POI's on SD card?

TomTom Model(s)
Hello everyone, I'm new to TomTom; used Nuvi's for a long time.

I have a question on the TomTom 920, I want to be able to put all my TomTom POI's that I have d/l (ov2 & bmp) on an SD card instead on putting them directly into the TomTom itself, is there anyway to accomplish that? I know on my Nuvi for the sd card they go into a folder called \garmin\poi

Or am I'm "stuck" with putting all of them into the North_America folder and wasting space on the TomTom unit itself?

Can I do something like that on the TomTom 920? :confused:

Thanks

Hello everyone, I'm new to TomTom; used Nuvi's for a long time.

I have a question on the TomTom 920, I want to be able to put all my TomTom POI's that I have d/l (ov2 & bmp) on an SD card instead on putting them directly into the TomTom itself, is there anyway to accomplish that? I know on my Nuvi for the sd card they go into a folder called \garmin\poi

Or am I'm "stuck" with putting all of them into the North_America folder and wasting space on the TomTom unit itself?

Can I do something like that on the TomTom 920? :confused:

Thanks

The answer is yes and no. Yes, you can simply copy the *.ov2, *.bmp files for you POIs into the map directory on your TomTom (most likely /USA_and_Canada).

HOWEVER, your SD card and the internal memory are not additive. You EITHER use the internal memory OR the SD card. When the SD card is put into the TomTom, your internal memory is ignored. This means you need to have everything on the SD card (Navcore7 operating system, maps, POIs, etc) for it to work.

HOWEVER, your SD card and the internal memory are not additive. You EITHER use the internal memory OR the SD card. When the SD card is put into the TomTom, your internal memory is ignored. This means you need to have everything on the SD card (Navcore7 operating system, maps, POIs, etc) for it to work.

Although this has been the case with all TomTom's up to the One series, I believe that it is no longer a restriction with the X20 series. I think it is possible for these units to access both the internal memory and the SD card at the same time. (Maps can be added without having to copy across the firmware.)

As I don't own an X20, perhaps someone with one can clarify if you have to put the POI's in a special folder, the same way as you do mp3 files.

picrthis, is this not mentioned anywhere in your manual?

Although this has been the case with all TomTom's up to the One series, I believe that it is no longer a restriction with the X20 series. I think it is possible for these units to access both the internal memory and the SD card at the same time. (Maps can be added without having to copy across the firmware.)

As I don't own an X20, perhaps someone with one can clarify if you have to put the POI's in a special folder, the same way as you do mp3 files.

picrthis, is this not mentioned anywhere in your manual?

Ahh, now that would be a good piece of info to know. Not familiar enough with the *20 series to know....anyone out there with this info?

I just looked through the manual again, and while it shows you how to create/manage POI's; nothing is mentioned if you can save them on your SD card and still have them work. btw the folder on the 920 is called North_America

Still hoping to find a solution, Thanks

You might find this link from another forum useful.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=62372

Basically, the SD card can't be used for extra POIs.

But I'm pretty sure that you can put an additional map on the card without adding the operating software. The unit will recognize maps on the internal memory and on the SD card at the same time.

Last edited:
FWIW, this was in an email I just received from TT customer support:

"If you decided to use an SD card for a map, then you would need to have an application there as well. If you have the map on the internal memory, you would have to have the application there as well."

(Not that I necessarily trust information from TT CSRs.)

FWIW, this was in an email I just received from TT customer support:

"If you decided to use an SD card for a map, then you would need to have an application there as well. If you have the map on the internal memory, you would have to have the application there as well."

(Not that I necessarily trust information from TT CSRs.)

It's not true. You can have just maps on the SD card. You can also have nothing on the internal memory and everything on the SD card.

wow, I haven't tried adding any maps to a SD card. well I guess I can place the Europe map on a SD card and see if it reads it alongside with my NA map.

Okay, I have a 920.

The SD card can be used to complement the internal memory.

As long as you create the correct folder structure on the SD card, the 920 (and probably the 720) will use the data just as if it were loaded into the TT without any card.

So, to add POI files for any particular MAP, create an identical FOLDER on the SD card that matches the name and UPPER/lower case letters of the INTERNAL folder. The copy the *.ov2 and *.bmp files. You do NOT need to copy the actual maps.

Similarly, I made an "itn" folder on the SD card and copied Itineraries there.

And the same for mp3 and photos.

You do NOT need the entire TT application copied to the SD card on the 920.

would this be the same for the ONE v2?

I would like to be able to free up some space on my sd card, right now everything is on the sd card only, can I delete the maps from the sd card and have it pickup from the internal ???

Maps on the SD

Okay, I have a 920.

The SD card can be used to complement the internal memory.

As long as you create the correct folder structure on the SD card, the 920 (and probably the 720) will use the data just as if it were loaded into the TT without any card.

You do NOT need the entire TT application copied to the SD card on the 920.

I hope you are correct, but I can not verify that. Try putting the Guam map and nothing else on the SD card and see if you can see it. When I boot my 720 with the sd card inserted (with Guam and all other files included), I can still see my NA maps that are only in internal memory, but I do not see the guam map. I want this to work because I want to add European maps (if tt ever makes them available)

In a related question. If you download a map from TT Home, how do you direct it to the SD card instead of the internal memory?

joey

wow, I haven't tried adding any maps to a SD card. well I guess I can place the Europe map on a SD card and see if it reads it alongside with my NA map.
Absolutely works, Pedro. I have my European maps and "spare" voices over on my 2GB SD card, and when I use "Manage Maps" and "Switch Maps", my 720 knows that the NA maps are in internal memory and that the Euro maps are on the SD card. It appears that the combination of both internal and SD memory is now properly "mapped" (bad pun) in the x20 units.

my sd maps don't

Absolutely works, Pedro. I have my European maps and "spare" voices over on my 2GB SD card, and when I use "Manage Maps" and "Switch Maps", my 720 knows that the NA maps are in internal memory and that the Euro maps are on the SD card. It appears that the combination of both internal and SD memory is now properly "mapped" (bad pun) in the x20 units.

