Rider 2 questions (thinking about eBay purchase)

I'm a Canadian now living and working in southern California, and I'm new to motorcycling. This place is so big and complicated, though, I want a GPS for my street bike. The Garmin Zumo's are too darn expensive, but I'm seeing the odd Rider2 on eBay for decent prices. So I'm thinking about getting one. But I have some questions:

• I've heard about problems with the Tomtom mount. What about a RAM mount?
  • If I go to a RAM (or other) mount, can I still make it charge from the bike's system (e.g. through a ciglighter adapter or straight wires)?
  • I'm planning on doing some long distance rides (google "iron butt"). I'd like to be able to create a track in Google Maps or some other software, and then load it into the GPS. Sometimes, I won't want the Rider to calculate the best way to get between points; I might want it to follow the specific track I give it. Is that possible through other software or what have you?
  • And finally, being from Canada, I'm probably going to ride some there, too, when I take vacations etc. Anyone with any Canadian-specific experience with this unit?

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome to TTF! (especially a fellow Canuck :canada: ).

We have some avid bikers with TT units eager to assist others in this forum. So check back in a relatively short time (like 24 hours if not earlier) and I suspect you will get some good answers!

I have been usin the TT Rider2 for many years now, and maybe I have just been lucky, but never any problems with my Rider.

The TT Rider comes with a RAM mount, there is no issue at all there. Some (many?) have had problems with the actually charging cradle (I have not). They are no longer available from TT, and I dont think they are even trying to sell the new (and disappointing Urban Rider series) in NA.

I have never tried to input Google Map routes in to my Rider, but you can very easily create your own routes using the Itinerary feature, it works well. You can do it right on the GPS, or use HOME to access your Rider.

My Rider2 has been extremely durable, and I rarely even remove it from the bike. I do a fair amount of travel, so it has seen its share of rain, sun, wind, bumps, etc.

Maps are still "updatable", but for how long, who can say.

If you can pick up a complete unit for cheap, I say go for it.

I have always kept a dab of dielectric grease on the cradle contact pins,perhaps that has been the diff in the durability.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • I've heard about problems with the Tomtom mount. What about a RAM mount?
Even if you get a RAM mount, you have to use the tomtom cradle. They're hard to source if it becomes broken. (I've not seen them in the US for a while, although mine is working good, so I stopped looking.)

• If I go to a RAM (or other) mount, can I still make it charge from the bike's system (e.g. through a ciglighter adapter or straight wires)?
I've got mine hard-wired to an "add-a-fuse" (google it - you'll find them available on Amazon.com) right into the fuse box. Works like a charm. I've tried mounting a cig adapter inside of the fairing but things vibrated too much.

• I'm planning on doing some long distance rides (google "iron butt"). I'd like to be able to create a track in Google Maps or some other software, and then load it into the GPS. Sometimes, I won't want the Rider to calculate the best way to get between points; I might want it to follow the specific track I give it. Is that possible through other software or what have you?
It's possible. go here. Tomtom and Google

• And finally, being from Canada, I'm probably going to ride some there, too, when I take vacations etc. Anyone with any Canadian-specific experience with this unit?
Can't help you there...

I use a ram ball mount and don't have a problem. If You buy a TomTom Rider2 on ebay or craigslist. etc. make sure you have all the bike mounts that come with the unit that will eliminate most of the problems you will encounter. You should not have a problem with charging from an accessory outlet on any bike. You will also need the Scala Rider headset that comes with the unit.
Personally if I were in the market for a m/c gps I would get a Garmin.

I have the TT and it still works, but their customer support is poor. Plus the unit is obsolete and parts will be hard to find.

Ask a Question