Problem with home connecting to Tom Tom Server

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Brand new member - I hope someone can help where tom tom support cannot!

I have a new PC running Windows 7 - 64

tom tom support advise me that something is stopping Home from connecting to their server and have said they have no idea and now I need some help!

Home runs OK and when I attach tom tom GO 720 TT Home seems to talk to it as it comes up with GO 720 connected at the bottom right.

As soon as I click update my Go I get the searching for updates screen with the loading bar in the middle - and that is it it sits there for as long as you leave it.

I can see the Tom Tom in windows explorer as drive I: and can see all the directories etc

Based on this Tom Tom Support said that Home is connecting to my Tom Tom correctly but is not able to connedt to the Tom Tom Server for some reason - and said they couldn't help any further. They could be correct re no server connection as I can select backup in TT Home and it works OK - but I am a bit upset that tom tom support can't offer any help!

I have Norton Internet Security and have turned off smart firewall, intrusion prevention and just about everything else that can be turned off and it still doesn't work

Any ideas what to try next or look for that could be causing this problem?

PS all works fine on my work XP PC - however this is being upgraded in a couple of weeks and I would like to sort out the problem before I have no way of doing updates to my tom tom at all!

Thanks

John

DHN - Thanks - but have already tried XP compatible mode with no luck (TT support asked me to try that)

More info - I am now not sure that my Go 720 and home are talking correctly - I thought that backup was working but it turns out it isn't - it starts OK and than locks up when the screen ia approx 1/10 the way thru and says:

1. Creating Backup.... Copying file cline.dat

then it just hangs

Also, thinking about it more, before I even tried to connect my Go 720 I fired up Home and checked for updates - it found a newer version and I updated to it - now, after I have uninstalled Home and reinstalled using the tt support instructions I can still ask home to check for a newer version and home says I have the latest. Based on this it looks to me like Home is able to talk to the tom tom server - so the advice from tt support saying something is blocking Home from connecting to the tt server may not be correct?

Does anyone know if Home needs to talk to ttserver when just doing a backup? (I think not?)

If Home can correctly check for Home updates then doesn't that mean it can talk to the ttservers and hence what ttsupport have told me and said they cant help could be wrong?

Any ideas?

John

1. First, make Explorer, not Home, backups. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

2. Are you on a directly connected computer or a wireless? If the latter, I'd suggest using the former.

3. Are you using the cable provided with the tomtom device or another usb cable?

4. Are you connecting on a usb port on the back of the unit?

An easy way to check if Home is connecting would be to download a voice or POI file.I don't think you need a device connected to do that.

And I agree with above...Never use Home to make your backups! It has a history of making unrecoverable backups and if you try to make a second one it overwrites the first!

Ask a Question