Prob connecting my device to internet.

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 Europe
I'm a victim of the Leap Year bug but just to rub salt in the wound I'm having problems connecting my START 25 to 'MyTomTom'. I've tried turning off antivirus and the device is connected via a direct USB not a hub. Ther device also has a 'computer' icon on the left of its screen.

Despite all this when I log onto MYTOMTOM it will not connect. However, it is strange because My TOMTOM seems to know what device I have.

Can someone help please with a leg by leg explanation of how I can cure this. I understand, having spent hours reading the many articles about this problem that I will need to update the firmware from my current 10.156 version and then install the bugfix.

I just want to connect with MyTomTom first......!

Just another point. While exploring MyTomTom website I was looking under the little green button - MyTomTom - chanced on an Activication code apparently required for
something. This is the first time I've seen this - is it important and where will I find my code?

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Connect to the computer with the unit off and THEN turn it on. See if, after a few seconds, the desktop icon shows it as connected.

I forgot to mention that my device is a Start 25.

Perhaps if I explain what I did to get here it might help someone else. I had in fact tried your suggestion as part of the original process. But, hey, I have managed to connect now! :blabla:

It appears that there was a problem with the way my original registration onto MyTomTom happened. I had spent two days reading and doing various things suggested by posters on this and the 'other' TomTom forum but without success.

I had emptied the cache via settings, I had restarted the device by holding down the button until the drums sounded, I had made sure my firewall was open and repeated the process of connecting the USB cable before turning the device on. I had gleaned that my app firmware was out of date - I had 10.156 - so even if the bugfix downloaded there was a chance that it would not install properly. However, all of this was unsuccessful and I could still not connect to the MyTomTom website.

Then I had a problem with logging onto MyTomTom. I think it was something to do with the fact that I live in France but wanted English as the language. This is a common problem with international websites. After many attempts I decided to create another account.

This proved to be the answer. As soon as I logged onto the new account the device was connected to the MyTomTom website and when the connection to the internet was shown the instruction not to disconnect the device came up.

It still took some time - about 15 minutes (Its a shame that there are no indications as to what is happening in terms of the download) - for anything to start and conclusively download the updates. The whole process took about an hour :rant:. I suggest that having emptied the cache was a help. The website told me that there were 24 updates for my device although I think this may have included the many speed camera files for each country. Not France in my case 'cos its illegal!!

Anyway, I am very grateful to this forum for giving me an insight into what I had to do although I don't recall creating another account being mentioned. The descriptions of the various processes and what to expect from them was very helpful. Unlike the 'it works, get over it' nonsense on 'another TomTom forum'.

To anyone caught in these problems with their TomTom, do persevere because I believe there will be a solution eventually. However, TomTom's response to all of this trouble has been appaling - I have yet to see an apology. To expect the customer to go through all the hoops and hurdles is a trend these days. One wouldn't be too pleased if when your washing machine went wrong they sent you the part and then expected you to be able to do the repair - not yet anyway. :(

Glad it's finally sorted. Having to create a new account is not a common solution as you've gathered but it seems to have worked in your case.

Ask a Question