Problem

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so if I have posted this in the wrong place or broken any guideliness please correct me thanks.

I have stumbled upon this forum looking for an answer after getting nowhere with the official Tomtom support. I have a tomtom XL Live IQ routes Europe edition brought at the end of July 2010 as I was starting a new job as a driver and thought it would be good as it would re-route me around accidents etc. It was working OK until 22/11/2010 when I lost the all the live updates eg traffic, fuel and google.

So I was wondering if some kind person might be able to help me?
When I programmme a route it does it's normal stuff and works the route out and I press done the rote comes up and off I go. Now the problem is the traffic bar does not come up to show traffic on route etc. It starts to roam for signal for the traffic and fuel etc and shows a little icon in the bottom left corner like curves as in the antenna. Then it will not find anything and when I press live services and then my services it comes up with sim card error 1001 please contact tomtom which I have done and they say it's an error on their server. I have phoned and emailed since the 27/11/10 but to no conclusion.

Also after the sat nav has been up and running for a while it produces an error message of 10 and sometimes 13.

I have tried rebooting and restarting the device and following what tomtom suggest.
s in there emails and online support.

I can not even log in using the my tomtom account on page 6 of the preferences. As soon as I touch the button it comes up with the same error 1001.

Now the interesting thing is if I switch my sat nav on near my wireless computer and programme a route the traffic information comes up straight away and I can use all of the functions eg fuel, google and I do not get a 1001 error message. I can also see my subscription details as well. But when I turn my sat nav off and leave it for a while and restart it say outside it comes up with the error message again.

I wonder if anyone can help as it is driving me mad!!! :mad:

Kind Regards

Michael

Michael, When the device has the Live services working I assume its connected to the PC via the USB cable? The device doesn't have WiFi so it won't be grabbing a connection that way.

As TomTom have said its a problem on their server give them a ring on Monday on 0845 161 0009 and ask them to reset your account. Don't bother with e-mail as thats a waste of time.

I would also request an extension to your Live subscription for the duration you have been without a service you have been paying for. If this needs a supervisor to answer/ grant request to speak to one - Mike

Usually people that work as a drivers are continually installing different devices in their vehicle to make their job easier. My impression is whether your vehicle has no more additional devices in it today than it did when it was actually working. That is, if something new was installed on the same DC circuit as your car charger receiver, maybe there is electrical noise now interfering with the FM reception. Therefore, have you tried testing your Tomtom in a standard/different car with the same results?

Hi Mikealder and ehunter,

Thanks for the reply.
To answer your question Mike the Satnav is NOT connected to the computer via the usb cable when the live services are working, It is just sat next to it.
I have rung them and they have they have reset my account and given me an extension on my live services but to no avail.

To answer your question ehunter I have not changed anything in the van or my car I have even tried to use it in my wife's car but again it still does not work.

It only seems to work next to the PC but not attached to the PC via a usb cable OR when I plug it into the PC via the usb cable and use operate my device.

Kind Regards

Michael

The next thing I would do then is get a loaner charger/receiver.

Either there is something wrong with charger/receiver or the actual GPS.

Is there a place on this site where people can buy second hand/used but working Tomtom devices/components?

Hi
Thanks for the reply's.

I am not willing to buy another unit or spares as it is still under warranty, but tomtom says it is not a fault with the unit they say it's a fault with their server or should I say the company which the live services are subbed out to.

If anyone else has any ideas I can try I would appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Michael

Demand the device is RMA'd back to TomTom for rectification under warranty as its clearly defective, the aerial symbol on the display is indicating no reception - Mike

I don't remember what country your from but in the states the stores here, like, Best Buy, would allow you to borrow a loaner charge/receiver for 5 minutes (from a display unit) allowing you to validate if your own receiver is bad. Hopefully the stores where you live grant you such privileges.

The XL LIVE has an internal GPRS modem. Go to the status screen and choose "network status". Let us know what is showing on that screen, as it might shed some clues as to what is wrong.

i feel so sorry for you i have been there {re set new apps crash this that send to tomtom spend more money} all helpfull and very nice people i never had any one rude but i do think tomtom could do more they do not pay any attention to what we say or what is even worse not to their staff most of these proplems keep coming up.

I also have the error code 1001 on my 540. This is the response I received from TomTom after running through the usual reset routines:

"I understand that you have experienced error 1001 when trying to access LIVE services on your LIVE device.

This is an issue that we are aware of and urgently working to resolve.

You may be able to access LIVE services later on today as it is an intermittent server issue.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you subscribe to the FAQ we have: Error 1001: Cannot connect to TomTom LIVE Services.

We will update this page once we have resolved the issue. If you click on 'Notify Me' at the bottom of the FAQ, you will receive an email notification to advise you of the update.

Thank you for your valuable time and for giving me an opportunity to assist you."

Needless to say that I still can't access LIVE services.

I wonder how many others are affected by this "server issue"?

Error 1001

I have had this issue since the 27th Dec my 540 went back yesterday to tomtom done every thing you did no joy.

Ask a Question