Connecting problem

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920, VIA 1535TM
This is embarrassing. After all these years connecting my Via 1535 to MyDrive for getting updates and new maps, I find myself unable to connect.
When I attach the machine set to my laptop, it used to open the MyDrive application and I would get the updates with almost no effort. Since yesterday, however, the set does not connect. After trying to update the driver, I get this message:

TomTom Via 1535 not recognized.JPG

Pursuing the link, I was instructed to soft-reset my GPS and to uninstall the "Unknown Device" driver in Device Manager, which I did. It worked, but teh solution did not last long. The next time I tried, the same thing happened again.

And ideas about the cause/solution of this problem?

Many thanks for all help.

In case this helps in identifying the issue, here is the message that pops up when I physically attach my device to the laptop:

TomTom device not recognized.JPG

I also installed MyDriveConnect's latest version .2260.

Hi dhn,
Thanks for your continued support. I followed the instructions in the link but did not pursue it to the end. Let me explain why.

After verifying the USB cable connections and going to the Device Manager, the instructions recommend checking under "Network Adapters" or "Other Devices". As shown in the figure below, there is nothing related to TomTom there:

TomTom driver not shown in Device Manager.JPG

However, I can see one "Unknown Device" listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", but how can I tell this is in fact related to TomTom?

TomTom listed as Unknown Device....JPG

Will this info provide any clues?

Here is the reason that made me stop:
If I do a soft-reset of my device, as included in those instructions, won't I lose my saved Favorites and POIs, for example? It is stated that I would only lose my time zone info, but I have found, more often than I would like, that instructions don't always deliver the stated results, unfortunately. Can you confirm if the information is reliable? Or should I do a backup of my Favorites and POIs?

One last thing, please: My device is a Via 1535 (which I understand to be the US version of Via 135) but I tried to have it checked automatically using the feature provided in the instructions, to see if it would deliver. But I was surprised to find that the system tells me the first 2 characters of my serial number (BO) are not valid?!?! I tried enter the second one as the letter O or the number 0 (zero) but no avail. Still invalid characters.But these are taken from the SN printed by the device's USB connection bay... What am I missing here?

I guess I'm getting a little lost... Please help, if you can. Thanks.

Thanks Canderson. Yeah, I found a couple other pages that show the information, so I realized there should be a problem with that particular one.

@dhn
@canderson

I went through the steps outlined but still could not find a solution.
I was looking forward for a long process involving the so-called soft-reset, from the warning to make sure I had at least 2 hours worth of charge in my device before starting. I thought I might have it but I kept the device attached to my laptop (which is in turn connected to a wall outlet) and performed all the listed steps, but not having achieved success, I wonder if I inadvertently goofed anywhere along the way.
I pressed the power button for quite a number of seconds till after the drums sound. But from there on, I did not notice anything that even remotely suggested a reset was under way or had been done.
In spite of that, I still rebooted my laptop, as indicated, but the "Not connected" message came immediately back in.
Can you tell if I'm doing something obviously wrong?
Many thanks for your help and... for your patience!

P.S. - I just checked my battery status and it shows 100% power. It does not say how long would that last... So I still wonder about that 2-hour-power-left recommendation...

Last edited:
Any additional ideas, please?
If not, could you let me know what you think of my trying to make a system restore from a couple weeks ago, at a time I believe my Via was working fine. That could probably do the trick, I believe? Short of that, I can't think of anything else, other than buying a new device and throw this one out... What else can I do? I have lifetime updates for the North America maps and an 18-month subscription for European maps, but if I can't connect to my computer, I can't even get any updates or make any backups. Everything was working fine until about 2 weeks ago, the last time I checked. Sad, not to say frustrating...
All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Thanks for responding, dhn.

I am waiting for a response from Customer Support to a query that I posted through "My Questions" to see what guidance they can provide. At this point, I feel almost positive that the problem resides with my device. And also, whatever the problem, it must be with the software. Why?

I have tried connecting through 3 different computers and they all delivered the same result -- Not connected! Now, the problem could be with the USB cable or the connecting port at the device's end, but this is not likely at all, because if Windows responds that "The USB device is not recognized" this means, in my humble opinion, that the hardware worked fine, but the software failed. Wouldn't you agree with this reasoning?

Secondly, in the various (and varied) attempts at connecting, I have got error messages that clearly indicate a physical connection (again, IMO) and then a software failure. Just two examples:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it... Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)."

or

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it... The device cannot start. (Code 10)."

So while I wait a word from TomTom, do these new pieces of information give you any hint about the nature of what may be at the bottom of the problem?

Thanks for your help and your patience too.. :)

Or is it actually a hardware problem?...

I just received a Windows update in one of my laptops named exactly "TomTom-Other Hardware-TomTom". While trying to install it, it failed with the following error:

"Code 800F020B Windows update encountered unknown error."

Googling for more info, I found this from Microsoft:

Failure to install TomTom Windows update.JPG

I would say this clearly points to a hardware connection problem... So now I'm confused... I don't know if we are talking about a software or a hardware problem...
In case the picture turns out to be hard to read, here is the MS page itself:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-800f020b#1TC=windows-7

Thanks again.

Ask a Question