Own a One? Why buy a new map?

Maps are cheaper for the One's if you go to subregions (eg: USA & Canada, not North America).

I agree. It often costs less (net) to buy a refurb 720 and sell your One on craigslist, rather than buy a new One. Refurbs are not supposed to permit LMG (per a call to Tomtom), but others had success pleading their case and getting one anyways.

Cheaper, but not by that much. $60 for a map that covers Texas and the surrounding states... or pay $40 more and get a brand-new piece of hardware, *and* all 48 :) states. (Plus the sovereign Republic of Texas.)

I think the regional maps are overpriced, anyway, if they're at the same level of detail as the national map. Perhaps if there was additional information, like waterways and county lines -- I'm a sucker for watching county boundaries pass by. Do the TT maps even include state lines? In any case, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the regional maps are anything more than a subset of the larger database.

Plus, there's the issue of space... I've got 1GB, non-expandable without a screwdriver and a soldering iron, so there's no room for a secondary map.

I'll be better off to get a new base model -- and maybe I'll get lucky and find a 2GB unit on sale. The Razor & Blades model only works of the blades are at least a *little* bit cheaper than the razor.

I paid 250$cdn for my ONE XL-S thirteen months ago and it was the cheapest price for that model at that time...

There are many examples of consumables costing as much or more than the unit such as ink for jet printers and even some laser printers. While you can easily navigate with a three month old map, you can't print when the ink has dried or the cartridge is empty. When all that was available were paper maps, I don't think you felt you needed the latest each and every year. I kept mine for about 5 years before considering buying a new one. Of course, I am not a cab or truck driver and my driving is not for business.

The other part of the equation is the details on new maps are scarce and one is often ignorant on wether the new map will hold significant changes in your personal use of it.

Ask a Question