one xl, lost street names?

Hi

I purchased the new maps last week, installation went find.
Last time I used the gps was last fall.
I don't have the street names spoken when we turn.
The voices folder has data07 & data08,, chk & vif respective.
The menu shows Lori & Bonnie

I am on the road.
Where can I find the voice that gives street names??

Thanks
JJ

Did you ever have spoken street names on your model? And, which model do you have? Does it end with an 's'??

If you do have a model with computer voice capabilities, you'll find it under 'voice preferences'.

If you have access to a computer, can you connect your unit and see the contents with Explorer? Does it have either a loquendotts folder or a vocalizer folder?

Did you ever have spoken street names on your model? And, which model do you have? Does it end with an 's'??

Yes, it has spoken street names in the past

One XL,, no S, serial C-no;l44028C00768 rel: 4s00.008

If you do have a model with computer voice capabilities, you'll find it under 'voice preferences'.

Yes, as stated the voices are Lori & Bonnie

If you have access to a computer, can you connect your unit and see the contents with Explorer? Does it have either a loquendotts folder or a vocalizer folder?

I have a 2gb sd card loaded in the tomtom,
It has a loquendotts and voice folders, no vocalizer folder.

JJ

As far as I know, the One XL and One XL S models came out in 2007. Only the 'S' model had text to speech (i.e, computer voices). So, I'm somewhat befuddled.

Do you run EVERYTHING off your card, meaning maps, application and everything else? And what is the application on your unit? (tap the satellite bars to find out).

It could be an earlier application allowed for TTS and if you upgraded, it stopped that functionality; I'm just surmising here.

As far as I know, the One XL and One XL S models came out in 2007. Only the 'S' model had text to speech (i.e, computer voices). So, I'm somewhat befuddled.

Do you run EVERYTHING off your card, meaning maps, application and everything else? And what is the application on your unit? (tap the satellite bars to find out).

It could be an earlier application allowed for TTS and if you upgraded, it stopped that functionality; I'm just surmising here.

This may be an S model, as I remember I wanted the S because of the spoken street names. At the time there was only one voice that supported spoken street names, forgot which??

The screen shows v.8.010

Is there a way of accessing the internals to show model?? on the bottom it says tomtom xl to the left of the serial tag and 4S00.008 to the right

The earliest date on the card is for InstalltomtomHOME.exe 6/1/2007

Thanks for the help
JJ

Last edited:
If you can access the contents of the unit, the ttgo.bif file will show the device name.

You didn't answer..............

Do you run everything off the card?

If you can access the contents of the unit, the ttgo.bif file will show the device name.

You didn't answer..............

Do you run everything off the card?

I do not have an editor for a BIF file type. can you suggest an association?

I can see all the TomTom files on the card and it is installed in the tomtom. I assume it is running on the SD card?? I do not remember ever making any choice in the mater??

JJ

The BIF file is a simple text file that can be opened with Notepad.

Here are the contents of the bif file:With redacted home address..

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
DeviceSerialNumber=L44028C00768
DeviceUniqueID=AK8AG ASJTS
RamDiskVersion=20080529
BootLoaderVersion=53013
LinuxVersion=190943
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
UserLanguage=English US
UserName=L44028C00768
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=3
CurrentVoiceInfo=Lori
CurrentMap=USA_and_Canada
CurrentMapVersion=830.2322
CurrentHomeLocation=xx.70316,-xx.35537,xxx xxxxxx,xxx,fl
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
ValueRatio=B6FuuVNZpg2B6L5Zrg==
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusBuddies,PlusMobileSafetyCameras,PlusRoadConditions,PlusFixedSafetyCameras,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusOnlineCamera,PlusTripReporting,HomeBackup,TTS,TTSCompressed,PhotoJPGViewer,PhotoBMPViewer,Newyork,Newyork1Dot6,Itinerary,Caymann,Durham,PhoneFeatures,CarSymbol,RDSTMC,Prague,Bluetooth,SDSlot,InternalFlash
SupportedPatchTypes=1F
NrSupportedErrorTypes=132
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=150
MapServerPatchDatVersion=104
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=203
CharacterSet=Latin-1

When you go to Voice preferences, are you saying only 2 are listed and neither has the word 'computer' after the name?

Yes, the word "computer" in not there. There are other voices listed, but each says "install from cd or download"

jj

I found the problem.
I am on the road and our laptop did not have TT home installed.
I installed a new version and attempted to install a computer voice.
I was warned the sd card was low on space(only 8.6 mb remained), so I allowed TTH to remove suggested files.

I suspect that when I updated the maps before leaving I also was told to remove some info and the computer voices were chopped.

I have reinstalled Kate.

The SD card is only 1gb, need to get a 4gb..

Thanks for the help..

JJ

A little info,,

I don't have my usb cable with me,,,

So,, I slipped the sd card in the reader slot on my Thinkpad..

Surprise,, the TTH software recognized the sd card as a TT1XLS and loaded the computer voice directly onto the sd card.

New News to me?? Might help someone..

JJ

Ask a Question