Order from TomTom

I purchased a spare TomTom go 730 mount from TomToms U.S.A. web site, I am from the U.S.A. Did you know that they bill you from the overseas headquarters site and in doing so you will incure a 3 percent charge fee from your credit card company. I thought i would mention this if any of you folks didnt know about this. So beware of large purchases, you prolly will be charged this fee when you buy your maps online.:eek:

Try using cards from capital one. They are the only major US credit card company that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

I purchased a spare TomTom go 730 mount from TomToms U.S.A. web site, I am from the U.S.A. Did you know that they bill you from the overseas headquarters site and in doing so you will incure a 3 percent charge fee from your credit card company. I thought i would mention this if any of you folks didnt know about this. So beware of large purchases, you prolly will be charged this fee when you buy your maps online.:eek:

I ordered a spare 730 mount, charger, and antenna, and they did not charge a 3% extra fee. I also bought the newest map and a map subscription, and again, there was no surcharge on my credit card. Maybe you ordered from their European website?

I ordered a spare 730 mount, charger, and antenna, and they did not charge a 3% extra fee. I also bought the newest map and a map subscription, and again, there was no surcharge on my credit card. Maybe you ordered from their European website?

If I would have ordered it from a European web site it would have charged me in there currency. I have a receipt that says I spent US dollars, It even shipped from Ft. Worth Texas.

This is a load of bunk and yet one more reason why this is the first and last TomTom I'll ever buy.

According to TomTom customer service, all of their servers are located in Europe -- so all updates come from there and all download services are charged there. If you buy accessories (like a mount), they ship from here, but download a map -- its coming from Amsterdam, and being paid for in euros -- and thus a foreign transaction.

Its clear to me that TomTom is still very much a European company that doesn't care about U.S. customers enough to put a fully operattonal facility here in the U.S. Their North American HQs may be in Massachusetts, but apparently there's no IT here.

This is a load of bunk and yet one more reason why this is the first and last TomTom I'll ever buy.

According to TomTom customer service, all of their servers are located in Europe -- so all updates come from there and all download services are charged there. If you buy accessories (like a mount), they ship from here, but download a map -- its coming from Amsterdam, and being paid for in euros -- and thus a foreign transaction.

Its clear to me that TomTom is still very much a European company that doesn't care about U.S. customers enough to put a fully operattonal facility here in the U.S. Their North American HQs may be in Massachusetts, but apparently there's no IT here.

I've purchased 1 map upgrade on a debit card and their subscription on a credit card. The debit card doesnt accept foreign transactions. I just checked my bank records and credit card records and there was no foreign transaction charges for either purchases. No sales tax either. The amount quoted was exactly (to the cent) the amount charged...To top that off the prefix on both had NLD which stands for Netherlands...

I've bought 2 accessories from Tomtom.com using a credit card. No additional charges either. Matter fact I still have the boxes and they were shipped from..

FWS Fulfillment Center
13500 Independence Parkway
ATTN: TT Dock Door 29
Fort Worth, TX 76177

So they obviously some sort of facility in the US even if its just for shipping stuff. I'd recommend ditching the discover or whatever kiddie credit card banking system you are using....

I think a lot of people get a credit card without doing any research on them. Then when they get some odd charge its not because of their lack of homework its because someone is ripping them off...

I've purchased 1 map upgrade on a debit card and their subscription on a credit card. The debit card doesnt accept foreign transactions. I just checked my bank records and credit card records and there was no foreign transaction charges for either purchases. No sales tax either. The amount quoted was exactly (to the cent) the amount charged...To top that off the prefix on both had NLD which stands for Netherlands...

I've bought 2 accessories from Tomtom.com using a credit card. No additional charges either. Matter fact I still have the boxes and they were shipped from..

FWS Fulfillment Center
13500 Independence Parkway
ATTN: TT Dock Door 29
Fort Worth, TX 76177

So they obviously some sort of facility in the US even if its just for shipping stuff. I'd recommend ditching the discover or whatever kiddie credit card banking system you are using....

I think a lot of people get a credit card without doing any research on them. Then when they get some odd charge its not because of their lack of homework its because someone is ripping them off...

On my orders also no foreign sur charge. Came from the usa.

For what it is worth could it be possible that when you were on the TT website that you had your location box as UK rather than US ?? just a thought .

Ask a Question