power issue

TomTom Model(s)
520 720 730
I have a tomtom go 730 now when its0 connected to the charger it will charge turned off, if I unplug the charger an switch the unit on it works fine no problem if I go to connect the charger whilst its powered up it turns off, ive tried the pin reset anyone shine a light on this for me thanks

Is it just turning right off, or is it trying to go into the mode it uses when it's connected to a computer?
Also, are you using the original cable? If not, have you tried two different cables?

Hi andy. It just shuts down completely. Ive tried 3 original tomtom chargers original pc dock had the charging port replaced.

I have a tomtom go 730 now when its0 connected to the charger it will charge turned off, if I unplug the charger an switch the unit on it works fine no problem if I go to connect the charger whilst its powered up it turns off, ive tried the pin reset anyone shine a light on this for me thanks
There are two conditions/states not mentioned that I'd like to know about and are not mentioned...

You say the device charges if you connect the device to any external power source (PC or a car adapter or wall wart - all OK?).
If you connect to a non-PC source (car adapter or wall wart) and THEN try to power it on, what does it do? If you connect to a PC source and THEN try to power it on, what does it do?

hi sorry about that,
connected to the P.C, car charger, wall charger the device charges fine but will not power up / turn on
connected to car charger or wall charger the device charges fine,
after charging from either of the source's and the device removed from the charging device it will power up and work fine, im unable to restore or back up anything as im unable to connect to the pc, its had 2 brand new batteries fitted both held charge fine but didn't solve the problem, its had a new mini usb charging socket fitted and that didn't solve the problem,

hi sorry about that,
connected to the P.C, car charger, wall charger the device charges fine but will not power up / turn on
connected to car charger or wall charger the device charges fine,
after charging from either of the source's and the device removed from the charging device it will power up and work fine, im unable to restore or back up anything as im unable to connect to the pc, its had 2 brand new batteries fitted both held charge fine but didn't solve the problem, its had a new mini usb charging socket fitted and that didn't solve the problem,
Unless I have missed it, I don't see any indication that you have tried more than one USB cable when attempting to connect to your PC. Cable problems are much more common than I used to think, so I suggest that you see how things work for you if you use a cable that you have confirmed works well when connecting another device to your PC.

- Tom -

Ask a Question