Protecting Tom Tom 930 against computer viruses ?

TomTom Model(s)
930T
How do you guys protect your Tom Tom 930 against computer viruses and trojans ?

Since a gps has hard drive and sd card and you using usb to connect to your computer, it is susceptible to them.

Are there any specfic program for checking besides the usual Anti-virus programs out there or anyway to secure your gps so it won't get infected ?

Do the programs inside the gps ever get infected and don't work ?
And what happens if you do get infected ?

Thanks

Zhong

It runs Linux so its not as prone to virus issues like the MicroSoft based products, as long as you PC is protected I wouldn't bother taking any special precautions for the PND - Mike

A non issue, zhong.

Many years ago, TomTom DID provide an application (I think) that did have a virus in it. But that was the only way. There really is nothing to worry about. Do you worry about protecting your thumb drives? Your digital cameras when ul photos?? Same thing.

I presume you do run an Anti-virus on your computer, right? That should take care of any concerns......

(gosh, I hope I'm NOT proven wrong in what I've said :eek: )

There was a file loaded to some 910 Hard Drives that when shipped as new devices some AV software was detecting it as a virus, whether it was or not I am not too sure but as long as the PC has some protection it will be fine - Mike

Thanks for all who replied.

I suppose iit doesn't hurt to scan the gps hard drive and sd card for viruses or trojans with Antivirus software. ?

Thanks

Zhong

Since I recently had a TR/Rootkit.gen infection on my computer, I am worried, even though I have anitvirus
program scanned my computer system already saying that I don't have any.
So it is still safe to plugin my gps using usb ?
Since i plugin to more then one computer I am afraid it might spread around to other computers.

Thanks

Zhong

Thanks

Zhong

A non issue, zhong.

Many years ago, TomTom DID provide an application (I think) that did have a virus in it. But that was the only way. There really is nothing to worry about. Do you worry about protecting your thumb drives? Your digital cameras when ul photos?? Same thing.

I presume you do run an Anti-virus on your computer, right? That should take care of any concerns......

(gosh, I hope I'm NOT proven wrong in what I've said :eek: )

Last edited:
If you have access to a 'clean' computer, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Then if you do get a virus on your 'normal' computer, you can reformat the internal flash on the TomTom and use Explorer to restore your backup.

But as Mike has advised, you really shouldn't be concerned.

Since I recently had a TR/Rootkit.gen infection on my computer, I am worried, even though I have anitvirus
program scanned my computer system already saying that I don't have any.
So it is still safe to plugin my gps using usb ?
Since i plugin to more then one computer I am afraid it might spread around to other computers.

The virus won't hurt the Tomtom as it's linux with a hidden boot record. It would take some dedicated hacker with Tomtom-specific skills to load a Tomtom-damaging virus. The Tomtom can't read/execute a windows virus, but the Tomtom could be a carrier to another windows computer.

If your 100% sure you killed the rootkit then your only risk of transferring the virus is if there's a virus injected into the autorun or installtomtomhome files on the Tomtom.

You need to be sure your rootkit is gone or else you may not "see" a virus that is present on the Tomtom.

Once the rootkitis gone:

Find a backup from before your rootkit and restore the following to the Tomtom:
- autorun.inf
- tomtom.ico
- installtomtomhome.exe

Or you could just delete the above 3 files. They only serve to install Tomtom HOME, and to show the Tomtom icon in "my computer".

Ask a Question