Nooby 340XL user "Route Planning" question

Picked up a new 340XL to assist with my real estate activities and it looks to be a nice unit but does it ever actually finish planning a route? Whether the "Navigate To" location I enter is a few miles or a few hundred miles away the "Busy Planning Route/(X) roads analyzed/Writing route instructions (33%)" constantly flashes across the bottom of the screen. I have shut it off and restarted and left it untouched on the counter until the battery is depleted and after recharging and booting back up it goes back into the loop. Do I have a faulty 340XL?:confused:

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Certainly sounds like some issue...

what restrictions have you set in Planning Preferences? Start by unchecking all restrictions and selecting 'fastest' and allow for using toll roads, etc.

Then try a planning trip of short duration, like 4 or 5 miles away. Does it finish planning then?

Sounds like a corrupt or defective flash memory. If you purchased it in a store recently, I'd recommend exchanging it for another one.

Try resetting the device, if its got a reset hole in the base give it a prod with a paperclip/ pin etc, if there is no reset hole on the base press and hold the power on/ off button until the device restarts with a drum roll.

The only time I have seen issues such as this is when using shortest route to plan a long distance trip, the unit seems to run out of memory and crashes out, the answer is to not use shortest route which is fairly useless in a car anyway - Mike

I have a 720 and have the same issue. I have had for over a month (too long to return to Amazon) so I suppose I will have to rely on TT tech support/warranty. Have hit the reset button, have turned it on and off, have even totally formatted the memory and reinstalled everything from the backup I made when I got the unit as indicated on here. Any ideas?

Try resetting the device, if its got a reset hole in the base give it a prod with a paperclip/ pin etc, if there is no reset hole on the base press and hold the power on/ off button until the device restarts with a drum roll. - Mike

I actually have a 340xl-s along with the owners manual, and it does NOT have a reset hole button. After pressing the on/off button for twenty seconds, it does NOT have a drum roll screen or drum roll sound byte.
After pressing the on/off button for twenty seconds, I get a bright green screen, then turns itself off.

When using my 330xl-s and 340xl-s units, I receive the same route planning messages when I lose navigational gps signal, I am just thankful that TT does not trigger a sound byte "signal lost-calculating route" like other brand names. I also receive the message more with the 340xl-s when iq routing feature is turned on. After the 340xl-s does it route planning message, the unit displays the same route as the 330xl-s.

When the 340 xls is connected to Home, if you disconnect the unit using the blue icon on the bottom right of Home's screen, when the unit starts again, you should hear the drums as it reboots.

Although my post was ignored, I would like to update this thread so that it will hopefully help someone in the future. My problem was that I live in a new subdivision that has not yet been mapped by Teleatlas. Thus, when I am at home, the Tom doesn't know where the heck it is. This seems to freak it out. Once I get onto a recognized road, it stops the loop and starts behaving again.

Although my post was ignored, I would like to update this thread so that it will hopefully help someone in the future. My problem was that I live in a new subdivision that has not yet been mapped by Teleatlas. Thus, when I am at home, the Tom doesn't know where the heck it is. This seems to freak it out. Once I get onto a recognized road, it stops the loop and starts behaving again.

That is good to know !! I haven't had that problem my self but I can see where it could cause problems.

Yes, I was this close to returning it to Amazon and had actually already started to return process to trade it for (gasp) a Garmin. Thankfully I messed with it a little more before my defection.

Ask a Question