Problems with Auto Dim on Go710

TomTom Model(s)
Go710
Hi TomTommers,

Apologies in advance if this is a chestnut, (I'm only new and I couldn't find much about this in the archive search)

Has anyone had a problem with the autodim on a Go710 or similar.

Mine works for a few days or weeks, then all of a sudden decides that it is still daytime no matter what the ambient brightness is.
If you try to manually go to night colours, it shuts down the autodim feature.
"Do you want to change to night colours when dark?" message appears - yes/no.
If you try to turn it back on to auto, it stays in day mode.

The only fix I have found fir it is to:
1. Wait until it is daylight
2. Set the "change to night colours when dark" to off. Turn TomTom off.
3. Hit the reset button in the base of the unit. Turn unit on.
4. Change the switch back to on.
5. Wait until dark (or simulate dark) to see if it has worked.
6. Repeat 1-5 until it works.

Frustrating in the extreme.

Only once has it decided to stick on night colours during day time, the problem is more about it not recognising darkness.

All help appreciated.

This is a known problem to the x10 unit range.
Im not sure of the exact cause but I did notice it happening when I turn on the unit with it is not docked to the mount.

The quickfix is to connect the unit to HOME, turn on Virtual TomTom. Make sure its on Daymode. If it is on daymode, switch to night, then day again.
Disconnect the unit and it should be fine.

Thank you

Thank you Pedro2NR.
:confused:

When you say "connect to Home", do you mean removing the unit from the car and docking it to the computer and running TomTomHome?
This is not so easy to do on the road...
It pretty much means a 24 hour turnaround time.

I might have to fire off some rockets to the TomTom support guys to see if they will fix it in an update.
And age a few years while they send me stock replies to questions I didn't ask... again. :(
Gotta love em.

Regards
Alan

Like Pedro2NR said, the problem is that it will not work if it is not docked in the car mount (possibly in the home dock also, but have never fooled with it there). I have a 910, and a friend has a 510 (basically the same as yours).

You did not say if you are having this problem in the car mount. If so, does the car mount otherwise work (charge) ? There have been a lot of problems with this mount on the x10 series, so that alone could be causing you the problem.

As for TomTom fixing it with an update, I would love to see an update for x10 devices for many reasons, but it looks like that will not happen - only for new devices for obvious marketing reasons.

Hi GAW,

Sorry - never thought to say it was in the car mount, that is where my TT lives and I have never thought of the possibility of having to use the TT in day/night mode anywhere but on the commute to work & driving around town.

The mounting bracket works ok, the charge light never falters.
I have a spare mount I bought for a second car, so I will try it out to see if it makes a difference.

Regards

Good luck.

I also recommend trying Pedro2NR's suggestions with the device before you use the new mount - then you will have pretty much covered all the bases for the problem you are having.

One more thing, I recall that it seemed to "take' better when you enter the settings (dimming and day/night) when it is in the mount - not when it has been removed.

Ask a Question