Oooops - what did I do?!!

I'd really appreciate a boffin's help! :)

I just bought a second hand GO 510, and wanted to put a larger memory card in it.

So I backed up the smartcard by putting it into a reader and dragging the files into a file on my desktop [Mac OSX].
Then I deleted the contents of that smartcard.

I did the same with the card in my older GO which has a bigger memory [but I didn't wipe it yet].

(The intention was to exchange the memory cards ... so first I had to back them up.)

Trouble was ... when I tried to drag the files from my old GO onto the 'new' memory card [with low memory], not all the files would go in. So I removed the voices [which I had added at an earlier date].
Same problem....

A message said that there wasn't enough room for 'autorun'.

Just to test it, I tried to put the same files back into the memory that I got them from, but again got the same message.

That didn't make any sense to me as it was the same card and same information.

When I connect the GO 510 to TThome it can't see a memory card. The GO 510, when the card is in, shows the icon of a red cross on the file.

I hope someone out there can assist!
Thanks
John, Skelmersdale, UK

I'd really appreciate a boffin's help! :)

I just bought a second hand GO 510, and wanted to put a larger memory card in it.
Just so that we don't start wrong, the new card wasn't more than 2GB, was it? The 510 won't read anything larger.

So I backed up the smartcard by putting it into a reader and dragging the files into a file on my desktop [Mac OSX].
Then I deleted the contents of that smartcard.
I ain't no OSX guy, so mind my possibly poor terminology, but we've seen this problem so frequently that I feel like I can provide an answer.

When you deleted the files, your Mac created a local "trashcan" (hidden, since it's called ".Trashes") of those files on the SD card, each also hidden with a "." in front of the filename, and they're still there taking up their original space on the card. There are utilities out there that will prevent OSX from doing this for external drives to avoid the problem on your TT and USB thumb drives and other similar devices. A couple have been mentioned here in other threads.

One cute trick I've seen is to kill the folder on the USB drive and then create a file (file, not folder) in the root of your thumb drives (and TomTom) called ".Trashes". That prevents OSX from ever creating a trash folder there again, and OSX will ask if you want to delete files when you try to delete them since it knows they won't be saved in a trash can.

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Fob/.Trashes
touch /Volumes/Fob/.Trashes

...where “Fob” is the name of the thumb drive (or any other drive).

Meanwhile, you'll have to delete these hidden copies with the period in front of the name to make the space available again. Emptying your trash will do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming to the rescue, C.

I get a bit confused in new tech territories!

1) Yes, it's 2GB card
2) I think I can just get 'disc utility' to erase the space on the memory.

I was worried that by just dragging the files off has caused some vital breakdown somewhere in the invisible techno world....

I have just backed up the contents from the 2GB card while attached to the old satnav.

Presumably I can erase that [in disc utility] and dump the saved contents from the 'new' satnav onto it. There'll be plenty of extra space around - should it be needed...

Anyway, I'll empty the trash, and erase both memories properly. Then restore the old satnav fitted with the small memory card, and drag the contents of the 'new' saved satnav data onto the 2GB card ... and hope that works.

It'll seem like kindergarten to you, but I'm only just emerging from the forest of confusion!
Thanks for your help
John

Success! I feel empowered!!
Thank you...

There is one other thing though.... :)

The old satnav worked ok - I loaded stuff into it from the TThome prog. There was lots more space on that little memory card after I erazed the free space.

I did the same with the othet card, loaded the saved info onto it and connected it to the TThome prog.

When I tried to download some voices onto it, it wouldn't work - The error message was:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: /Volumes/NO NAME/voices/data114.vif
@ /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b1051co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../HomeBase/portable/cfile.cpp(1938)
@ /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b1051co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b1051co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../DesktopLib/framework/DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Goodness knows why it can't read it - I didn't do anything to it!

????

John

I'm not sure what voice #114 is. Home wasn't happy about it when it went to take the inventory of your unit, though.

Suggestion - take all of the data114.* files from your voices folder (should be a *.chk, *.tlv and *.vif, and maybe a *.bmp) and copy them safely off to your PC, then delete them from the unit, and see how things go from there. It sounds like Home was struggling with this one.

Ask a Question