lots of trouble with the new maps and the yearly update program. In closing if your getting the red x and using a mac find an old pc and try to reload it.

Ask a Question