Problem with connecting device to WinXp

TomTom Model(s)
XL335SE
Hello all,
After searching the web and this forum, I still don't find any solution to my problem.
As a starter:
1) WindowsXP Sp3 won't recognize the device (code 10)
2) TomTom XL335SE hangs itself up. After asking "connect to computer" and pressing "yes" the screen appears on the tomtom device with the device and a cable and a blue background on it. There it freezes.

History: I have bought it at the Walmart, used it for 10 days without any problem (never connected it to the computer though). I have tried the soft reset (holding on/off button for 15 sec and more), hard reset, turning it on before and after connecting it to the pc, uninstalling the usb driver from windows, using another pc with win7, etc. no luck. I also tried it on a pc with ubuntu/linux and it recognized the decive and its content, but that os is not supported with tomtom. any advice? I just use a dell latitude e5400 laptop.
thx

Are you trying to connect it to Tomtom Home? If so you will need to start Tomtom home program up. As far as I know the GPS is not usable while connected to the computer other than thru Tomtom home. You can check windows explorer to see if its showing up in it.

thy for the fast feedback. My latptop has 4 usd port, on none of them it works. I had also already installed TomTom Home, but the program says I don't have a device connected (logical, because i cannot even connect it to windows).

At first Device Manager complains that it requires the drivers for the device -but there is just nowhere where i could get those drivers from (do they actually exist for download?)- but after 1 min or so the Device Manager doesnt show any error messages. The device is listed as
"unknow device" with the notice that windows was unable to install the device because the driver is missing.
I tried to uninstall all usb drivers but also, no luck. I tried it again under linux, gets the device without a hassle, although only for about 10 sec. then it shuts down the device and acces is no longer available.

unfortunately i cannot return the device as i bought it in the us and now i am in europe.
any ideas on where to start again? I'm running out of options...

thx but unfortunately it doesn't work. it seems that the main problem is that the device hangs itself (freezes) while connecting to the computer. even after resetting it it freezes. don't know why that happens...

But if it freezes during boot up, (iow, something is happening), it should at least be recognized by the computer. Don't worry about Home at this point.

I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe somebody else will chime into this thread with guidance for you.

solved

Problem solved. It was the faulty miniUSB cable that came with the device. Once a proper working cable was used, it was immediately recognized. thx for all the help.

Glad the issue was resolved. Sorry I didn't suggest checking that possibility. I normally do. :(

Ask a Question