POI's on SD card?

I did use the Home install. The Home install tells me that the maps are installed, but they are not. I have also noticed that when I added MP3 files to the SD card, they are not showing up on the TT. However, when I look on the SD, they are there. It does not look to me like HOME is moving files like it is supposed to. I wonder what would happen if I move the cab file to the TT, like loading a file on my smartphone.

joey
Shouldn't necessary to move the *.cab file. That should be fine residing on your PC. The *.cab should be getting unpacked and the contents sent as necessary to the 720.

If I have folders called "MP3" (the 720 won't find the MP3's without the folder wrapper) on both my 720 and on the SD card, it finds the songs in both folders when I do the "Media" selection. I'm only using a 2MB card at the moment, but I'd not heard of any problems about the 720 reading from larger cards, just writing to them.

Last edited:
I did use the Home install. The Home install tells me that the maps are installed, but they are not. I have also noticed that when I added MP3 files to the SD card, they are not showing up on the TT. However, when I look on the SD, they are there. It does not look to me like HOME is moving files like it is supposed to. I wonder what would happen if I move the cab file to the TT, like loading a file on my smartphone.

joey

Joey........have you tried a soft reset (using a paper clip in the reset hole on the unit's base for 5 - 10 seconds)?

Absolutely works, Pedro. I have my European maps and "spare" voices over on my 2GB SD card, and when I use "Manage Maps" and "Switch Maps", my 720 knows that the NA maps are in internal memory and that the Euro maps are on the SD card. It appears that the combination of both internal and SD memory is now properly "mapped" (bad pun) in the x20 units.

Thank you very much for letting me know!

resets

Joey........have you tried a soft reset (using a paper clip in the reset hole on the unit's base for 5 - 10 seconds)?

Thank you, on your suggestion I did that.....no change. When I load the maps using Home, I get a messege in 10 seconds that they have loaded but they do not.

joey

Thank you, on your suggestion I did that.....no change. When I load the maps using Home, I get a messege in 10 seconds that they have loaded but they do not.

joey
Guess we need to see this from your side.

Can you give us a snapshot of what you find in your TomTom Home "Download" folder.

Then can you give us a snapshot of what folders exist on your SD card, and if any of them appear to be a map folder, the specific contents of that folder?

Also -- I have lost track (and can't read backward while replying) -- what size memory card are you using again? I'm sure that somewhere in all of this we've remembered to provide warnings about trying to use the 720 to write to most SDHC cards, but ...

Guess we need to see this from your side.

Can you give us a snapshot of what you find in your TomTom Home "Download" folder.

Then can you give us a snapshot of what folders exist on your SD card, and if any of them appear to be a map folder, the specific contents of that folder?

Also -- I have lost track (and can't read backward while replying) -- what size memory card are you using again? I'm sure that somewhere in all of this we've remembered to provide warnings about trying to use the 720 to write to most SDHC cards, but ...

Ok, I will try. I have not uploaded files here before. I have a 2gb, not SDHC, sandisk. One of the files shows my Home download folder, the other shows the WesternEurope map folder open.
thx,
Joey

Attachments

• tomtom downloads.jpg
    tomtom downloads.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Western Europe Map.jpg
    Western Europe Map.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 260
Ok, I will try. I have not uploaded files here before. I have a 2gb, not SDHC, sandisk. One of the files shows my Home download folder, the other shows the WesternEurope map folder open.
thx,
Joey
Your uploads worked great. What you are showing in your TomTomHome download directory is exactly what should be there. So far so good. At least you have the right stuff to start out with (assuming it was your 720 that was plugged in when you downloaded it -- TomTom is a little brutal about unit serial numbers and key files!)

Now, if you could take a look over on your SD card (just use My Computer to review folders there -- don't even try to make sense of what TomTomHome does with this information). Need to know what the folders are there, and IF anything looks even remotely like it might be your Western European map folder, a shot of that as well.

Series of pictures to demonstrate maps

Your uploads worked great. What you are showing in your TomTomHome download directory is exactly what should be there. So far so good. At least you have the right stuff to start out with (assuming it was your 720 that was plugged in when you downloaded it -- TomTom is a little brutal about unit serial numbers and key files!)

Now, if you could take a look over on your SD card (just use My Computer to review folders there -- don't even try to make sense of what TomTomHome does with this information). Need to know what the folders are there, and IF anything looks even remotely like it might be your Western European map folder, a shot of that as well.

