TomTom 520 not detected on mac book pro anymore ...

TomTom Model(s)
Hi

Not sure whats changed, think it may be newer versions of TTH, but my tom tom wont detect on the mac book pro anymore.

I even downloaded my tomtom and same results. The device goes into computer mode, but the Laptop never sees anything. MTT and TTH report no device connected.

I have tried resetting, connecting before power up, connecting after power up, and both starting the software before and after the previous options.

Any help appreciated,

TomTom 520

You need Home 2, not MyTomTom with that device.

Are you using the cable that came with the device?

Hi

I have used both application, including Home2.

I am using the cable supplied as well as a third party cable, same results each time, ie nothing.

Again, do not use MyTomTom, only Home 2 from tomtom.com/home and make sure you install the Mac version.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the application.

Anything here help?

Home not recognising device

(especially the third section "Device not recognised by computer Your device does not appear in My Computer (Windows) or on the desktop (Macintosh)").

Hi I have been through all that, and no it doesnt appear on the desktop for Mac.

Just refuses to be recognised. All other USB devices function as expected, so its not a fault of the laptop.

I am on the latest updates of lion, I have reset the device by holding the pin in for more than 20 seconds. There isnt any more advice on there thats helpful. So completly lost on this one ...

Thanks for the replies though, any other suggestions ?

Find a PC, any PC other than your own, and take the cable and unit and see if your unit is recognized as an external storage device on any other PC. If it fails elsewhere as well, that will at least keep you from pulling your hair out trying to find a solution on your particular machine, and narrows it down to the unit/cable combination.

Hi I have been through all that, and no it doesnt appear on the desktop for Mac.

Just refuses to be recognised. All other USB devices function as expected, so its not a fault of the laptop.

I am on the latest updates of lion, I have reset the device by holding the pin in for more than 20 seconds. There isnt any more advice on there thats helpful. So completly lost on this one ...

Thanks for the replies though, any other suggestions ?
I am not familiar with the Mac, so all I can suggest is a brute force approach.

On the chance that your cable has been damaged, get another cable and see if you can connect your GPS to your Mac with that cable.

If you have any friends or family with a TomTom, attempt to connect that unit to your computer. If you succeed, the probable cause is with your GPS, but if you fail, then look for something unusual with your Mac.

If you have any friends or family with a Windows-based computer, attempt to connect your GPS to that computer. If that succeeds, then you may have an issue with the operating system of your Mac. I remember hearing on some of the Photography forums that such compatibility issues occurred a couple of years ago when Apple came out with an OS upgrade, so it can happen.

Finally, sit down and see if you can write out a list of everything that has changed on either your Mac or your GPS since the last time you know that you were successful in connecting the TomTom to your Mac. Typical things to think about include:

(1) Have you updated the software on your TomTom?

(2) Have you updated the map on your TomTom?

(3) Have you changed the cable?

(4) Have you dropped the TomTom or yanked on its cable?

(5) Have you updated the operating system on your Mac?

(6) Have you updated any software on your Mac, especially firewall or anti-virus software?

(7) Have you added any hardware to your Mac?

The above is not a sophisticated approach to solving your problem, but such tactics can often isolate the cause of computer issues.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question