POI's on SD card?

I understand your hestitation at running the Clear Flash tool, Joey, but its designed purpose is, among others, to remedy situations such as this when the sd card isn't being read properly.

Anyway, keep us informed as to what happens; it's a way I learn more about the device & its workings.
No question that Joey's problem is related to the inability of the 720 to correctly interpret the contents of the SD card, even though it's not one of the larger ones.

I take it that their "Clear Flash" tool is actually designed for format the SD card in a manner that will make the directory structure acceptable to the 720? I'd understand that, since there's no provision for card formatting in the 720 itself -- an oddity. Every camera I've ever seen has the ability to do that. Several times I've had reason to allow a camera to reformat an SD card to its own standards.

If that is the function of that application, I'd agree that it makes very good sense to apply it to this problem. As long as the internal memory has been backed up with TTHome, there should be no chance of getting into a non-functioning state.

No question that Joey's problem is related to the inability of the 720 to correctly interpret the contents of the SD card, even though it's not one of the larger ones.

I take it that their "Clear Flash" tool is actually designed for format the SD card in a manner that will make the directory structure acceptable to the 720? I'd understand that, since there's no provision for card formatting in the 720 itself -- an oddity. Every camera I've ever seen has the ability to do that. Several times I've had reason to allow a camera to reformat an SD card to its own standards.

If that is the function of that application, I'd agree that it makes very good sense to apply it to this problem. As long as the internal memory has been backed up with TTHome, there should be no chance of getting into a non-functioning state.

I 'think' what is does is NOT format the card but rather, fix the units ability to read the contents of the card properly.

Here's a link on TT's site:
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4

I read interest the problems that this little application was designed to manage. In running it, it does not seem to tweak the 720's firmware in any way. Makes me continue to suspect it is fiddling something on the SD card. Of special interest, the fact that certain settings (esp Bluetooth PIN and map authentication codes) are what are being discussed. Nothing about things missing from the SD card altogether. Guess all we can do is wait and see if it makes life better for Joey or not!

Eureka European maps loaded on SD

I understand your hestitation at running the Clear Flash tool, Joey, but its designed purpose is, among others, to remedy situations such as this when the sd card isn't being read properly.

Anyway, keep us informed as to what happens; it's a way I learn more about the device & its workings.

Following advice offered on this forum, I called TomTom. They were able to fix my map problem. They had me do the following.

1. reformat the SD card
2. Delete the Download folder and all the maps in it in the PC/Home folder (this deleted my european, north American, and Guam folders)
3. Put the SD into that TomTom, connect to the computer and update from Home. They had me do this because we noticed that when I updated before deleting the download folder, the only things that were showing up in the update panel were voices, and the maps should have been there.
4. This was successful, the maps showed up on my update page after I deleted the download folder from my PC/Home. They downloaded along with my selected voices, phone setup, and GPSFix file. All went to the SD location that I had selected when I started HOME
5. The maps work!
6. I backed up the TT

thanks for all the help here, and btw, phone help from TT was EXCELLENT.

Joey

Following advice offered on this forum, I called TomTom. They were able to fix my map problem. They had me do the following.

1. reformat the SD card
2. Delete the Download folder and all the maps in it in the PC/Home folder (this deleted my european, north American, and Guam folders)
3. Put the SD into that TomTom, connect to the computer and update from Home. They had me do this because we noticed that when I updated before deleting the download folder, the only things that were showing up in the update panel were voices, and the maps should have been there.
4. This was successful, the maps showed up on my update page after I deleted the download folder from my PC/Home. They downloaded along with my selected voices, phone setup, and GPSFix file. All went to the SD location that I had selected when I started HOME
5. The maps work!
6. I backed up the TT

thanks for all the help here, and btw, phone help from TT was EXCELLENT.

Joey

Good stuff! I remember having to delete everything from the Download folder for an issue I had once. Sort of the 'last resort' type of fix. Thanks for reporting back...

1. reformat the SD card
Is that what the Clear Flash program was about after all?

Apart from the long waits, my experience with TT phone support has been very good as well. I'd advise anyone with a problem to make a call. The email support seems to be nil.

Glad to hear you are up and running!

no flash

Is that what the Clear Flash program was about after all?

Apart from the long waits, my experience with TT phone support has been very good as well. I'd advise anyone with a problem to make a call. The email support seems to be nil.

Glad to hear you are up and running!

I never used the flash tool, just reformated the SD on the PC.
j

I never used the flash tool, just reformated the SD on the PC.
j
Cool. Same concept. Get the directory structure to some known state.

You really had us wondering out here for a while!

Quick question. I want to put all of my POIs on my SD card in order to free up space. I cut and pasted the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files to the SD card and put them in a North_America_2GB folder on the SD card, but it is not being recognized. The 720 is not reading the SD card. How do I make the 720 read the SD card?

Thanks.

Okay, I have a 920.

The SD card can be used to complement the internal memory.

As long as you create the correct folder structure on the SD card, the 920 (and probably the 720) will use the data just as if it were loaded into the TT without any card.

So, to add POI files for any particular MAP, create an identical FOLDER on the SD card that matches the name and UPPER/lower case letters of the INTERNAL folder. The copy the *.ov2 and *.bmp files. You do NOT need to copy the actual maps.

Similarly, I made an "itn" folder on the SD card and copied Itineraries there.

And the same for mp3 and photos.

