Rider 2
Ok let's start w/ the basics.
1) You own a motorcycle.
2) You own a TT Rider
3) You like the road less travled.
So on my TTR2 I have two route selections
a)Fastest
b) shortest
I would think there would be sceanic (sp) selection or a twistest (if that is a word) choice for the cage these first two choices are very useful but since I have not mounted the TTR to the bike so maby I am missing a setting for the road less traveled. Does any of this make sence?

I have set up my compass display to point to destination wich gives me a general direction, when I am on the bike that is all I need unless I am heading for a specific campground or some place for Dinner. But biker friendly roads would be cool. Has any one else figured out how to do this?

GT

I live in NY where we only have two seasons Winter & construction. I have not even thought about mounting my TTR to the Bike. 40+ Day's till spring

I don't have a "rider" but I do ride a motorcycle (mounted a TT ONE XL to mine). I have found that there are very few variations in the routing calculations regarding "the road less traveled". So far my preferance has been the "bicycle" selection. It tends to keep you off the interstates yet will still not send you the wrong way up a one way street. The only selection I have not checked out very carefully is the "limited speed" selection, which I set once to 45MPH and it still put me on the freeway! I'm guessing that by setting a "max speed" to something around 35 or 40 MPH might at least keep you off the local freeways (but I have yet to test my theory). So far the only noticable difference I have seen between most of the selections (using fastest and shortest as a bench mark), is that the verbal warning comes later (closer to the event) when set to walking or bicycle, and it does not "stack" instructions as much (you dont get the "turn right, and then turn left at the 3 left turn" all as one prompt. It seems that you just get less warning (verbal) with those settings ("take the second right" is the most warning I get with the bicycle setting.) The best way I have found to get sent thru the "twisties", is to force it there using waypoints. That does require some advanced planning, but I rarely "throw a leg over" without a little advance planning anyway! You are right, it would be cool to have a "senic" option (even for the cage drivers). They seem to have their act more together in Eourpe, as there seem to be several "routes" posted on TT Home that are motorcycle frendly, but I haven't seen one listed for anywhere in the states. Maybe some of the "cruzer crowd" can start logging some of their runs and posting them to TT Home. I lean toward the "adventure / off road" loops, so my routes would not intrest most folks that have a TT strapped to their bars!

Last edited:
I don't have a "rider" but I do ride a motorcycle (mounted a TT ONE XL to mine). I have found that there are very few variations in the routing calculations regarding "the road less traveled". So far my preferance has been the "bicycle" selection. It tends to keep you off the interstates yet will still not send you the wrong way up a one way street. The only selection I have not checked out very carefully is the "limited speed" selection, which I set once to 45MPH and it still put me on the freeway! I'm guessing that by setting a "max speed" to something around 35 or 40 MPH might at least keep you off the local freeways (but I have yet to test my theory). So far the only noticable difference I have seen between most of the selections (using fastest and shortest as a bench mark), is that the verbal warning comes later (closer to the event) when set to walking or bicycle, and it does not "stack" instructions as much (you dont get the "turn right, and then turn left at the 3 left turn" all as one prompt. It seems that you just get less warning (verbal) with those settings ("take the second right" is the most warning I get with the bicycle setting.) The best way I have found to get sent thru the "twisties", is to force it there using waypoints. That does require some advanced planning, but I rarely "throw a leg over" without a little advance planning anyway! You are right, it would be cool to have a "senic" option (even for the cage drivers). They seem to have their act more together in Eourpe, as there seem to be several "routes" posted on TT Home that are motorcycle frendly, but I haven't seen one listed for anywhere in the states. Maybe some of the "cruzer crowd" can start logging some of their runs and posting them to TT Home. I lean toward the "adventure / off road" loops, so my routes would not intrest most folks that have a TT strapped to their bars!

Thanks Great Idea about the bicycle route.
By the looks of your avatar I see what you mean about off the beaten path.

Has anyone ever used the "avoid freeways" setting on the mapping? That should get you onto the road less traveled.

Tried it this morning. It still took me on the freeway for about 1/2 mile. The only way I have found so far to stay off that particular route to work is use the "avoid part of the route" option after the route has been calculated. Bummer!

you can try websites like this http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/ and view the rides other drivers have submitted. although not in tomtom format, you can convert the route via tyre i think or one of the other programs like that for your tomtom and use it as an itinerary.

Ok let's start w/ the basics.
1) You own a motorcycle.
2) You own a TT Rider
3) You like the road less travled.
So on my TTR2 I have two route selections
a)Fastest
b) shortest
I would think there would be sceanic (sp) selection or a twistest (if that is a word) choice for the cage these first two choices are very useful but since I have not mounted the TTR to the bike so maby I am missing a setting for the road less traveled. Does any of this make sence?

I have set up my compass display to point to destination wich gives me a general direction, when I am on the bike that is all I need unless I am heading for a specific campground or some place for Dinner. But biker friendly roads would be cool. Has any one else figured out how to do this?

