POI downloading uploading

I've got a TT 720 and I downloaded some poi files directly on to my 2gb SD disk through my computer. But when I put the disck back in the TT those pois aren't there. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

I've got a TT 720 and I downloaded some poi files directly on to my 2gb SD disk through my computer. But when I put the disck back in the TT those pois aren't there. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

The POI files (*.ov2, *.bmp) need to be in the MAP folder of your TomTom (i.e. /North_Americal or /USA_and_Canada)

In the TT folder on my computer? And is it then uploaded to my TT disk automatically when I do an update? thanks.

In the TT folder on my computer? And is it then uploaded to my TT disk automatically when I do an update? thanks.

If you were using TomTom HOME to download the files, I would expect it to put them in the correct place on your TomTom, but sometimes that really is asking a lot..

What I was directing you to do was find the *.ov2 and *.bmp file for the POI and insure it is located in the map folder of your TomTom....if not, use Windows Explorer to manually copy them into your map folder.

Prior to getting a map update, make an Explorer backup of the earlier map folder. Then if the custom poi's were not copied over automatically during the map installation (sometimes they are, sometimes they are not), then you simply re-copy the .ov2s and .bmps from the backup to the new map.

the MAP folder is in my Download folder (and so isn't the POI folder) in my HOME folder. do you want it in that MAP folder as opposed to the POI folder?

You should have a SPECIFIC map folder on your unit (like 'North_America'). The poi's & bmps go into THAT folder, not a poi folder on the unit.

If that is the map you are using, then there more than likely are 2 files: poi.dat & crpoi.dat. These represent the built in poi's that come with the map.

Any custom made or dl poi's are in separate files with an extension of .ov2 and .bmp (if there is one). It is THESE that you want to make sure you put in the specific map folder.

btw, do you have any other specific maps folders besides 'usa&canada'??

The only other one is Guam. I'll give it shot and see what happens. But its still strange that all the other POI files that I've added are in the DOWNLOAD / POI folder

You have a folder on your UNIT, not the COMPUTER, called 'download' and, within that folder you have a subfolder called 'poi'????

If you do and that's where your missing poi's are then:
  • Use Explorer to move the poi files to the usa&canada map folder
  • Delete the download folder (and the poi folder within)
  • In Home, preferences menu of Home, check exactly the folder location of each of the categories there (Downloads of programs, backups from unit, etc.) Did somehow you change the default location for 1 or more folders to point to your unit instead of a drive on your computer?

The only other one is Guam. I'll give it shot and see what happens. But its still strange that all the other POI files that I've added are in the DOWNLOAD / POI folder

Sounds Like TomTom HOME goofed this up if they really created this folder on your TomTOm and put the POI files there!

the folders and files that I'm talking about are not on my unit but on my computer found in My Doc/TOMTOM/Download -- under download there is a Map folder and a separate POI folder. There are only Maps in the Map folder and all the POIs that I've downloaded are in that POI folder.

Do you NOT have a specific map folder ('usa&canada') on the unit? If not, you have to install the map using Home.

Once the map is on the unit, use Explorer to copy the pois from your computer to the map folder on the unit.

Last edited:
the folders and files that I'm talking about are not on my unit but on my computer found in My Doc/TOMTOM/Download -- under download there is a Map folder and a separate POI folder. There are only Maps in the Map folder and all the POIs that I've downloaded are in that POI folder.
I don't care, all of us don't care, for sure Tomtom don't care and I strongly suggest you should NOT care what you have in YOUR COMPUTER. What important is that what on your Tomtom GPS device.
If you have a million POIs on your computer, located somewhere, and NOT one POI on your GPS unit, do NOT expect finding it on your Tomtom device.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot showing the folder layout in my HOME folder on my computer. How does it look?

Attachments

• TomTom folders.jpg
    TomTom folders.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 303
I don't suppose there is any way to get a clearer shot than that? My eyes ain't what they used to be. :eek: :)

Thank you for the trouble you went to in order to show the screenshots.

The second one, showing the contents of your NA map folder looks perfectly fine. It is there that any dl .ov2 files should appear. Are you saying that when you goto Preferences-->Show POI on Map, that none of the categories like 'schools', 'dunkin_donuts', etc. can't be seen in the list or can't be checked?

Ask a Question