outdated maps

I purchased a TomTom One 130s two weeks ago and discovered immediately a big problem: the maps for my home city and the block where I live are outdated. My house is, according to these maps, in the middle of a field. The house is seven years old. There are many other locations that are not properly marked. I've used the map correction feature on the device and logged it on to my computer and internet link, and I've reported these errors numerous times. But, to date, the changes haven't been made and there's been no acknowledgement of my effort to get them made. Does TomTom ever actually correct its maps, or am I reporting these errors in vain? Who has the best GPS maps? I'm considering returning this one before my 30 days are up (the return policy at the local retailer.)
Thanks

What version of the map do you have and have you updated your map using the Latest Map Guarantee?

Assuming your unit does not have the latest map, it will be important to determine if you got it from an "authorized" retailer in order to be able to use the 30 day map guarantee. If from a local retailer, you are probably OK.

Have you updated the application on the unit, and then told it to update the unit again? It should generally offer to download a new map through TomTom Home. Don't forget to make a copy of your unit's entire contents with windows explorer first.

I would call TomTom support if you have done the above without success and keep you eye on your 30 day return date.

As for TomTom maps, if you get the latest, I would be surprised if your neighborhood is not shown. My initial maps did not have mine, but the next update did.

Assuming your unit does not have the latest map, it will be important to determine if you got it from an "authorized" retailer in order to be able to use the 30 day map guarantee. If from a local retailer, you are probably OK.

Have you updated the application on the unit, and then told it to update the unit again? It should generally offer to download a new map through TomTom Home. Don't forget to make a copy of your unit's entire contents with windows explorer first.

I would call TomTom support if you have done the above without success and keep you eye on your 30 day return date.

As for TomTom maps, if you get the latest, I would be surprised if your neighborhood is not shown. My initial maps did not have mine, but the next update did.
I bought the GPS at Radio Shack. I've had it about two weeks. The map version loaded now is 8.010. I'm pretty sure I've already loaded what's supposed to be the latest map. I've reported the road errors several times, but the updates don't show any changes. What number can one call to reach TomTom for assistance? Thanks so much for replying.

It depends upon the kind of errors you report. Those that require a phsical change to a road will not show up in a mapshare update; one can only hope a future map upgrade reflects the change.

Also, a change reported by more people than fewer gets higher priority.

I bought the GPS at Radio Shack. I've had it about two weeks. The map version loaded now is 8.010. I'm pretty sure I've already loaded what's supposed to be the latest map. I've reported the road errors several times, but the updates don't show any changes. What number can one call to reach TomTom for assistance? Thanks so much for replying.

That isn't your map version. That is your TomTom software/OS version. I just bought my ONE XL last week and the map wasnt fully up to date. The map my ONE XL had was 710, and after reading online I saw that 725 was the latest. What you do to use the latest map guarantee is you open up TomTom Home (on your PC) with your tomtom plugged in of course, then on the top menu, click "tools" then click "Use latest map guarantee" and it will scan and check to see if you have the latest map installed, and if you qualify (first 30 days of owning product) you will be able to instantly download and install the newest map. It worked PERFECT for me.

You get 30 days of free map updates. If 3 new maps are released within the first month you buy the product, they are all yours free. You NEED to click on "Latest map guarantee" ASAP before your 30 day window is up. PLEASE check back with us here and let us know what happens.

To check your current map version, while viewing a map or something on your tomtom, tap on the reception bar area, then on the next screen you should see a grey box that says "version 8.010" then tap on that grey box, then the next screen will tell you your system info which will show your map version. Let us know what version of map it says you have installed.

Last edited:
I'm afraid TomTom has been quite restrictive such that the user gets only ONE kick at the can, so to speak, in the first 30 days. In other words, even if there are 2 new map releases in the 30 days, if the user got the 1st map using the LMG, he/she won't get the other.

Somewhere on TomTom's site, it even mentions that but trying to find anything on the site is often like finding a needle in the haystack.

I'm afraid TomTom has been quite restrictive such that the user gets only ONE kick at the can, so to speak, in the first 30 days. In other words, even if there are 2 new map releases in the 30 days, if the user got the 1st map using the LMG, he/she won't get the other.

Somewhere on TomTom's site, it even mentions that but trying to find anything on the site is often like finding a needle in the haystack.

Whoops I had misread TomTom's text on their website. Correct, you do only get one free map download, but they mention you can "check as many times as you want" which is the part I first misread. Either way, CHECK YOUR MAP VERSION AND USE THE LATEST MAP GUARANTEE BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT!!

Here's the link to TomTom's page that shows you exactly how to use the feature. I can't stress it enough, HURRY!

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=latest+map&FID=7954

I purchased a TomTom One 130s two weeks ago and discovered immediately a big problem: the maps for my home city and the block where I live are outdated. My house is, according to these maps, in the middle of a field. The house is seven years old. There are many other locations that are not properly marked. I've used the map correction feature on the device and logged it on to my computer and internet link, and I've reported these errors numerous times. But, to date, the changes haven't been made and there's been no acknowledgement of my effort to get them made. Does TomTom ever actually correct its maps, or am I reporting these errors in vain? Who has the best GPS maps? I'm considering returning this one before my 30 days are up (the return policy at the local retailer.)
Thanks
I've had a TomTom One for a couple of years and bought the heavily touted and promoted "new" Western Europe maps which were said to have many additions. Well, I had the same problem as you but with a twist.

A number of roads and road layouts which were present in the original version I bought were absent in the upgraded ones, e.g. my father's house which is 10 years old and was on the orginal maps is now shown as being in a field.

Despite a long to and fro with customer service where they basically tried to fob me off with lame excuses, they finally admitted that I'd installed the maps correctly and that yes, those roads etc were missing from the new maps. They suggested I could use map share to correct the problem which just about took the biscuit.

And they weren't going to refund my money.

Also, once you check for an update, but choose not to download it yet, the map version originally offered will be the one you get throughout the 30 day period, even if a newer one becomes available in that time. :mad:

As stated before, new roads sometimes take years to appear on TomTom maps. :confused:

Ask a Question