ONE IQ Routes will not work

TomTom Model(s)
ONE IQ Routes Edition
Hi, I've been having real problems with my ONE IQ Routes Sat Nav, so I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone wiser than myself can help.

My TomTom decided one to start asking me to set the language/left or right handed/which way to display the time, and to set the time. It started doing this out of the blue, I hadn't connected it to a computer to update it in 3 months or more. The next day it began to freeze on the 'set time' screen before rebooting back to the start screen in an odd, frustrating loop.

After trying far too much to post on this forum all together I decided to try something simple that in theory should work as far as I understand it. Here goes:

I have deleted all items from the TomTom ONE IQ Routes, then connected to TomTom HOME and downloaded the application offered, from here I turned the sat nav on. It got
passed the initial 'Logo' screen but on the 'set time' screen froze, and restarted.

So I connected to the computer, told I had an invalid version of the application on my sat nav from here I was offered another application, slightly larger in size. So I installed it.
When my sat nav asked if I wanted to connect to the computer I said yes (as requested by TomTom HOME)

No error message! No more updates to the application, so I disconnect and turn the sat nav on, select the language, tap the screen anywhere to begin, select left-handed operation, select how the time should be displayed and select the time - it freezes and restarts at exactly the same place.

I'm baffled, there shouldn't be an invalid file on this Sat nav as the only files on it are the applications downloaded from TomTom HOME.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me!

First, you say you "deleted all items from the TomTom ONE IQ Routes". Do you really mean "all"?!? PLEASE tell us that somewhere, somehow, you created a backup copy of your map folder before you did this. If you don't have a map anywhere, it's going to get very ugly. It could be the result of using the Latest Map Guarantee when you bought the unit, it could be the result of a manual backup of your unit with your OS or with Home, or you might have purchased a map, but you REALLY need to have had a backup somewhere on your PC.

If you have a map backup on your PC somewhere, we may be able to get you running again.

Somehow, your device seems to have lost your user configuration information. Once you've answered about the map, we'll likely recommend you format the entire unit, then use a little "Clear Flash" tool that clears out all user info, and start again with Home.

Hi Canderson, yes I have a backup of the entire contents of the sat nav, including maps.

It having lost my user configuration information is news to me. I have formatted the device according to the directions on the support section of the TomTom website. Updated the application twice from TomTom HOME, and run the clear tool.

I couldn't run the Clear Flash before installing the applications because the 'TomTom Setup' application would not find my Sat Nav without them installed.

What would you recommend doing next?

That's a relief!

Yes. The normal steps would be to make the backup - you've done that.
Next would be to format the device. Full, not Quick format. FAT32.
Plug device in, fire up Home.
Accept and install application.
Run clear-flash tool.
Reinstall maps from backup.

Important question: Do you know what version TomTom was offering when your problem began? Any chance it was 9.061? One way to know is to hook your unit up to Home, ignore Home, and check the root of your device for a file called ttgo.bif. Use your favorite text editor to read this file. About the 9th line starts with "ApplicationVersionVersionNumber". What version follows?

The reason I ask is because 9.061 is sometimes offered in error, and comes with a bootloader that is not compatible with 9.053.

In your case, I would first nuke any applications currently resident on your PC. That means wiping out any folders found in My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\program
This will prevent Home from trying to reinstall anything you already had (good or bad) sitting on your PC. I believe Home SHOULD be offering 9.053 for that device. However, if your ONE has already been exposed to 9.061, it may be necessary to find a copy of that for you somewhere.

I can't be certain which application version I had when the problems began, I have installed a number of updates, wiped and repeated since this problem has occurred. However in Documents/TomTom/HOME/Download/complete/program it says I only have version 8.415 and 9.053. I also checked ttgo.bif and it says "ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9053".

I deleted the documents in the Documents/TomTom/Home/Download/complete/program folder, then wiped the sat nav again. Disconnected, reconnected, and it offers me application version 8.415. So I install, disconnect, let it reboot and it gets stuck on the 'Please set the correct time:' screen before restarting itself. So now I'm installing version 9.053, I let it reboots and alas it's frozen on the set time screen again..

Tough one to fix this one? :rolleyes:

At least we know you are at 9.053. That's good.

Someone recently reported / complained (and by recently, I mean within the last year - ouch) about being stuck on the time screen. I cannot recall if this is one of the cases where using the emulator in Home to "Operate my ..." and using Home to navigate to any random destination 'unfroze' things, or whether it was a case where adding or deleting one of the favorites worked. It's nagging me that I can't recall that situation clearly.

canderson, try an advanced search for "stuck time". That comes up with several topics (at least two or three about XL's stuck on the time setting screen).
I'd wade through them myself but need to do some other stuff right now.

So an interesting development, I have now installed the map back onto the device and the 'Jane' voice, then moved to operate the device through TomTom HOME. From here I navigated to somewhere or other, then added and deleted a favourite.

Then I disconnected and the device is freezing on the TomTom logo screen at start up. So I'm having to hold the on button to reset it each time again. When I connected to the computer it now tells my I have an error 573, which is a problem with the application (!?)

So I checked ttgo.bif on the device and it's definitely 'ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9053'

I've just put the postcodes back onto the device now too, navigated via HOME to an address, favourited a location and deleted that favourite again and the poor little thing is still freezing at the initial logo screen. I'm going to leave it to see if it moves on now but last time I did it stayed at the logo screen for an hour before I gave up. :) I don't know if this helps to unravel the mystery a little further.

Thanks!

Would have done so, but was on the way out the door myself right after that last reply.

Man... was that a bugger to find, or what?

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t23526-sos-my-tt-xl-iq-routes-keeps-rebooting-itself.html

In the end, perhaps the suggestion above about using the emulator to add/delete a favorite ( https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18701-how-solve-unit-rebooting-issue-when-updating-map.html ) may have helped. It was suggested that this be performed at the point where the 8.415 code was running, but I'd be inclined to try it while the 9.053 code is running.

Looks like I'm about 3 minutes too late in 're-recommending' the add/delete favorite! You're further ahead than you were before with a slightly different problem. Freezing at the initial logo screen is at least different from freezing at the time setting screen.

Quite, I wonder though if I get passed the logo screen if it won't reboot at the set time screen again, lol!

Ask a Question