RDS-TMC Help !

Just picked up a RDS-TMC...

For twenty minutes it justs spins looking for a signal.. nothing

I called tech support and they say I've got the European version. and to return it and get the american version which starts with a 4v

Part number is 5V00.081
Art # 9v00.80

Does this sound legit?
BTW ..I'm in the Boston, MA area and coverage map says I'm good to go..

Any Ideas?
thanks
Gunthermoose

If support is correct that you have the European version, yes it sounds legit - return it if at all possible.

The service in Europe is a public service available to anyone at no cost with a standard receiver set-up, but over here it is provided by radio stations with specific arrangements with companies like TomTom, so your unit will not work here.

You could use the bluetooth cell phone service right now in your area with your maps, but a European receiver is not set up to receive the proprietary TomTom/Clear Channel signals so it will not work.

support ? do they know what they are talinking about?

I guess my question is does support know what they are talking about?

No offense to anyone who works for support but....

they say I've got the European version. and to return it and get the american version which starts with a 4v

Part number is 5V00.081
Art # 9v00.80

I think support knows what they're talking about (or at least they know more than me ;)

I have a Go 920T which came with a traffic receiver. The part number on the receiver is 4V00.083

How did you get a Euro version? Did it come from a grey market supplier?

Got it from a company in NJ.... Don't know why they would be selling a european version....

Will be sending it back and hopefully getting the us version soon..

Will try tech support again this am and see if I get the same answer though...

New Call ..New results

Another call (for over an hour) and now they tell me I've got the right device..

Will be heading to Boston this weekend ..maybe this will fix the problem as I'm kinda in the boonies here..

If not it goes back on monday...

If anyone has it working..any tips etc?

The green dot just keeps spinning looking for a signal...

Thanks
Gunthermoose

Another call (for over an hour) and now they tell me I've got the right device..

Will be heading to Boston this weekend ..maybe this will fix the problem as I'm kinda in the boonies here..

If not it goes back on monday...

If anyone has it working..any tips etc?

The green dot just keeps spinning looking for a signal...

Thanks
Gunthermoose

Sorry I did not see this earlier. Antenna placement is everything, I could not get it to work at times with different placements. I also initially had to make sure I disabled the bluetooth traffic service first before I plugged in the antenna, but with v 7.162 update, that does not seem to be a problem.

If it does not work in a strong area after trying different placements (I have had the best luck with the vertical placement on drivers-side as instructed on the box), you had better look further at the possibility of being a non-US version.

There is a lot of gray market stuff floating around the internet, and if their price was way below others - there could be a reason - especially as all the original European units were recalled for exchange - they sucked.

Ask a Question