Problem with upgrading SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
One
...Click install, and wait (it's USB, after all.) Let it install, disconnect via HOME, your unit will reset itself...
Hello Guys,
I got hung up after this step...my screen keeps keeps getting "stuck" on a white screen and has the hour glass and says "Please wait" in English and other languages. Any suggestions. I have reset the device several time with no luck and I'm using a new 2 gig card.

Thanks

hmmm...that screen usually appears when it tries to establish a connection to your PC.

Do you get that screen when the device is NOT connected to your computer?

Thanks for the move battom.

hmmm...that screen usually appears when it tries to establish a connection to your PC.

Do you get that screen when the device is NOT connected to your computer?

Yes I get that screen wether the device is connected or not. It starts up normal enough with the red tomtom hands but then it goes to the white screen in gets stuck. I removed everything from the card and then re-installed but that was unsuccessful so now I'm thinking of removing everything except the NA map off the 2 gig card and then copying everything except the maps from the tomtom 1 gig card onto the 2 gig card to see if that works.

I did do a step that I did not see mentioned in the instructions...I installed the USA Satellites onto the 2 gig card and I did not see that mentioned in the instructions but figured that was just an oversight because it won't work without the satellites right (I'm guessing)? I tried removing the satellite just in case but I got the same results.

That happen to me when I was upgrading to a 2 gig card.
I reformated the card and re-installed north america on the card.

EUREKA!!

Well, I tried every trick in the book and then I reformatted the card and then transfered ALL the data from the original sd card over to the 2 gig card. The 2 gig card worked with my latest settings from the old card (Now at least I know that the 2 gig card does work)

Once I saw that the 2 gig card worked, I deleted the old USA_Canada map (USA_C) from the 2 gig card and added the new North_America map (N_A). The tomtom was working fine (WHEW) until I noticed that the USA_C folder was still there (although the map was deleted) and that my POIs were still in this folder and I also needed my favorites back. So I moved the POIs from the USA_C folder to the N_A folder (and also put my favorites back) and then deleted the USA_C folder BUT now my tomtom no loger worked.

It made no sense to me why it wouldn't work as all I did was move files from the USA_C folder to the N_A folder and then deleted the USA_C folder. So I said to myself this things seems to like the USA_C folder for whatever reason, so I recreated the USA_C folder and moved the N_A maps, POIs and favorite settings all to the USA_C folder and tomtom was running again with all my old favorites. I have no clue why the USA_C folder is needed (or if it's really needed) but that's what my tomtom wants so that's what my tomtom got.

Thanks again to all for the help.

wow.
Seems like you had to struggle a bit.
but I am glad you got it to work now. :)
yeah, i don't get why you need US/Canada folder still...
But I think the trouble you just went through can help other people
who might have the same problem in the future.
Well done!

That's not right... and I bet you end up with problems down the road. no pun intended.

Just to appease me, try this.
Instead of MOVING the files from US_C copy them to N_A.
RESET
Reboot
see if it comes up.... if it does, RENAME US_C to "Old"
RESET
Reboot
see if it comes up... if it does delete "Old"

I'm thinking htere's a stuck mid file or something.

You should end up with all your custom POIs inthe same folder as the current loaded map. Along with your Mapsettings.cfg file. Did you delete the maps using the TomTom? Or via HOME?

That's not right... and I bet you end up with problems down the road. no pun intended.

Just to appease me, try this.
Instead of MOVING the files from US_C copy them to N_A.
RESET
Reboot
see if it comes up.... if it does, RENAME US_C to "Old"
RESET
Reboot
see if it comes up... if it does delete "Old"

I'm thinking htere's a stuck mid file or something.

You should end up with all your custom POIs inthe same folder as the current loaded map. Along with your Mapsettings.cfg file. Did you delete the maps using the TomTom? Or via HOME?
I don't anticipate any issues. The end result is I removed the old US/Canada map and replaced it with the new NA map...I don't believe the name of the folder should matter. I'll try it though when I have some time because it takes some time to move the 1.4 gig map from 1 folder to another.

Last edited:
>I deleted the old USA_Canada map (USA_C) from the 2 gig card and added the new North_America map (N_A).

Will the North_America map load from the new map DVD? the "credit card" with my new map says "TomTom Maps v6.65 USA and Canada Upgrade".

Is there a benefit of using the North_America map instead of the updated (665) USA_Canada map?

Are there any SD cards that the TomTom doesn't like, does it take SDHC cards too?

thanks m

>I deleted the old USA_Canada map (USA_C) from the 2 gig card and added the new North_America map (N_A).

Will the North_America map load from the new map DVD? the "credit card" with my new map says "TomTom Maps v6.65 USA and Canada Upgrade".

Is there a benefit of using the North_America map instead of the updated (665) USA_Canada map?

Are there any SD cards that the TomTom doesn't like, does it take SDHC cards too?

thanks m

The benefit of having of having the NA map instead of the US/Canada map is shown here. In summary there is no difference between the two other than the file size difference. The NA maps are for the 910 because of its internal hard drive space. However, as you can see many people who don't the TT910 have the NA maps using 2GB SD cards.

I don't have an SDHC but looking at the spec, SDHC are not compatible with the SD format. Unless someone has an SDHC working properly on a TT1, I would have to say no. I searched the manual and the device itself has no such logo.

I stand corrected

I don't have an SDHC but looking at the spec, SDHC are not compatible with the SD format. Unless someone has an SDHC working properly on a TT1, I would have to say no. I searched the manual and the device itself has no such logo.

The TT1 has been confirmed to work with SDHC cards specifically with this one.

Ask a Question