GT

I live in NY where we only have two seasons Winter & construction. I have not even thought about mounting my TTR to the Bike. 40+ Day's till spring

I do ride and Honda Shadow, I now have a TTone XL, just got, I normally don't worry to much about the roads as I know mostly where I'm going, the TT is for finding places I need with address for a lot of PGR Missions and of course for work and customers addresses.
Usually if on a couple week trip on the ride then I will always carry paper maps to get the general drift of where I want to go, then I can use the TT for gas, food, motels, etc. so far it is working good for what I want, I like the ease of operation, beats my old Garmin GPS V for ease, but the thing I liked about the Garmin I could load routes into the GPS from the Garmin Map on the computer, the problem was accessing the info.
I like the idea when away from the home location and in a not to familiar situation and when I'm ready to go home, just punch the home button and away we go............

I like the ease of operation, beats my old Garmin GPS V for ease, but the thing I liked about the Garmin I could load routes into the GPS from the Garmin Map on the computer, the problem was accessing the info............

From this site I found a neat program called tyre it works w/ Google maps/Google Earth you can lay out your route via Google Maps then load the itinary to your TT via TTHome try that & let me know what you think.

GT

Ok here is another question. is there any way to adjust the speed warning on the rider2nd ie. 5 miles over & it flashes red I would like to be able to turn it down or UP once riding season gets here any Idea's?

GT

From this site I found a neat program called tyre it works w/ Google maps/Google Earth you can lay out your route via Google Maps then load the itinary to your TT via TTHome try that & let me know what you think.

GT
Have two problems, one I'm one of the really old farts, the other is I'm not a guru for operating the computer programs, so that leave's me kinda in the dark on "tyre", I do know how to do routes on Google Maps and print out for taking along on routes but the download to the TomTom would be something I might have trouble figuring out.
Maybe if you could e-mail me the proceedure I could figure that part out.
Thanks
John
e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Have two problems, one I'm one of the really old farts, the other is I'm not a guru for operating the computer programs, so that leave's me kinda in the dark on "tyre", I do know how to do routes on Google Maps and print out for taking along on routes but the download to the TomTom would be something I might have trouble figuring out.
Maybe if you could e-mail me the proceedure I could figure that part out.
Thanks
John
e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

give me a couple of days we will see if I can do that
GT

Tyre

I don't think you'll have much problem with TYRE. It's freeware and can be downloaded at www.janboersma/nl/gett.index.php
Just click on "DOWNLOAD"
It will install itself and ask you what language you want
You can create an Itenerary with enough waypoints to get the exact roads you want. I don't use my TomTom to select my route, it just stores it and tells me where to turn.
Click on "Run Google Maps"
The map of the entire planet will come up
Enter your street address, town, and state in the search window
Click on "Add to Itinerary"
Enter the address of your destination in the search window
Click on Add to Itinerary
Click on calculate and it will show a route
If you want to go by a different road just click on the road you want to travel on and a waypoint will appear and the route will recalculate through that point.
When you are satisfied with the route, click ok and the TYRE menu will appear again.
Click File, then Save As, give it a name and where you want to save it to on your computer.
You can do all this without even connecting your tomtom to the computer.
To transfer your itinerary to your tomtom
connect the usb cable
turn the tomtom on
if Home starts up just exit with the red X
In the Tyre main menu click TomTom then copy to TomTom
I'm an old fart too so I know you can do it.

Play around in Tyre, it doesn't really do a lot of different things,
just all the things you'll ever want it to.

I don't think you'll have much problem with TYRE. It's freeware and can be downloaded at www.janboersma/nl/gett.index.php
Just click on "DOWNLOAD"
It will install itself and ask you what language you want
You can create an Itenerary with enough waypoints to get the exact roads you want. I don't use my TomTom to select my route, it just stores it and tells me where to turn.
Click on "Run Google Maps"
The map of the entire planet will come up
Enter your street address, town, and state in the search window
Click on "Add to Itinerary"
Enter the address of your destination in the search window
Click on Add to Itinerary
Click on calculate and it will show a route
If you want to go by a different road just click on the road you want to travel on and a waypoint will appear and the route will recalculate through that point.
When you are satisfied with the route, click ok and the TYRE menu will appear again.
Click File, then Save As, give it a name and where you want to save it to on your computer.
You can do all this without even connecting your tomtom to the computer.
To transfer your itinerary to your tomtom
connect the usb cable
turn the tomtom on
if Home starts up just exit with the red X
In the Tyre main menu click TomTom then copy to TomTom
I'm an old fart too so I know you can do it.

Play around in Tyre, it doesn't really do a lot of different things,
just all the things you'll ever want it to.

Thanks Mud, I down loaded it and played around just a little, thanks again

Hey Mud,

Thanks for the good info.

I just tried to get to the web site you list, and my browser said it couldn't locate the server. Is it up all the time?

Thanks.

aerotech
Never mind guys. The URL listed is not quite correct.
It should be http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ask a Question