I have a series of pics to show what I mean
1. My SD card in the PC
2. Choosing which memory to access on the TT
3. Maps available on my PC
4. Maps show as loaded
5. Contents of SD after loading shows that nothing loaded, no memory change

How do I make these pics show as pics instead of files on this forum?

I hope this shows what I have said. The maps are on my computer but they will not load onto the TT. There is space on the TT and the TT thinks they have loaded.

what about the TT flash thing, will that help? But, won't it also mess up the internal memory?

Thanks for the help,
Joey

Attachments

• SD card in PC.jpg
    SD card in PC.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 239
  • opening the TT choosing memory.jpg
    opening the TT choosing memory.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 244
  • selectable maps.jpg
    selectable maps.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 294
  • map shows installed.jpg
    map shows installed.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 259
  • TT contents after adding map.jpg
    TT contents after adding map.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 238
another pic

I have a series of pics to show what I mean
1. My SD card in the PC
2. Choosing which memory to access on the TT
3. Maps available on my PC
4. Maps show as loaded
5. Contents of SD after loading shows that nothing loaded, no memory change

How do I make these pics show as pics instead of files on this forum?

I hope this shows what I have said. The maps are on my computer but they will not load onto the TT. There is space on the TT and the TT thinks they have loaded.

what about the TT flash thing, will that help? But, won't it also mess up the internal memory?

Thanks for the help,
Joey

Here is one more pic. This shows what the TT looks like after I manually add the maps to the SD card. TT does not see anything there but it sees that there is not enough memory to add the maps. That's is, help is appreciated.
joey

Attachments

• after mannually adding maps.jpg
    after mannually adding maps.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 285
Here is one more pic. This shows what the TT looks like after I manually add the maps to the SD card. TT does not see anything there but it sees that there is not enough memory to add the maps. That's is, help is appreciated.
joey
OK -- that view seems to indicate that the TomTom Home application is trying to add the map to your TT720 and NOT the SD card you have installed. I assume that you are hitting the "Select" to the right of the "Memory Card" line when TomTom Home comes up, and before you try to add the map, right? I ask only because it's clear that TomTom Home certainly appears to be aiming at your 720 and not your SD card. It clearly knows that there is still plenty of memory on the SD card for the map, even with a few MP3 files out there.

So either a) you're not hitting the right "Select" button before trying to load the map, or b) your 720 (or TTHome) is ignoring the fact that you ARE aiming at the SD card.

my tt is ignoring me for adding maps

OK -- that view seems to indicate that the TomTom Home application is trying to add the map to your TT720 and NOT the SD card you have installed. I assume that you are hitting the "Select" to the right of the "Memory Card" line when TomTom Home comes up, and before you try to add the map, right? I ask only because it's clear that TomTom Home certainly appears to be aiming at your 720 and not your SD card. It clearly knows that there is still plenty of memory on the SD card for the map, even with a few MP3 files out there.

So either a) you're not hitting the right "Select" button before trying to load the map, or b) your 720 (or TTHome) is ignoring the fact that you ARE aiming at the SD card.

It is ignoring me. Because as you said, I am choosing the SD card. Of course I have tried the internal memory too, and it said I needed to delete files before I could add anything. So, the TT has no problem loading onto the internal memory. I have a feeling that my European maps may be corrupted, and I will ask TT to let me download them again. I will call them, as you suggested because they are not responding to my emails.

Joey

It is ignoring me. Because as you said, I am choosing the SD card. Of course I have tried the internal memory too, and it said I needed to delete files before I could add anything. So, the TT has no problem loading onto the internal memory. I have a feeling that my European maps may be corrupted, and I will ask TT to let me download them again. I will call them, as you suggested because they are not responding to my emails.

Joey
Haven't ever had any luck with email, either.

You can resolve this problem another way...

Since your PC can see all that needs to be seen, using Windows Explorer, copy the entire NA map folder over to your SD card, and let TTHome install the European maps to your 720. The "Switch Maps" feature doesn't care where they are, and is just as happy to boot looking at one as the other. That configuration option is "sticky".

Since your PC can see all that needs to be seen, using Windows Explorer, copy the entire NA map folder over to your SD card, and let TTHome install the European maps to your 720. The "Switch Maps" feature doesn't care where they are, and is just as happy to boot looking at one as the other. That configuration option is "sticky".

