Problems with POIs

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Wanted to put this in a POI thread, but couldn't. Maybe a Moderator will move this where it belongs.

After a couple of weeks, and a lot of effort, correcting local POI information and locations, I wound up with a major FUBAR, had to reformat my flash memory, and lost all the corrected POI information.

I'm willing to re-do all that, but first I have a question to ask.

When I corrected the location of a map-provided POI, I lost the custom .bmp image. For example, the McDonalds on my Go720 map (N_A v710.1584) was in the wrong location by 1/2 mile. When I moved it to the correct location, the .bmp changed from the McD logo to the generic "restaurant" .bmp.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Wanted to put this in a POI thread, but couldn't. Maybe a Moderator will move this where it belongs.

After a couple of weeks, and a lot of effort, correcting local POI information and locations, I wound up with a major FUBAR, had to reformat my flash memory, and lost all the corrected POI information.

I'm willing to re-do all that, but first I have a question to ask.

When I corrected the location of a map-provided POI, I lost the custom .bmp image. For example, the McDonalds on my Go720 map (N_A v710.1584) was in the wrong location by 1/2 mile. When I moved it to the correct location, the .bmp changed from the McD logo to the generic "restaurant" .bmp.

Is there a way to avoid this?

I noticed the same thing. You cannot correct that as the TomTom coding uses the icons that are in the /Brand directory under your maps directory. If you want to correct one of their POIs that have one of these brand icons, you'll need to create a custom POI category (like McDonalds) and copy the mcdonals brand icon into the same name as the new custom category you just created.

More on custom category icons on my page here:
>>> Custom POI Image <<<

Sucks that it doesn't keep the association with the brand icon, but that is the way it is.

I've found some of the categories, such as post office or playing field, retain the proper icon when the location is corrected. But most, particularly grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations, change to the generic icon when the POI is moved, losing the brand icon.

That sucks, and there must be some way around it. Or do we just wait for the next firmware and/or OS version and hope TomTom will fix it?

Ask a Question