Possable Virus in TT Home Software

Hi all,
Im new to the forum and hope this hasnt been covered before.
When I download the latest version of TT Home, my StopZilla spyware tells me that it detected VXGame.C
This happened with the last version also but I installed it anyway and then did a complete system scan and Stopzilla removed it from my computer. When I contacted TT, they were no help at all...mater of fact a plumber would have been more help;) Any ideas folks?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

This would be very unusual to get a virus in a download from TomTom. But, I guess it's possible.

It's probably a 'false positive' - where the file is really harmless. If you still have the file (virus chest or somewhere it can't run), you can upload it to one of the free scanners available to see if the file is in fact infected.

Here are two good ones that use up to 25 different AV's to scan the file.

VirusTotal - FREE upload test
http://www.virustotal.com/

Jotti's Malware
http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Just be aware that these services can get busy and you may have to come back later to try.

I agree that it's probably a false positive. One concern here is that if your virus scanner cleaned or otherwise corrected the problem, files necessary for proper operation of the Home software may now be missing or modified. I wouldn't worry about it unless and until you see something not working right, but it's something to keep in mind.

If you've used Home for any length of time prior to this, you'll know that there are already plenty of things that aren't working right, so maybe this won't really be an indication of anything.

You said that "Stopzilla spyware: caught the VXgame.c downloader. It can be picked up as a trojan but I agree with the others it's probably a false positive. I run Norton and other spyware/malware software, none of them picked up a problem on either of the computers I installed TThome on.

Thanks folks.......I agree that StopZilla had a false positive!
I ran the software thru virustotal.com and it checked out ok except for prevxl which thought it was "malicious software", all the other virus checkers were fine with it. The only problem is that when Stopzilla does its weekly scan, it flags it and its in many different folders all associated with TT Home.
BTW.....I have the TT 920 and so far so good with a few exceptions. And yes, TT Home is buggy.....Ill post some problems I have with it later. I use XP home. Thanks again folks........more to come later.......:)
Bill

Thanks folks.......I agree that StopZilla had a false positive!
I ran the software thru virustotal.com and it checked out ok except for prevxl which thought it was "malicious software", all the other virus checkers were fine with it. The only problem is that when Stopzilla does its weekly scan, it flags it and its in many different folders all associated with TT Home.
BTW.....I have the TT 920 and so far so good with a few exceptions. And yes, TT Home is buggy.....Ill post some problems I have with it later. I use XP home. Thanks again folks........more to come later.......:)
Bill

If you haven't checked this already, most spyware checkers and virus checkers have an exception list, designed to deal with false positives so that you don't have to.

Ask a Question