Before doing that - BACKUP again, just to be sure!!!

copying with PC does not work

I have tried that. If I copy the map files to the SD card using the computer, HOME does not see anything on the SD card. Home recognizes the loss of memory on the SD card, but it shows no files on the card and the map does not show up on the TT switch maps feature.

I have actually tried many versions of that and copied different parts of the maps and not others. I thought the cab file would help if I copied it over, but it did not. Actully, the Home installation moves one small file to the TT contained in a folder called European Map. But, the big file does not move. The only thing I have not tried is to unzip the map on the SD card. THe reason I did not do that is because if I compare it to the NA map on the TT, it remains unziped.

Joey

I have tried that. If I copy the map files to the SD card using the computer, HOME does not see anything on the SD card. Home recognizes the loss of memory on the SD card, but it shows no files on the card and the map does not show up on the TT switch maps feature.

I have actually tried many versions of that and copied different parts of the maps and not others. I thought the cab file would help if I copied it over, but it did not. Actully, the Home installation moves one small file to the TT contained in a folder called European Map. But, the big file does not move. The only thing I have not tried is to unzip the map on the SD card. THe reason I did not do that is because if I compare it to the NA map on the TT, it remains unziped.

Joey

Maybe the SD card is incompatible with the 920. Not all brands work!

TopRam and Transcend are known to work.

THe reason I did not do that is because if I compare it to the NA map on the TT, it remains unziped.

Joey

Joey, I'm sorry......I think I've lost the train of thought as to what your existing situation is. Is it saying 'No maps found'?

BUT.........are you saying that the NA map is zipped on the unit or is unzipped (that is, all the files are extracted in the NA folder?)

Again, because of my confusion, I'll ask again....

Do you have on your computer in the download/maps/ folders:
1. A NA Map folder
2. A European Map folder?
3. A recent backup of your tomtom unit.

Is yes, to the above...........

Have you tried this:
1. Deleting EVERYTHING from your NA Map folder on your unit using TomTom Home's option to remove items from the unit? And any other map folder?
2. Going into your unit with Explorer and cleaning out the NA folder and any other map folder?
3. Deleting the mapsettings.cfg file from the unit
4. Doing BOTH a soft reset with the paper clip AND running the Clear Flash tool?
5. Inserting the sd card and making sure it's empty (using Explorer)
6. Running TTHome with the unit docked and on (hold down the on button for at least 5 seconds) and switching the Internal Device to the memory card?
7. Tried to reinstall on the card the NA map using TTHome (no other method will work to get a map installed in internal memory or on a sd card using firmware 7.221)?

Let us know, please.

delete the map?

Joey, I'm sorry......I think I've lost the train of thought as to what your existing situation is. Is it saying 'No maps found'?

BUT.........are you saying that the NA map is zipped on the unit or is unzipped (that is, all the files are extracted in the NA folder?)

Again, because of my confusion, I'll ask again....

Do you have on your computer in the download/maps/ folders:
1. A NA Map folder
2. A European Map folder?
3. A recent backup of your tomtom unit.

Is yes, to the above...........

Have you tried this:
1. Deleting EVERYTHING from your NA Map folder on your unit using TomTom Home's option to remove items from the unit? And any other map folder?
2. Going into your unit with Explorer and cleaning out the NA folder and any other map folder?
3. Deleting the mapsettings.cfg file from the unit
4. Doing BOTH a soft reset with the paper clip AND running the Clear Flash tool?
5. Inserting the sd card and making sure it's empty (using Explorer)
6. Running TTHome with the unit docked and on (hold down the on button for at least 5 seconds) and switching the Internal Device to the memory card?
7. Tried to reinstall on the card the NA map using TTHome (no other method will work to get a map installed in internal memory or on a sd card using firmware 7.221)?

Let us know, please.

I have done pretty much as you suggest, but I do not want to delete the NA map from internal memory, since that is the thing that is working properly, I don't want to screw that up. That is the reason I am hesitating to use the flash tool as well. Before I do that, I will have to speak to TT help and I will consider asking for my money back for the European maps if they will not work.
The problem is not the units internal memory, it is the TT inability to address the SD card. The SD card works, and the TT can 'see' that is is available and it can report the correct memory available on the card. It can also address a map that is stored on the SD card because I got it to work with the Guam map, but not the European map.

Joey
Joey

I understand your hestitation at running the Clear Flash tool, Joey, but its designed purpose is, among others, to remedy situations such as this when the sd card isn't being read properly.

Anyway, keep us informed as to what happens; it's a way I learn more about the device & its workings.

Ask a Question