Detected Virus when Backing up 910

Well I just received a replacement unit after my original 910's battery died (2 weeks without Tom left me feeling lonely!). I plugged the new 910 into my computer and started to backup the GPS. Well after about 3 minutes my virus detection software (AVG7.5 - which I love) detected a trojan in the COPY.EXE program on the 910's disk!

A call to TomTom support revealed that this has happened before (??? they have a virus problem?? root-kits??) the tech would not explain further but did offer to get me a free shipping label to send the unit back. I asked for a cross ship and the answer was a definative NO!

At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they would call me back (hopefully within a couple of day!). I was hoping that TomTom support would point me at a new software build that I could download but that doesnt seem to be an option.

Doesn't seem that the support organization really has the concept of Customer Care down yet :(

Between cartography errors, the battery failure, mounts falling apart and now Viruses in their software I am beginning to think I made a mistake in choosing TomTom.

S

Well I just received a replacement unit after my original 910's battery died (2 weeks without Tom left me feeling lonely!). I plugged the new 910 into my computer and started to backup the GPS. Well after about 3 minutes my virus detection software (AVG7.5 - which I love) detected a trojan in the COPY.EXE program on the 910's disk!

A call to TomTom support revealed that this has happened before (??? they have a virus problem?? root-kits??) the tech would not explain further but did offer to get me a free shipping label to send the unit back. I asked for a cross ship and the answer was a definative NO!

At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they would call me back (hopefully within a couple of day!). I was hoping that TomTom support would point me at a new software build that I could download but that doesnt seem to be an option.

Doesn't seem that the support organization really has the concept of Customer Care down yet :(

Between cartography errors, the battery failure, mounts falling apart and now Viruses in their software I am beginning to think I made a mistake in choosing TomTom.

S

You should be able to connect your 910 to your computer and do a scan and remove it (the virus) yourself!!

Which I did, however it still doesn't bode well for TomTom to be shipping units that have been infected.

I agree but they also ship brand new units which do not work.. I have had my 510 for a year and two months. I am on my fourth unit because of exchanges.

When I called them with the same issue, they disavowed any knowledge of a virus! Its almost as if they didnt want to admit fault at all. I still havent been able to backup my 910... Its a bit disconcerting... kinda like mountain climbing without a rope.

"Don?t worry, the virus is free with purchase"

article in IT NEWS DIGEST this week... looks like TT has good company!

Don?t worry, the virus is free with purchase
Date: March 14th, 2008
Author: Tricia Liebert
Category: News, China, Anti-virus, Security, Bugs
Tags: Electronics, Virus, Cyberthreats, Viruses And Worms, Security, Tricia Liebert

Why bother to engage in risky behavior on the Web to infect your electronics when you can purchase products with viruses preinstalled?

From GPS navigational systems to iPods to digital picture frames, lately we have no way of knowing if the software that powers the device is as virus free as the rest of our computing systems.
So far, Tom-Tom GPS, Apple, Target, and Best Buy have been hit by what appears to be a laxity in quality control on the part of Chinese factories. It would seem that electronics have found their ?lead paint? issues.

It is believed that the issue is not one of any organized effort to introduce the virus, but there is no certain way to know that. If a virus is introduced at an early stage of production when software is uploaded to the gadget, the problems could be more serious and more widespread.

I am fed up with TT no respect for the customer so if any one wants to take mine so i can get a better unit its yours!!!

TT is a joke they always seem to have an excuse for every problem.

Linux Rant

This thread has already been dug up, and since I was not a member then I will give my 2 cents now.

1st, shame on TomTom for shipping units with a virus preinstalled.
2nd, shame on you for using Winblows.

Linux is a viable desktop operating system for most of the population. Do not confuse familiararity with ease of use. Windows is *not* easy to use. I have been using linux as a desktop OS since late 2002. If you have ever swtiched from Winblow$ to Mac or vice versa, you could make the switch to linux. Linux IS easy to use and not susceptable to 99.9% of viruses. Linux will run on your newest computer and also make that old PII 300 mhz box you have been using as a doorstop a completely usable and secure computer again.

Linux can run from a CD is you want to try without installing. This will not harm your Windows install or your data. You can find two popular and easy to use linux distrobutions here,
http://www.mepis.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I hope you give linux a try. Have fun.

Except of course that the virus issue they're complaining about WAS loaded to the linux OS.

Obviously an infected Windows computer was used along the line at TomTom when these units where manufactured. The viruses are .exe files. These are windows extensions, and this is a windows virus.

But it still infected the linux OS. My point was linux is not any more immune to a virus than windows. Linux (and Mac for that matter) is just not targeted as often . . . yet.

You are not getting it, and I am not arguing the point anymore. Keep using windows, getting your viruses, running a spam bot, serving files for some hacker, and thinking you are as safe as someone running Linux or a Mac.

Except of course that the virus issue they're complaining about WAS loaded to the linux OS.

"TOUCHE"

Not to mention false positives.

And if anyone's wanting to part with their :) "JUNK":) TomTom's , please PM me......... i'll take'um all !!!!!

Ask a Question