You do NOT need the entire TT application copied to the SD card on the 920.

How do you tell the 720 to look on the SD card? I removed all of my POIs to an SD card, but the 720 will not look at the SD card.

Thanks. :)

How do you tell the 720 to look on the SD card? I removed all of my POIs to an SD card, but the 720 will not look at the SD card.

Thanks. :)
My experience so far is that all POI information MUST reside in the same folder with the map files with which they are associated -- no exceptions. But you say your NA map is over there on the SD card --- but --- You didn't leave the original NA map over on your internal storage too, did you? If so, the 720 is still looking there for your entire NA set, POIs included.

My experience so far is that all POI information MUST reside in the same folder with the map files with which they are associated -- no exceptions. But you say your NA map is over there on the SD card --- but --- You didn't leave the original NA map over on your internal storage too, did you? If so, the 720 is still looking there for your entire NA set, POIs included.

I left my NA map on the 720, and copied the POI.dat file to the SD card. I placed the PIO.dat file in a folder with a name identical to the folder the map is in on the 720.

I guess I can buy a 4GB SD card and put everything on the card. It sucks to waste 2GB on the 720 itself, though.

I left my NA map on the 720, and copied the POI.dat file to the SD card. I placed the PIO.dat file in a folder with a name identical to the folder the map is in on the 720.

I guess I can buy a 4GB SD card and put everything on the card. It sucks to waste 2GB on the 720 itself, though.

you could then use the internal memory for: mp3's, photos, a smaller map. Remember, the 720 allows the firmware to be on internal memory, maps on internal memory OR sd cards and, as pointed out to you, poi.dat files must reside in the appropriate map file, regardless of whether you've chosen to have the map folder reside on internal memory or a sd card.

Because the x20 models use the sd memory AS AN ADDITION to internal memory, it'll be like having 6 gigs of memory ..... so, not a waste.

Okay, I'm really frustrated. I just bought a 4GB SD card, I cut the entire NA folder from the 720 and pasted it on the SD card. The 720 still refuses to look at the SD card, and the only map that loads on the 720 is Guam.

Do I need to officially "install" the map through Home somehow?

Thank you.

Okay, I'm really frustrated. I just bought a 4GB SD card, I cut the entire NA folder from the 720 and pasted it on the SD card. The 720 still refuses to look at the SD card, and the only map that loads on the 720 is Guam.

Do I need to officially "install" the map through Home somehow?

Thank you.

So, I presume the NA map is in a folder called map which resides in your download folder on our computer.....

If so, using Explorer or some other file manager, remove the NA map folder from your sd card.

Then, with the sd card installed in your unit and the unit on and docked to the cpu, run TTHome.

In the menu option of TTH, go Device-->Change Installed Device and select the sd card.

Now, in TTHome select 'Add Maps/Traffic/Voices'. you should see listed the NA map on your hard drive. TTHome should show its location as 'computer'. Select it and choose install.

Here's an odd question... My XL-S has the USA & Canada maps... But when I go into the add maps in TTHome, it doesn't show the map as being on my HD, only on my device. Now it's obvious that it just looks in the download folder on your computer to see what you actually have downloaded (and since it came on the device, I didn't download it so it's not in the download folder) - how does one add the USA & Can map to the download folder, so TTHome knows you have it on your PC?
I realize that your backup has the map file, but it also backs up all your voices and stuff too - so why not show the maps as well?

Here's an odd question... My XL-S has the USA & Canada maps... But when I go into the add maps in TTHome, it doesn't show the map as being on my HD, only on my device. Now it's obvious that it just looks in the download folder on your computer to see what you actually have downloaded (and since it came on the device, I didn't download it so it's not in the download folder) - how does one add the USA & Can map to the download folder, so TTHome knows you have it on your PC?
I realize that your backup has the map file, but it also backs up all your voices and stuff too - so why not show the maps as well?

Well, you could try this:

In your download folder, create a folder called 'map' (no quotes). Now, using Explorer, copy your USA & Canada folder (entire folder, not just the contents) to the map folder.

The hierarchy on your computer should now be documents/ .... /download/map/USA & Canada/and the contents .

Now, in TTHome, what does it show for 'Add Maps/Traffic/etc.'? Does it list your map with the location of computer?

Home knows

Well, you could try this:

In your download folder, create a folder called 'map' (no quotes). Now, using Explorer, copy your USA & Canada folder (entire folder, not just the contents) to the map folder.

The hierarchy on your computer should now be documents/ .... /download/map/USA & Canada/and the contents .

Now, in TTHome, what does it show for 'Add Maps/Traffic/etc.'? Does it list your map with the location of computer?

I will be interested to see what such copying causes. With my 720 maps, TT support instructed me to delete the download folder, but HOME still knew that I owned the European maps because they showed up on the selection list when I updated the TT. Could it be that Home and TT work together to give you activated access to maps that you own only through them via some activation protocol? Otherwise, if the maps were not on my computer, where were they downloaded from? Why did only the European maps show up as an update selection option, the NA maps should also have been there, since I own them, but they were never offered by the SD update. I don't think you can always just copy maps, but, rather, they have to be installed, even into the download folder??? I have no idea, actually, I am just wondering where the maps came from if not from my download folder and why update only offered the European maps?? After the update, I have the european maps back in my download file ( that I had deleted), but the NA maps are gone. I am sure this will give a programer a good laugh.
Joey

Ask a Question