Tom Tom Power Connectin/Battery Issue

Hello.
I have had my TomTom 720 for about 11 months now. After about a month, the battery stopped holding a charge. This did not really affect me, because I would just plug it into the cig lighter whenever I needed it. Anyhow, About a month ago, the connection to the power cord started getting a little funky. I would have to wiggle it to get the little green light to turn on. Now, the only way to get power is to put a zip tie on the gps to hold the power cord in place. If i hit a speed bump, the power cuts out and I have to wiggle it again to give it power and re-start the unit. Is there any way to fix this myself? I went to Best Buy and they cannot find my purchase record, due to it being a debit purchase (same as cash) and they only record credit transactions. So, tomtom won't fix my unit because I can't provide with proof of purchase. I received this as a gift from my wife last June for my birthday. Any ideas? Thanks

When you got your unit, did you take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee where you get the latest map within 30 days of first use? If so, then TomTom will have documentation of when you got the updated map and should be able to determine how old the unit is.......

In one of the various folders on your computer created when you first installed the Home software should be a file called birthday.txt (I think) that shows first use of the unit. While it's a text file that can be altered, the fact remains that, if I were you, I'd call support back and ask to speak to 2nd level support if the 1st level person won't help. Ask where you can find this file and let them know what info resides in it.

I did take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee, but tomtom stated that it was not a proof of purchase. I could have bought it 6 months before and only updated my maps last June. They need a solid proof of purchase and won't fix it without it.

The only thing I can think of is to contact the bank for which the debit card is associated with and see if they can help with providing transaction records for the month of purchase.

Hmm interesting. While its true what tomtom says, you COULD have purchased it 6 months prior it would have to be 5 months of it never being turned on. The 30 day map only works for 30 days after its first use.

Thats besides the point now anyway.

First off is it Tomtom or the charger? Does the computer charger have to be wiggled to operate properly? If not, get a new car charger...

If its the tomtom, using electronic cleaner on the device I would clean the connection. Examine it first to make sure there is no crap and stuff jammed into it. Use a flashlight and if you see something in there use something non conductive like a toothpick...

The way that connection works is its has a fat and skinny side. There is a plug in the middle. Toward the fat side is 5 contacts that make connection to the USB. That is what will need to be cleaned if its the problem. Fat side on the plug in the center :)

If it still does it while its clean. You are probably SOL unless you are handy enough to open it up, diag the problem and repair it. Its sounds like some sort of mechanical fault. Somethings is physically damaged. It may require epoxy to fix it may require a soldering repair.

I cant believe Best Buy cant find a record of your purchase. I've bought things with cash and they were able to rescan it, tell it was from that store, and when it was sold.

Last edited:
my wife is going to try going to bank of america and get the last year's JUNE records to see if there's any transaction history of the purchase. Hopefully that works. I'm running out of time because the purchase was made the first week of june. anybody know any gps repair places that have good credibility? It was a $400 gps at the time of purchase. I don't want to just scrap it because it is not working properly.
Anybody hotwire a gps to their car to keep it on whenever you're driving? my power outlet turns off when the car is turned off. If i could do that and wire it directly to the car's power, this issue wouldn't be a problem anymore

I assume repair labor will cost more than a refurb 720 on radioshack/newegg/tiger direct. Sells for $150.

Reburbs carry a 6 month warranty from Tomtom.

I wasn't sure if this was answered or not, so I'll ask again... Is the charger going bad or the connector on the unit itself? If it's just the charger going bad, they're a standard USB charger. A replacement can be had at any place that sells cell phone chargers. I bought one for my GO720 for under US$10.00.

The charger itself works fine. The GPS unit does not get a good connection and the charging plug has to be wiggled to get the green light to turn on.

The website recommended charges more to fix the unit than it costs to buy a used on off ebay.

does anyone know if it can just be hotwired to my car's audio power source?

I don't believe the 720 has any other power input than the USB. Hotwiring would involve disassembling it and wiring a voltage directly to where the USB port is attached to the main board.

If you have the technical skills to do that (I don't) then it would appear just as easy to rewire a new USB port.

Have you tried wiping the internals of the port with a tiny cloth/paper that was wet with rubbing alcohol? That trick used to do a good job in cleaning game connections in my old Nintendo.

JUST so we're all clear here ...

The TomTom uses FIVE volts DC from the USB cig plug adapter or another USB source. The vehicle operates at 12VDC (actually, more on the order of 14VDC in practice). In order to "hot wire" a TomTom directly to the car's power, bypassing the use of a cigarette lighter adapter, you would need to find an alternative 12V to 5V regulator of some sort. Hooking your TomTom directly to car power will fry it good and proper.

While I know from personal experience how to build (or buy) a reasonably efficient 12V to 5V DC to DC converter, I haven't seen anything this specific (mini-B USB connection ready to go) for sale anywhere. What you'd want is a device that does the same job as the cigarette adapter does, only with wires instead of the plug. Again, I haven't seen one of these for sale which implies having to build one.

One could in theory (ugly) solder wires to the tip and side ground of the cigarette lighter adapter, tape the heck out of it, and take those wires to the +12 and ground somewhere behind the dash (including the power source for the audio, if that's where you want to obtain it). Not pretty, but yes, possible.

power connection

You could purchase the plug in 12v to 5v lighter adapter as mentioned as well as the mating socket (with wires attached) that mates with the lighter plug. Then you just connect the wires to the 12v. It would cost a couple of bucks for the socket but would be neater and simpler.

A google search of - lighter plug female - will show some suppliers and one for $2.85

Ask a Question