An error detected on this drive

TomTom Model(s)
One XL 340
First lemme start out with the fact that I'm fairly computer/electronic saavy. When I connect my TomTom ONE XL 340, Windows always gives me the error message that there is something 'wrong' with my drive and do I want to scan and continue or just continue. I always click continue, without scanning. If I try to scan my device, is Windows going to f it up? I know when I do that with my flash drive, the file windows finds 'corrupted' or 'broke' is no longer usable. I'd hate for Windows to basically disable one of my important TT files, rendering it a brick. Just wondering if this is a common problem or anything. I assume I could make a full backup, scan and then restore, but that seems like it would be a bit time consuming, considering it doesn't effect the usage of my device now. It seems like it should be ok to do, since it's a FAT32 file system. But never assume anything.

Oh yeah. Do these things come with any factory warranty? Trying to find that out is like a riddle! I'd love to register mine online. I was able to register my Crockpot, but not my GPS. Seriously?

Also, for anyone who got a new device on xmas: It took me about 3 hours to download and install the latest map. Slower than death. However, as many USED to complain, I did not have to do anything to free up space beforehand. I heard on Amazon that a lot of people had to delete non-native voices, etc. I also bought Homer Simpson, and he's enjoyed driving me to work everyday.

Do an Explorer, not Home backup. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Then let Windows check the disk for errors. If it finds some. let it correct them, then reformat and restore the backup.

All new TomTom's come with a 1-year warranty.

Log into TomTom.com and create an account with an email address/password and associate your model with the account.

dhn: Thanks for the reply, I'll be registering my device later on their site...

Do you think it's a necessary exercise to go through? (Trying to find and 'fix' the problem?) It seems like a lot of work, especially since the device functions fine. I know it's a 1.1 USB device, so a full backup takes... a .... while. Also, Windows likes to make a bigger issue out of disk 'problems' than it usually is worth the trouble. I spent two days wrestling with a flash USB drive trying to recover a file that had no problems, until Windows 'fixed' it. Thanks again!

If you think things are ok, then I guess you needn't do the scan.

Do make the Explorer backup and register the unit.

dhn:

"Log into TomTom.com and create an account with an email address/password and associate your model with the account."

I was able to log into TomTom.com and create an account with an email address/password. I was unable to see any option on how to associate my model with the account.

So after some research, I found this threadhttps://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-xl-xxl/10724-vista-error-scan-fix.html

I followed the link in the thread to the external site, followed the instructions, and it worked like a charm. Windows thinks one of the files is partial file. Anyway, fixed. If you were to scan (like windows wants to do) you would probably render the GPS not working.

Ha ...I did click "scan&fix" my tt xl340s .......
After a short scan ....it came back OK ....never seen it again...>still working fine ....
Lucky......?

Oh yeah. Do these things come with any factory warranty? Trying to find that out is like a riddle! I'd love to register mine online. I was able to register my Crockpot, but not my GPS. Seriously?

Yes, the warranty is one year. Keep your proof of purchase as they'll ask for it if you need warranty repair.

Also, for anyone who got a new device on xmas: It took me about 3 hours to download and install the latest map. Slower than death. However, as many USED to complain, I did not have to do anything to free up space beforehand. I heard on Amazon that a lot of people had to delete non-native voices, etc. I also bought Homer Simpson, and he's enjoyed driving me to work everyday.

It appears you bought the non-TTS XL 340? Not the TTS-capable XL340S? The foreign voice issue was only on the TTS 340S. Those TTS voices are so large.

Ask a Question