Problem with Live Traffic

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
I have a TomTom Go 740 Live TM and recently I am having problems with live services.
50% of the time, the 740 would try to connect to the live server but then return back on rds traffic(while network status still shown as connected).
30% of the time the 740 will stuck on the loading(spinning circle on live traffic bar) and stay there until I turn it off (network status shows as connected also)
The rest is when it function normally(takes like 3 minutes to connect and get data), but usually got disconnected mid way through my trip and sometimes it reconnect sometimes it doesn't. (network status stays connected the entire way, just got disconnected from the server)

I am currently on the latest firmware (9.430) and latest map (v895). I tried running clear flash tool 3 times, reinstall the device from scratch(remove everything, install firmware, install map, quickgpsfix, mapshare) still doesn't work.

AT&T is shutting down their 2G network, which is used by the 740 (see here).

For usable HD traffic in major American cities, you need to switch to the Android or iPhone app.

Grr...
I just renewed the live services like 2 months ago for the entire year...
Do you think it is possible to transfer the live service if I buy a new device?

Grr...
From the discussion above, it sounds as if the source of the problem is the data feed from the phone company, not the GPS itself.

If that is correct, buying a new device would not help.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Grr...
From the discussion above, it sounds as if the source of the problem is the data feed from the phone company, not the GPS itself.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Yes, Tom, it would help. The odds of connecting any current iPhone or Android phone to a 2G network are about zilch. These smart phones are using a different connection method to the same carriers. In fact, it is because these carriers are stealing bandwidth from their older 2G systems to support these phones that the available 2G for TomTom units is becoming more scarce.

Does all the tomtom GPS using 2G network?
Also, I am using Samsung Galaxy S3, which currently is not supported by tomtom, so thats not an option, plus I am more used to a GPS unit instead of a phone

There are only 4 LIVE Tomtom models ever sold in the USA.

XL340LIVE
GO740LIVE
GO1535LIVE
GO2535LIVE

I checked all of them on the FCC website, and all only have 2G modem capabilities.

I also have a Galaxy S3, and have sideloaded the Tomtom app. The ui look a little misaligned, but it is more than usable. And the HD traffic is perfect.

Grr...

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Yes, Tom, it would help. The odds of connecting any current iPhone or Android phone to a 2G network are about zilch. These smart phones are using a different connection method to the same carriers. In fact, it is because these carriers are stealing bandwidth from their older 2G systems to support these phones that the available 2G for TomTom units is becoming more scarce.
Perhaps I interpreted his question too literally. He asked about buying a new device, which I interpreted as a newer model of GPS. I excluded buying an Android or iPhone app because those are just software, and I do not consider those to be devices, since I equate "device" with "hardware".

I'm aware of the difference in how the phone apps receive their traffic data, and I agree that if the trend continues of AT&T shortchanging the 2G connections, a phone may be the only practical method of getting HD Traffic. (Unless TomTom offers an external antenna system for 3G or 4G signals that will work with the existing models, or comes out with newer models that have such capability built in - and they have not announced such devices.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Presently cannot even get a phone connection unless rebooted after planning the route.
By "phone connection", do you mean the Bluetooth connection between your phone and the GPS, or are you talking about the "spinning wheel" on the HD Traffic bar?

Also, by "reboot", do you mean just a shutdown and restart, or do you mean the "drum-beat" reboot that requires holding down the power button until you hear the drum and see the TomTom logo?

I have occasionally encountered the need to do a drum-beat reboot to get my GO LIVE 1535 GPS to establish a Bluetooth connection to my phone, but it it has been very rare. I have never had to do it every time I plan a route. (On the occasions when this has been necessary, I typically have been getting a Bluetooth connection, followed immediately by the message "The phone has been disconnected".)

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks -et-.
I mean the "signal" icon is crossed out, the one that looks like ))) & yes the drumbeat many times.
Today spinning wheel & yellow triangle & message "cannot connect..." for the entire commute; no traffic info whatsoever.
Bummer.

Thanks -et-.
I mean the "signal" icon is crossed out, the one that looks like ))) & yes the drumbeat many times.
Today spinning wheel & yellow triangle & message "cannot connect..." for the entire commute; no traffic info whatsoever.
Bummer.
That sounds like it may be the problem that seems to be occurring more frequently in major metropolitan areas that is being blamed on AT&T, which provides the phone connection used for LIVE services such as HD Traffic.

I have no personal knowledge of what is happening, but others have stated that AT&T is sometimes temporarily disconnecting 2G service, especially at rush hour, to use the bandwidth for 4G customers. Since the hardware in our GPS devices uses a 2G connection, the cause of the problem would be AT&T, and it seems to be happening more frequently as AT&T adds 4G customers.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

That makes sense since connection is a lot better weekends & off hours.
I'm about ready to jump the ship & look for another brand (do they have the same problem?) or smart phone solution.
BTW I have the RDS connected, but it almost never kicks in.
Thanks a lot.

All other modem-based GPS units in the USA will have the same problem as they are all 2G.

Garmin has a feature that imitates the old Tomtom PLUS system, where you tether your PND to a smartphone.

Personally, with the quality of large-screen smartphones like the Galaxy S3, I see no reason to own a PND any longer.

Yes, I wish they used bluetooth to take advantage of the phone connectivity; I would still prefer a dedicated GPS but maybe forced to go in the smartphone direction. Unfortunately, I found iPhone 5 GPS to be pretty erratic & not yet clear how to mount it conveniently.
THX

BTW I have the RDS connected, but it almost never kicks in.
If I understand things correctly, a GPS with internal modem will ignore the signal received from the RDS-TMC antenna as long as the modem has a signal or is seeking a signal, as it gives higher priority to HD Traffic than to RDS Traffic. I don't have my GPS in front of me at the moment, but IF it is possible to turn off the HD Traffic, you might get reliable RDS Traffic information at times when HD Traffic seems inoperative.

I use a RDS-TMC antenna on my XXL540, and the data in the Los Angeles area is not bad. The HD Traffic data from my GO LIVE 1535 is normally better - IF it is working - but the RDS data is normally better than no data at all.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yes. THX. Apparently HD is trying to connect & don't know if there is a way to turn it off; I also have a XXL 540 & I was pretty pleased with it, but bought a "LIVE" for HD traffic.
It just burns me up.
THX

You might try a more drastic step ........... Restore to Factory Defaults.

You lose all custom settings but it may 'rehabilitate' the traffic.

Ask a Question