Problem with "No maps found"

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
I had my USA map installed on TT ONE v2 and wanted to replace with my W. Europe map. After the Euro map was installed and "error" sign appeared. I have tried to restore the map to no avail. My device reads "no maps found" even though 933.7 MB is installed. Can anyone help?

First, I assume you have backups of your unit and of your two maps? If so, we can probably resolve this by manually moving somethings off and onto your unit.

Excellent. That will help a lot.
Rather than using Home to move the maps around, let's try to do it manually. Home could probably be used, but I trust you much more than I trust Home! Home is probably, after all, how you got into this ditch.
First, get your unit connected and let Home fire up. Minimize Home since we'll be doing this work with your PC's own file management, not Home. (I should ask .. PC or Mac?)

Once connected, check for the map folder on your unit, and while you're at it, let's find your two maps on your PC as well. I don't recall what the smaller versions of the maps and their folders are called on the ONE, but we'll sort that as we go.

On your unit, there should be a map folder that is clearly indicating 'Western_Europe' or similar.
On your PC, we need to locate the two maps. The could be located in
C:\Documents and Settings\CHRIS\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map
or if you've also backed them up, they could be located in C:\Documents and Settings\CHRIS\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE (I think it's ONE, but please check)

Both folders and the big map files inside them will clearly indicate their Western Europe and North America nature in the folder and filenames.

Once you have those located, let us know.

OK, firstly it's PC.

I found the maps via Home:
West European saved at C:Users\Terry\Documents\TomTom\Home\FromDevice\Wester_Europe.zip
USA saved at C:Users\Terry\Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\Complete\Map\USA\activation.zip
C:Users\Terry\Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\Complete\Map\USA\United_States.zip

I switched on the GPS unit but the only response now is a picture of the device on the screen. There used to be a question "do you want to connect to the computer" and subsequently the message "no maps found" but now neither appear.

The USA map has been removed from the device and safely parked. The W. European map has been re-installed in the device but for some reason it can't be read. As you said, the best remedy would be to remove the W. Euro map from the device and then correctly re-install it. Can that be done? The unit can't accommodate both maps due to lack of memory space. Many thanks.

Great. Had to check your IP address to sort out which one you started with. I see you're in the UK, so you would have started with Europe and purchased USA. That all makes sense based upon where things are located. It sounds now as though you have more than a map problem, but let's begin there and see if we can get this thing running.

Let's start by getting the unit backed up. Please back up using this procedure >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/
You won't be using Home for that operation. Rather, you'll be using the normal select/copy/paste on your PC that you'd use for other files. When you connect your unit, Home will fire up. Just minimize it to keep it out of your way while you work.

If that works correctly, then we also know that you have good communication with your unit and can move to the next step.

Once that's complete, locate the folder on your unit containing your Western_Europe map and delete it from your unit.
Manually unzip a copy of C:Users\Terry\Documents\TomTom\Home\FromDevice\Wester_Europe.zip into your units root directory - same place as you found it in the step above.

When you're done, expand Home again and use it to disconnect your unit properly.

See if the manual restore of the map causes any improvement. If not, we'll have to consider that the firmware may be corrupt, and we'll have to add another step or two ahead of putting the map on the unit again ... deleting all and having Home reinstall the firmware before we load the map as you just did above. I'm curious -- is there any content in a folder called C:Users\Terry\Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\complete\program ???

Last - does your unit serial number start with characters "Z1"?

Thanks for your reply.

How to backup contents (app. 9.x and earlier) - assumed this to be correct. Got as far as "double click on drive letter" - I don't understand this. I'm beginning to think I may not be able to follow these instructions.

If you double click on a 'drive', it opens the drive for viewing. If you are familiar with the use of a thumb drive, for example, it will look the same way. Your ONE looks like an external disk drive, and we're going to treat it that way.

Ah - now that's another problem altogether, and it's now where we must start. It now sounds like your unit is no longer recognized by the PC at all.

When you plug your ONE to your PC with the USB cable, do you get the normal audio notification from Windows of a USB device being connected? I take it that Home does not automatically execute when the ONE is connected?

OK. I have been doing some more exploring. I have found the way to manually paste the backup Euro map on to the device. I can't finalise this because there is insufficient space. I need to find a way of removing the corrupted Euro map from my device so that I can replace it with the above. I can't do it through HOME because the map is not listed as being on the device even though it surely is. The computer and the device are now communicating again.

Drive-Letter.png

I'm going to be unavailable all day today. Fellow mods, please jump in.

We really need to know what Terry sees when he opens Windows Explorer and locates the Drive letter(s) for his device.

Ask a Question