TomTom XL 340S not detected

I've tried everything when connecting it to my computer. I plugged it in nearly every USB port, reset it twice, restarted my computer twice, checked my Device Manager twice, My Computer as well.
Everything TomTom support says I've done. I called them about it and no luck.
It does not show up in My Computer, the Device Manager, and the TomTom doesn't display a message about connecting to the computer.
It shows that the TomTom is charging when connected, but nothing more. No new device found message or anything.
He suggested using other computers to connect to it, but both my laptop and my mother's are running Windows 7, which he says TomTom is incompatible with. Neither showed TomTom as detected either.
The computer I tried to connect it to was HP Pavilion a6200n running Vista SP2. The TomTom Home version is 2.7.3.1894.
Please help me, I don't want to have to tell my mom she has to get it exchanged through Amazon and be GPS-less for a few weeks.

Which TomTom device have you got as I have seen this sort of thing before with some early release TomTom One units, a certain file on the device that Home uses to recognise that its connected to a PC is wrong and the device refuses to connect. Avoid Windows 7 at the moment as that won't work - MIke

Oh apologies, it's Tomtom XL 340-S, bought off Amazon.
Also, wouldn't the Tomtom be detected as a connected device on Windows 7? Not just charging?

I haven't tried Windows 7 as yet but from what I have read on various forums the TomTom Home application crashes the PC when loaded with Windows 7 so it won't even get close to connecting to the device.

As for my other idea about the wrong file loaded to the tomtom that won't be the case here as your device is too new for that problem to be applicable, if its a newly purchased device then I suggest you get it exchanged - Mike

Ask a Question