On screen compass

TomTom Model(s)
go 920
I'm a new user and this is probably a stupid question, but I'm asking anyway: I use 2D map view with north at the top, so what is the compass pointing at? I know it's not north because north is at the top of the screen, and it's not direction of travel. It doesn't seem to be my destination either. I know this is trivial, but it's one of those little things that drive me nuts. Also what happened to having compass settings in the menu? Any help or insight is appreciated.

I rarely use 2D mode so I can't recall on top of my head but AFAIK, with NC8, compass only points NORTH. If you know for sure, it doesn't point NORTH then it must be broken (or need to confirm in 2D mode)

My guess is that it point to the direction where your destination is from your current location, but I might be wrong, since I don't use 2D view

My guess is that it point to the direction where your destination is from your current location, but I might be wrong, since I don't use 2D view

you are wrong ;)
The compass (as by definition) points to North. And that's the only thing the new compass from TT does.

--pilsit

you are wrong ;)
The compass (as by definition) points to North. And that's the only thing the new compass from TT does.

--pilsit

Clarification -- it points the direction of north compared to the direction you're actually traveling. For example, if you are traveling north and you've set the map to 2D with north always being up, if the compass arrow points right, that means north is to the right of your vehicle. So in your mind, disconnect the compass from the map. The compass is displaying north compared to your vehicle, not compared to the map.

I see
Since I never use 2D map
so I don't know the way it works
but, isn't it kind of pointless?
since you can tell my just looking at the map right?

Clarification -- it points the direction of north compared to the direction you're actually traveling. For example, if you are traveling north and you've set the map to 2D with north always being up, if the compass arrow points right, that means north is to the right of your vehicle. So in your mind, disconnect the compass from the map. The compass is displaying north compared to your vehicle, not compared to the map.

Awesome!! That makes perfect sense, thanks!!

Well said, m8

Ask a Question