Questions for XL-S owners

1. Besides reading the names of the roads, does your XL-S also have the ability to give verbal warnings such as "school zone", like the 720?

2. TTS files are pretty big - 400+ MB for North_America, if I recall correctly; knowing that an XL only comes with 1 GB of memory, what did they sacrifice to make TTS fit in 1 GB? If your TTS files are taking less than 400 MB, does this mean some street names are never spoken? I could hardly imagine that they would sacrifice hundreds of megabytes of map info...

I'm not sure. I got mine for Christmas and it has asked if I wanted to have warnings annunciated- but I've yet to actually hear it warn me about zones or anything else. I've not even gotten a warning for driving over the speed limit. I did, however, opt to add a 2gb sd to mine so I'm enjoying the extra room!

I'm not sure. I got mine for Christmas and it has asked if I wanted to have warnings annunciated- but I've yet to actually hear it warn me about zones or anything else. I've not even gotten a warning for driving over the speed limit. I did, however, opt to add a 2gb sd to mine so I'm enjoying the extra room!

Do you have one of the Computer Voices selected?

Yes, sir, I do. I have also double checked that I have the warnings on and selected.

Hey guys, thanks for hijacking the thread! :)

No, really - could anyone provide an answer to my initial question (esp. point b))?

How is it hijacking the thread? Your VERY first question asked about the ability of the device to give audio prompts? Someone else was having problems with the audio aspect. Subsequent messages followed on the same issue.....which YOU started.

Anyway, yeah, the 720 uses a NA Map which is greater than 1 gig in size. Your model, as I understand it, uses a USA & Canada map which is less than 1 gig in size and does not have the tts files or the ability to do so. The NA map is more detailed and its poi.dat file is larger.

Satisfied now? :rolleyes:

greal- I had a conversation with customer service today (sorry about the thread hijack, btw) but this may answer question 1:

According to customer service they don't know every single school zone, speed limit, etc- they weren't particularly clear on how they get the information. As for verbal warnings: no, only audio sounds as provided. And if you're getting audio alerts for school zones, you're one up on me.

Anyway, yeah, the 720 uses a NA Map which is greater than 1 gig in size. Your model, as I understand it, uses a USA & Canada map which is less than 1 gig in size and does not have the tts files or the ability to do so. The NA map is more detailed and its poi.dat file is larger.

Satisfied now? :rolleyes:
Nope, sorry. The XL-S DOES have TTS capabilities (hence the "S" in its name); I don't have an XL-S (just an XL and - tadaaa... just bought me a 720 this morning... yay!...) and I was wondering what did they do (read: "eliminate") to be able to fit the voice files in. But, hey! it was me being curious, nothing more.

greal- I had a conversation with customer service today (sorry about the thread hijack, btw) but this may answer question 1:

According to customer service they don't know every single school zone, speed limit, etc- they weren't particularly clear on how they get the information. As for verbal warnings: no, only audio sounds as provided. And if you're getting audio alerts for school zones, you're one up on me.

Thanks Trey. Apparently (as I was saying in my previous reply) the even the 720 is only able to chime when a school/church is near. Take this statement with a grain of salt, though - as I've been a 720 owner for only some 4 hours now and I've only run some demos with it so far.

Ask a Question