Quick buying advice pls

I'm not a regular driver - I hire cars in the UK once or twice a month. I'm happy with something basic.

My TomTom One has been fine, but just died on me.

I would get another, but I want one that has enough memory to cope with a USA map for an upcoming driving holiday

I'm completely bewildered about the choice of models, so a simple reco would be great. Thanks!

Ken

The problem is that any basic models sold in the UK these days don't have enough internal storage to handle the supplied UK (or whatever) map AND a map of the USA as well.

I'd look for a refurb 920/930 with maps of both Western Europe and North_America or a 720 or 730 with the Western_Eurpe map and then buy a 4-gig sdhc card and purchase the North America (or USA) map and put it on the card.

That's really helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

Can I ask what you think of this option?

I can see on Amazon the "TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe" model. This has 2GB memory (or the TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe)

Could I buy one of these devices, then (temporarily) wipe out some/all the Europe maps and replace with the USA map for the duration of the holiday?

Yes, you can move the installed map folder to the computer and then purchase/install the appropriate USA map.

When you return to Europe, just reverse the process.

Ask a Question