Then I need to know what you did because they do not work for me. Did you copy the maps using Home of just your pc? WHen I put the SD card into its slot, with the TT on, it turns off and back on, I think it boots itself. I am going to try as you suggest and take everything off of the SD card except for the map and see what happens. My Guam map was a zip file, which I extracted on the SD card, then deleted the zip. I hope this works because I want the European maps .

Thx,
Joey

Then I need to know what you did because they do not work for me. Did you copy the maps using Home of just your pc? WHen I put the SD card into its slot, with the TT on, it turns off and back on, I think it boots itself. I am going to try as you suggest and take everything off of the SD card except for the map and see what happens. My Guam map was a zip file, which I extracted on the SD card, then deleted the zip. I hope this works because I want the European maps .

Thx,
Joey

That may be the problem, Joey.....unzipping the map and manually copying contents to the sd. At least, that method didn't work for me when I was trying to shove the NA 7.10 map onto the unit.

I believe you connect the unit to your computer with the sd card installed, start up TomTom home, in the menu option of Home go Device-->Change Installed Device-->pick the sd card and then go Add Maps.

It should find the map in the download folder (or in whatever location you changed it to in TomTom Home) and install it.

My feeling is that the installation process generates the mapsettings.cfg file which the unit needs to 'see' the map; I don't believe that simply extracting the map from the zip will create that file.

On the other hand, I may be completely wrong ... often am :D

There is something to be aware of when putting the OS on the internal memory and maps on the sd card. When Home opens it asks you to choose which memory to look at. If you choose internal and your maps are on the sd card, then no mapshare updates will be seen and downloaded. I ran into that, and then just decided to use a 4 GB sd card for both OS and maps. I'll use the internal memory for mp3, audiobooks, ect.

help on maps from TOMTOM

That may be the problem, Joey.....unzipping the map and manually copying contents to the sd. At least, that method didn't work for me when I was trying to shove the NA 7.10 map onto the unit.

I believe you connect the unit to your computer with the sd card installed, start up TomTom home, in the menu option of Home go Device-->Change Installed Device-->pick the sd card and then go Add Maps.

It should find the map in the download folder (or in whatever location you changed it to in TomTom Home) and install it.

My feeling is that the installation process generates the mapsettings.cfg file which the unit needs to 'see' the map; I don't believe that simply extracting the map from the zip will create that file.

On the other hand, I may be completely wrong ... often am :D

I sent this note to TomTom, if anyone here can help....please do...

I downloaded western europe from the tomtom website. I paid by credit card. The map successfully downloaded and I instructed it to install on my memory card. The results said that it was successfully installed. However, there is no sign of the map on my 720. I looked on the memory card and realized that I had saved some files to it so there had not been room for the map to install on the memory card. I freed space on the memory card. The w. European map is available in the download folder of HOME 2.1. I can verify it is there on my PC. When I use Home to install the map, it shows its location as On My Computer. I instruct HOME intall the map on to the memory card and it says the installation is successful, but it happens in about 30 seconds and nothing is actually installed. I tried to manually move the map to the memory card and then install, but that did not work. Could you please assist me in this?
Thanks

joey

I sent this note to TomTom, if anyone here can help....please do...

I I tried to manually move the map to the memory card and then install, but that did not work. Could you please assist me in this?
Thanks

joey

I give up. If TT can't help me, then I have a useless map on my hands. I reformated the SD card and tried to reinstall the European map. The same thing happened, It said the install was successful in about 15 seconds, not nearly enough time to move 1.7 gb to the SD card. Sure enough, nothing is there even though Home says it is successful. I fear something went wrong with the downloaded file and I don't know how to download again.

joey

Thx,
Joey
Um... you MUST use the TomTom Home "install" in order to unpack those zip files and turn them into something useful on the 720 or the SD card. If you just copy the downloaded map file set (the zip, toc, cab and gif files) to your 720, it won't have the first clue as to what to do with them.

You can't just extract files from the ZIP file and move them to the SD card, either. The zip file is designed to be unpacked and "authorized" for use by the TomTom Home installation process, and it uses the TOC file (among other things) to accomplish this.

Only AFTER the unpacking and installation of those files by TomTom Home can the resulting files be freely moved between your 720 and the SD card, and (if you've done a backup to your hard drive of the installed files you wound up with on your SD or 720) between your hard drive and either the 720 or the SD card.

Again -- simply extracting the ZIP map file you have downloaded to either the SD or the 720 doesn't, by itself, accomplish anything on these systems except to use up space.

Last edited:
Um... you MUST use the TomTom Home "install" in order to unpack those zip files and turn them into something useful on the 720 or the SD card. If you just copy the downloaded map file set (the zip, toc, cab and gif files) to your 720, it won't have the first clue as to what to do with them.

Again -- simply extracting the ZIP map file you have downloaded to either the SD or the 720 doesn't, by itself, accomplish anything on these systems except to use up space.

I did use the Home install. The Home install tells me that the maps are installed, but they are not. I have also noticed that when I added MP3 files to the SD card, they are not showing up on the TT. However, when I look on the SD, they are there. It does not look to me like HOME is moving files like it is supposed to. I wonder what would happen if I move the cab file to the TT, like loading a file on my smartphone.

joey

Ask a Question